Author Topic: Icedove Download?  (Read 4944 times)

jakfish

Icedove Download?
« on: June 27, 2011, 09:12:58 PM »
In search of Icedove for 3mx Ultra, but can't find a link.  Is Snownews available anywhere?

Thanks,
Jake

wicknix

Re: Icedove Download?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:53:07 AM »
I don't remember what i had all packaged and uploaded to 3mx-linux.co.uk, but it seems the site no longer exists.  :'(
So i'd say no, and no. I don't have any backups of those files either.

Cheers.

jakfish

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 12:22:56 PM »
Oh, dear.  A kind user recently posted here, offering to host 3mx files, but if there are no backups...

On the other hand, somebody's always got something; it's the internet, there's no escape :)

I have a fair amount of files to contribute to this worthy project, but had not downloaded ice dove.

Jake

Simon19

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 04:04:11 PM »
On the other hand, somebody's always got something; it's the internet, there's no escape :)

Hopefully so, is there no source for it? is it not cross complileable? (My spelling is brill.)

Mijzelf

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 07:38:01 PM »
On april 29 2009, when Wicknix said his freeshells.ch account would be suspended, I made a backup of his site. This doesn't seem to contain an icedove package.

jakfish

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 08:18:10 PM »
Mijzelf,

Thanks for that update.  Amazing that you have the whole site at hand.

I had seen ice dove mentioned in threads, in previous releases of 3mx, so was hoping to find it in a separate package.  But apparently, that's not going to happen.

I'm looking for a fast rss reader--sage in bon echo is too slow and won't scrape feeds the way other rss's will.  Newsbeuter would be perfect, but I don't know enough to compile it:

http://newsbeuter.org/

I use Newsbeuter in Puppy Linux 4.32 and it's perfect.  I had heard that ice dove had rss capabilities.

Jake

wicknix

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 06:50:30 AM »
Just out of curiosity.... can i ask whats wrong with the PAN newsreader which comes with 3MX-Ultra? It's fairly feature packed.

Cheers.

jakfish

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 11:21:07 AM »
I haven't ever put PAN through its paces.  I will do so this weekend.

Thanks for the suggestion,
Jake

jakfish

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 10:36:54 PM »
wicknix--

I seem to be doing something wrong--I can't install/load an rss feed.  Have you ever gotten Pan to play with an actual rss feed address?

Jake

wicknix

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 01:06:05 AM »
Haven't really used it for much other than usenet stuff. For kicks try this snownews tarball. Just extract it to /
Let me know if it works. http://www.hostwork.com/users/matt/alpha400/packages/snownews-mipsel.tar

Cheers

jakfish

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 03:08:36 AM »
Oooooh: snownews works and works nicely.  Running it the first time creates a /.snownews directory.  In that is a "urls" file and you can paste your feeds, save, and snownews will read and cache them the next time.

More good news: off-line reading.  The cache is the cache, so the feeds remain there, off or on-line.

Capital A should allow the formation of feed categories, but I get an error: "Need at least 80-COLS terminal, sorry!"  No big deal...

This is great stuff, and many thanks, wicknix.

If I could only get my Windows Mobile phone to connect via usb and a yet-unfound rndis usb driver, the LLL will be totally mobile.

Again, my gratitude,
Jake

higgybees

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 08:42:40 PM »
Hi All,
I have a few backups but no icedove. I have some of the old etchX11v3 and v4 and ultra3 if needed. Most of the 3mx site in groups browser, development etc.
Fred

jakfish

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 01:17:21 AM »
Hi, higgybees,

Thanks for looking into it.  Snownews really does the job.  And now I figured out how to tag the feeds and make different categories (there's very little how-to info about snownews).

Select feed, Shift-C, *then* Shift-A.  Then follow prompts to add new category.

Works a charm.

Jake