Author Topic: 3MX Ultra3 with 2.6 kernel w/sound released.  (Read 12151 times)

wicknix

Re: 3MX Ultra3 with 2.6 kernel w/sound released.
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »
My wifi-config starts udev in 3MX which is needed to load the zydas wifi firmware. I tried having udev load during boot but the system didnt seem to like that very much.

To make life easier just have a look in /usr/share/netconfig/applets. You could make a file called WEP and add the lines:
iwconfig eth1 mode managed essid JF key 1234567891
sleep 4
udhcpc -i eth1
to it and save. Now when you run wifi-config you'll see WEP as a connection option. Then just choose number 6 (wifi-on) then choose WEP to connect. :)

Cheers.

jakfish

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 01:38:32 PM »
Many thanks for the wifi advice.  Cuts down on the steps, and once wifi-config has run once, I can use my scripts that are in jwm.

Before I heard from you about the fstab file, I had put the sd card boot command on the first line of /etc/initd/start.sh.  It works, but is it kosher?

Jake

wicknix

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 07:14:42 PM »
It isnt really the "standard" way of doing it, but its fine the way you have it. Wont harm anything.

jakfish

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 01:04:22 AM »
Thanks again for the quick posts.  I may go tinker w/ the fstab file, just to teach myself one more new thing.  Learned a lot of sideways linux with this crossover to the new kernel, but all is well.

Jake

jakfish

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 11:19:51 AM »
Just a quick note to say the OS continues its greatness.  One small thing--I would like to set initial backlight display to 4, rather than 5.  In which file is that command?

Best,
Jake

wicknix

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 04:16:21 AM »
It's set by the kernel. You could add the backlight command to /etc/init.d/start if you'd like. However once the screen blanks it will revert back to 5 when you wake the device.

Cheers.

jakfish

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 02:06:49 PM »
That works, thanks.

Any workaround for the absence of proper touchpad clicking?  Touchpad clicking will work on upper righthand corner X, but won't, say, on desktop icons or menus (on menus, a double-click will occasionally work, and a single click will work once the menu has dropped).  I do feel as if I'm wearing out my left-click button, and given the fact that I've blown through two LLLs hardware with only nominal use, I'm on my last legs here :)

Jake

T_Nut

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 07:02:13 PM »
Hi All
My left mouse button is also on it's last legs it does'nt even click no more but it still works for now :D
i am tempted to install 3MX ultra 3 with 2.6k still a bit unsure with the install process i am a newbie still ;D
Many Thanks
Andrew
A linux Newbie. unemployed and getting bored

T_Nut

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 03:17:13 PM »
Hi All
Wicknix could we not rename the os as an img file and install would that mess up the nand or not because it would be easier.
And the kernel as you say to install.Any work around for the touchpad double tap yet.
There the two things stopping from me installing and i dont quite feel good enough as yet as i dont want to mess up my LLL.
Many Thanks
Andrew

wicknix

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 01:20:17 AM »
It could be done in theory i guess, but it'd cause some problems. If you already have the 2.6 kernel on nand then using an .img file wouldn't work because using F3 (recovery console) with the 2.6 kernel will wipe the recovery partition out rendering it useless. So not a good idea.

I guess you could rename it and boot using the 2.4 kernel to flash the 2.6 kernel version of 3MX, then boot from SD card to copy the 2.6 kernel to nand. It just seems like thats just as much work as doing it manaully.

Cheers.

T_Nut

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2011, 12:12:22 PM »
Cheers for the info wicknix will install when i get more confidence/experience with LLL
Many Thanks
Andrew

T_Nut

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 12:12:04 PM »
Hi All
A new link for 3MX Ultra 3 2.6 kernel from here
http://www.mediafire.com/?igsyib0rt2tpxfm
Many Thanks
Andrew

deepcore

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 09:52:17 AM »
Hi there. I tried to install the new kernel from specifications, and have succeded in partitioning the SD card correctly.
Also I have downloaded the 3MX Ultra3 2.6kernel rootfs.tar.bz2.

The instructions thereafter says to:
- Extract the rootfs to the second ext2 partition (as root user) -OK, no problems
- Then copy the kernel (uImage) from /boot to the fat16 partition.

... but where is this uImage file/directory ? I assume that it has to be somewhere in 3MX Ultra3 2.6kernel rootfs.tar.bz2. file, but i can simply not find a directory called /boot

Sorry for being daft, but a helping pointer would be appriciated :)

wicknix

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 04:48:11 AM »
The /boot directory would be on the ext2 partition (where the linux system was copied to). You can either mount that partition from your desktop, or extract the rootfs to a folder (if on a linux machine) and then just copy the uImage to the 1st fat partition.

Cheers.