Author Topic: dual booting kernel.  (Read 2295 times)

rkdavis

dual booting kernel.
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:20:46 PM »
Hi,

i'd like to be able to boot 3mx from the sd card and wicknix pointed me to the mmca
2 startup kernel http://projects.kwaak.net/twiki/bin/view/Epc700/KernelStartupF2F3 but i've tried everything and i can't get it to boot the rootfs from the sdcard and it even stops f3 from working too. Has anyone had any success with this kernel or know of a prebuilt 2.4 one that will let me boot 3mx from the sd card? I need/want to stick to the 2.4 kernel for the time being because sound and wifi work (at least in 3mx) as well as all the keys.

thanks
Russell

T_Nut

Re: dual booting kernel.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:03:02 PM »
Hi have you read this might be usefull
http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,775.msg6348.html#new
Many Thanks
Andrew

rkdavis

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 03:02:28 PM »
thanks,

that might be where i made the mistake. I installed that kernel to the nand.

[on a side note i found a nice 2.6 kernel patch for selective booting via the mipsbook mailing list that might be nice to try to "backport"  to the 2.4 kernel (i assume we have all 2.4 kernel source and patches that rebuild and boot correctly). it seems to be installable to nand and boot the rootfs from pretty much any location, seems a bit more flexible than the on in that link.]

Russell

rkdavis

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 05:19:50 PM »
ok this is driving me nuts. i've put the kernel on the sd card, extracted etch to the 2nd partition of the sdcard and still no go, it doesn't even work for F3 either.

i've tried shift+fn, shift+fn+f2, shift+fn+ctrl+f2, f2 (which the f2's to f3's and stil nada)

ok i must be really dense because i just can't get it sorted. can anyone explain it to me in words of one syllabul or less please because i am about to throw the mipsbook out of the window pretty soon, well either it or myself.

Russell

T_Nut

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 01:07:02 PM »
Hi all
Russell do you know if you have a 1gig nand or 2gig nand . the 2gig nand then it is split into 2 x 1gig
If it's 2gig then you can have 2 os.es that has support for 2.4 kernel eg 3mx,debian etch .
short post at work at the moment
Many Thanks
Andrew

rkdavis

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 02:22:45 PM »
I have the 1gig model -- a Besco Alpha400.

if it's relevant both leftshift+fn+f1 and leftshift+fn+ctrl seem to put the kernel from the sd card into nand.

from memory (as the netbook is inthe other room) the partitioning is mtdblock0 == bootloader, mtdblock1 == kernel, mtdblock2 == mac, mtdblock3 == minifs, mtdblock4 == rootfs.

as for keys on boot these seem to be the ones that are working with the stock kernel (v70)/bootloader.

do nothing, boots kernel on nand and rootfs on nand (mtdblock4)
leftshift+fn, boots kernel on sd card, rootfs on nand (mtdblock4)
F3, boots kernel on nand, minifs on nand (mtdblock3)
leftshift+fn+F1 & leftshift+fn+ctrl, boots kernel from sd card and copies it to nand (mtdblock1) and use rootfs on nand (mtdblock4)/reboots

nothing else seems to work at least i haven't observed any effect ofther that causing it not to even start booting/power on

Russell

T_Nut

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 06:12:00 AM »
HI All
Well i've tried everything i can think from different file systems to different sd cards,different key combinations and still it wont boot second partition on sd card.Does this kernel actually work or does the LLL have to proper buggered totally dead before it will work.Does anyone else
know or have tried this.Seems a shame this does not work it would be very useful to have.
Many Thanks
Andrew