Author Topic: Debian Sid/Squeeze rootfs  (Read 8425 times)

wicknix

Debian Sid/Squeeze rootfs
« on: November 21, 2010, 09:56:35 PM »
For those of you that want to stay on the bleeding edge i've also created a debian sid rootfs. Same as the Lenny rootfs, no desktop with just a few useful console applications installed. I did include the framebuffer version of netsurf however for your browsing pleasure. Installation instructions in the download archive. Remember Sid is the unstable/testing branch and not everything may work properly or without a few issues.

Easy wireless config script

Netsurf with framebuffer UI

Download here: http://filefactory.com/file/b45g0aa/n/debian-sid-mipsel-rootfs.tar.gz

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:48:10 AM by wicknix »

T_Nut

Re: Debian Sid/Squeeze rootfs
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 05:37:50 PM »
Well for me it wont work like all the rest.Because cant boot from sd.
A linux Newbie. unemployed and getting bored

wicknix

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 09:07:09 PM »
You need a kernel that has the option to boot from SD. I've included the latest 2.6 kernel in the download. Also instructions are included. But here's a quick rundown....
First paritition of sd card should be 32 meg formatted as fat32.
Second partition should be formatted as ext3.
Put the uImage on the fat32 partition.
Extract the contents of the linux rootfs as root user to the ext3 partition.
Hold down fn+left shift until the INIT process starts. (DO NOT use fn+ctrl+shift)
You are now running from sd card.

Cheers.

T_Nut

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 06:25:41 PM »
Hi wicknix
i have tried what you said still no luck i wonder if i am doing something wrong
to partition sd card i an using gparted in linux mint 9 i have tried putting 32meg partition
at either end. extracted the other file to ext3 partition then right click open as administrator
then extract to ext3 partition then safely remove drive then try it still nothing.
LLL is running skytone kernel for backlight control + 3mx ultra3
make is maplin cnmbook from the uk.
I hope get this sorted so i can play more and do no damage software wise
Many Thanks
Andrew

wicknix

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 09:01:39 PM »
Ahhh. Ubuntu/Mint have that stupid sudo crap going on, and gparted is worthless. First to get "true" root in ubuntu/mint open a terminal and using passwd give root a password.
passwd root  (then follow the prompts)
Now you can become root by either loging in as root, or opening a terminal and use su.
$su  (hit enter) then enter roots password.
Now use cfdisk (in terminal) as root user to partition the sd card. The fat32 partition HAS to be the first partition and it has to be marked as 'bootable'.
After you create the partitions dont forget to format them.
If the command line freaks you out, you could also just log into root's desktop (you have to log out) and use gparted.
Now extract your files.
Insert your SD card into your minipc, hold fn+left shift, then power on still holding those keys until you see the INIT process kick in (about 15 seconds into the boot process), now release the keys.

Cheers.

T_Nut

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 09:39:57 PM »
Hi wicknix
Thanks for the tips being a newbie i thought administrator was root
would proper debian be better suited .i have a spare laptop which i could use
hopefully lots of choices thanks to you wicknix. what dev setup do you use.
Many Thanks
Andrew

wicknix

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 02:50:24 AM »
Oh you must've installed mint9 into windows (it has that option) if you are seeing Administrator as a user name. No Admin is the default user in the windows based install i believe. You need to become root (as posted in my last response) in order for the file extraction process to work properly. Thats probably why you are having issues. Static links and file permissions break when extracting as any user other than root.

Any linux distro will work. Even something as simple as a puppy linux live cd would work. The only important factor is making sure you are root when partitioning, formatting and extracting to the sd card.

My old dev setup when i made 3MX was Ubuntu w/open embedded (OE) mixed with buildroot mixed with using debian etch on my alpha400 to build software. Currently i'm running Mint10 on both my desktop and EeePC along with a mix of 3MX and debian on my minibooks. Once sound is fully working in the 2.6 kernel i might just reinstall OE and try to build a 3MX-like distro for it. Time will tell.

Cheers.

jakfish

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 06:48:44 PM »
Oh, I was hoping you'd say that.  I have two MIPS netbooks running 3mx Ultra (easier than swapping batteries), but to have a 2.6 kernel coupled with a little bluetooth action, wow...

(Dunno if you've got a data-ready Nokia phone (Symbian 60v3), but I found an intriguing program, Joiku.  A Symbian app that turns the phone's wifi into a router, allowing netbooks, etc to tether without bt or Nokia GPRS driver.  I was amazed.)

Happy Thanksgiving to you,
Jake

elamarna

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 10:40:04 AM »
having tried for over a year to boot from SD this again gives me hope. i now assume using unbuntu in sudo has caused the failures.
just a couple of questions

from the command line what commands do i use when in root to format say a 2g SD card and make the first partition bootable?
and to extract the file to second what are the commands?
finally which versions or ulmage are ok to use, there are so many floating around?

many thanks if anyone can help

wicknix

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 07:38:56 PM »
I use cfdisk to partition. Nice easy console program. Then use mkfs.vfat and mkfs.ext3 to format your partitions. If the command line is too much for you, just log out on your ubuntu machine and log back in as root to load roots desktop. Then just use gparted which will both partition and format for you. The kernel in the download is the latest to date as far as i know.

Cheers.

T_Nut

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 07:46:37 PM »
Hi wicknix
No proper dualboot seperate windows partition + seperate linux mint 9 partition
nice and easy for a newbie  ;D

Update
still having problems so going to try on puppy linux see if that works
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 09:59:16 PM by T_Nut »

T_Nut

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 10:19:37 AM »
Hi wicknix
Still having trouble  pc is now runing linux mint debian dualboot with windows 7 ultimate
followed your intructions .the only way i could get to sort of work is by formatting the fat32
partition to fat16 then would get so far.i get penguin top left of screen
stops at
Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.
and stops there that as far i have got
oh yes i do it all as superuser on pc
Many Thanks
Andrew

update
tried lenny  the same as sid
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 10:57:19 AM by T_Nut »

wicknix

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 12:50:43 AM »
Getting closer. Sounds like you have the fat partition correct if the kernel boots. The kernel panic means the kernel cant find the root file system on your ext3 partition. Try extracting the files again. You are close.

Cheers.

T_Nut

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 07:36:25 PM »
Hi All
I was having problems with lenny wifi trouble not connecting online, booting from sd card. so i thought i would try sid booting from sd card and got connected online quite easy.run apt-get update then apt-get install openbox.i can't get openbox to run when i run startx i get -bash: startrx: command not found any ideas??
Many Thanks
Andrew

Robin

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 10:17:07 PM »
Hi,
Have you tried using the command
Code: [Select]
openbox-session?
It took this to get me going:
http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Getting_started  :)
Good Luck