Author Topic: Debian Lenny rootfs  (Read 18699 times)

JD1971

Re: Debian Lenny rootfs
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 07:24:10 AM »
Dear Wicknix and T_nut,

Turning ON and OFF Wifi doesn't give any message or error.

I will try to set it up manually (which i ofcourse already tried did before I posted my previuos reaction).
I noticed that when i typed only iwconfig it showed eth0, eth1 and eth2 (eth2 showed specific settings like essid).

Although i know that scanning must work first as a kind of prove that wifi is OK, i wonder if I can setup wireless only using WPA2 with psk since I don't want to use WEP or WPA.

Back to the problem: Can it be that WiFi (maybe depending on USB port) wil be mapped differently since I have soldered he WiFi dongle inside my Trendtac (on the 4th "hidden" usb port).

Both thanks for the informative responses and I will keep you both informed!
Maybe there is a graphical Wireless LAN application equivalent for openbox or fluxbox (which i want to install).

Regards
JD1971
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 08:36:16 AM by JD1971 »

T_Nut

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 08:16:15 AM »
HI JD1971
My cnmbook came with wifi installed and it is on the hidden usb port to the right of the right hinge on motherboard.
i got same result as you with iwconfig. i did not try maual connection before i took mine apart did not know how to
I hope both the of us can get this sorted with a little help from other members of this forum
Many Thanks
Andrew
A linux Newbie. unemployed and getting bored

wicknix

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2010, 02:09:32 PM »
If its listing eth2 then it looks like udev remapped your eth1 to eth2. Try those commands using eth2 instead of eth1. If that works then edit the scripts i mentioned to use eth2 instead of eth1 and you should be golden. :)

Cheers.

T_Nut

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »
Hi wicknix
When you installed lenny on nand did you also install the 2.6 kernel to nand as well. did you get sound working as well
Does the 2.6 kernel make the processor run at full speed 400mhz or does it stay at 336mhz.
Many Thanks
Andrew

Ps
Just planning LLL future at the moment

wicknix

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2010, 09:08:31 PM »
Since i have 3 machines i decided to free up an sd card and install lenny and the 2.6 kernel to nand on one of them. Still runs at the underclocked speed, and no sound. Still not working in the kernel yet. I read a patch was applied and sound did work, but it knocked out use of wifi. Sounds like its getting closer though. The only real issue i found when installing to nand is that user accounts no longer work. So like the defaultOS, 3MX and debian etch you are forced to be root user. Not that its a big deal, just thought i'd mention it. Booting and the system in general seems a bit snappier installed to nand though. :)

Cheers

JD1971

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2010, 12:19:49 PM »
Dear Wicknix and T_Nut,

I will try to solve the WiFi issue by changing your script (eth1 -> eth2).
Unfortunately i have limited time this week so be patient on me please :).

If Lenny + kernel can be installed on (internal) NAND, that would be awesome.
With kernel do you mean the content stored in the uimage file (sorry if this is a stupid question)?!?!?

Regards,
JD1971

T_Nut

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2010, 04:25:48 PM »
Hi JD1971
Yes kernel is the uimage file that gets put on FAT16 partition. No not a stupid question at all.
From your posts you + me are newbies at this linux stuff .One of the reasons of getting the LLL is to learn linux.
steep learning curve innit ! :)
Many Thanks
Andrew

JD1971

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2010, 07:42:42 AM »
Dear Wicknix and T_Nut,

I managed to scan all the wireless networks available (but not yet connect based on WPA2 because i messed-up the wpa_supplicant.conf settings :)). Therefore (as suggested by Wicknix) I needed to change eth1 into eth2 in some scripts under /usr/share/netconf/applets (if I recall this correct). So I Guess when I recover my wpa_supplicant.conf I will be able to connect to my WPA2 wireless network.

@Wicknix, once I am connected I want to install Fluxbox since this is a more intuitive windows manager. Therefore I need to type "apt-get install fluxbox" and change the startx script. Is this assumption right or do I need to do more?

For your interest I created a lcd_change script to set the backlight to intensity 50 (this includes the line echo > 50 /etc/proc/jz/backlight). Want to change it is such way that via a command line parameter like "lcd_change 150" the given number [0-255] will be the new backlight intensity. I think I know how to do this, so I learn a bit more on this matter which I can publish if there is interest in simplifying the lcd backlight control. I know this is just a minimal contribution compared to what Wicknix has scripted and done for the LLL community (respect for that)!

Regards,
John

wicknix

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2010, 08:31:03 PM »
Yep, just apt-get install fluxbox. Nothing more to be done. The system will automatically change /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager to fluxbox. Then just restart X after it's installed.

As for backlight scripts, on my personal machine i used keybindings in openbox instead. This way i have shift+F1 = backlight off through shift+F6 = full brightness. Easier than typing a command. :)

Cheers.

T_Nut

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2010, 07:41:56 PM »
Hi Wicknix
I would be interested in your backlight scripts for backlight control when i get my LLL up and running
again. if you dont mind please wicknix.you dont by any chance know the color order wires that go on wifi board
next to screen .2 came of little unsure as how they go.
Many Thanks
Andrew

wicknix

« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2010, 03:22:03 PM »
No i dont have a clue. Never opened mine up. There are pictures of the machine being taken apart all over the net though. Maybe you'll get lucky and find one showing the wifi wires.

T_Nut

« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2011, 12:31:45 PM »
I got bored last night so i tried lenny again and got connected to net with it at last!

echo 1 > /proc/jz/wifi-power
ifconfig eth1 up
iwconfig eth1 mode managed essid YOUR_ESSID key YOUR_KEY
iwconfig eth1 essid YOUR_ESSID
dhclient eth1

I used these commands changed eth1 to eth2 when iam typing in i got nothing to say anything had changed. by the end i was connected
what puzzled me was there was no message to say udev changed eth1 to eth2 and being a newbie i was looking for WLAN or something to say wifi not eth2 .Got it in the end  ;D
Where are the scripts so i can change eth 1 to eth2 so i don't have type all that above to get connected evey time i want use the internet.
Many Thanks
Andrew
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:37:16 PM by T_Nut »

Robin

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2011, 12:04:31 AM »
Congratulations - it looks as if you have cracked the eth1 / eth2 issue if the commands you wrote above worked. You have more or less written your script too.  :)
The "Make it a script" paragraph at the end of this article explains.
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/04/14/connect-to-a-wireless-network-via-command-line/
Now to try to get mine working!

wicknix

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2011, 01:45:39 AM »
T_Nut: /usr/share/netconfig/   
           /usr/share/netconfig/applets/   <--main connection scripts in here
           /usr/local/bin/wifi-config      <--script that calls the connection scripts

Anywhere you see eth1 change it to eth2. Cant remember which specifically to change so i listed all directories and scripts above. Best to look at them all and edit them all if need be.

Cheers.

T_Nut

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2011, 05:10:01 PM »
Hi All
Thank you your suggestion Robin
Wicknix done what you suggested and it works,i now have wifi that works + easy using your wifi configurator ;D
wicknix without you + the member of this forum i would be stuck so A NICE BIG FAT THANK YOU TO YOU ALL
I feel like iam an a roll now so next problem screen brightness wicknix could i please have you scripts for
baclight control please.
Many Thanks To You All Again
Andrew

Just a thought how do you get system to an img to install + is recoverable back to standard os and kernal cheers
Screen brightness still a problem when on internet with dillo way to bright cannot use LLL
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 10:12:05 PM by T_Nut »