Author Topic: Debian Lenny rootfs  (Read 18426 times)

Mijzelf

Re: Debian Lenny rootfs
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2010, 07:39:51 PM »
On my Mandriva Laptop it looks like this:
Code: [Select]
[Mijzelf@EEE ~]$ mount
/dev/sda5 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
tmpfs on /mnt/tmpfs type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/user/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=user)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/6179-F28A type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks,uid=10001,gid=10001,shortname=mixed,dmask=0077,utf8=1,flush)
/dev/sdb2 on /media/70480e2d-c20e-4760-8174-1504b4860672 type ext3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=udisks)
Obviously the two SD card partitions are /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb2. /dev/sdb2 is a ext3 partition and is mounted on /media/70480e2d-c20e-4760-8174-1504b4860672. So the command to execute are:
Code: [Select]
[Mijzelf@EEE ~]$ su
Password:
[root@EEE Mijzelf]# cd /media/70480e2d-c20e-4760-8174-1504b4860672/ext3
[root@EEE ext3]# mv * ..
[root@EEE ext3]#

JD1971

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 07:14:20 AM »
@Wicknix,

He is back!!
Yes....., i knew it you couldn't leave this little baby :)!

Thanks for being back and creating this Lenny distro's.
Hopefully the kernel is ready soon so we can get the best out of this little devil.

Wicknix, many thanks and best regards,
JD1971

« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 07:33:39 AM by JD1971 »

T_Nut

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 08:55:22 AM »
Hi Mijzelf
Many thanks for the reply iam very gratefull for all your help. It now works booting lenny from sd card ;D
Many thanks to wicknix for supplying these debian distros for our LLL.

Update
Guess what cant get wifi to work when wifi is turned on quality stays red get no link or noise
can you please tell a newbie on how to get wifi working please
Many Thanks
Andrew

Update 2
Still having problem with wifi lsusb shows ZyDas ZD1211B 802.11g in a maplin cnmbook from uk
if that helps any. could it be a driver problem iam just guessing.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:29:32 PM by T_Nut »
A linux Newbie. unemployed and getting bored

wicknix

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 01:42:42 AM »
Doubt it. Driver works fine. Was going to ask if you had a machine (skytex) that had the ralink wifi chip as this isn't supported in the 2.6 kernel yet, however you have the same Zydas chip as most of us. I'm guessing it's a network issue. Try turning your routers security off and see if you can connect. If you can (and it should) then your WEP/WPA settings aren't correct on the netbook. Btw i also have a cnmbook, along with my razorbook and alpha 400. Connects fine on all 3.

Cheers.

T_Nut

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2010, 06:54:33 PM »
Hi wicknix
Thanks for the reply it is still the same with or without security when i scan number 5 i get

Scanning for wireless networks
eth1 ERROR while setting interface flags: No such device
eth1          Interface doesn't support scanning

hope this may help.
Many Thanks
Andrew

wicknix

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 08:52:29 PM »
Almost looks as though your wifi isnt turned on. If it is you may have a hardware failure. Does wifi work on anything else that you've tried? (i see you had problems with wifi in debian etch also.)

Cheers.

T_Nut

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 06:12:29 AM »
Hi wicknix
Wifi works with standard os, 3mx ultra3,3mx rc3. at moment running 3mx ultra 3 with no problem at all
just cant understand why it works with some os'es and not others when wifi is the same drivers puzzled.
going to take apart and see if connections are good.
Many Thanks
Andrew

wicknix

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2010, 06:42:01 AM »
I booted my machine because i had a thought... when i ran "scan" (5) without turning the wifi on i got the same exact error you got. You need to turn wifi on (11) then run (5) to see the available networks, then connect (2). This all has to be done as root btw. Once connected you can log in as user.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 07:02:02 AM by wicknix »

JD1971

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2010, 04:57:19 PM »
Dear Wicknix,

For some reason it doesn't seem to work for me to start Lenny from the SD.
here is what is did and what happens:

Action below have been done with the root account:
1 - Created bootable fat16 32 Mbyte partition were the uimage packed in fat32.tar.gz was extracted to
(For some reason (maybe due to a custom uimage i flashed v70) it never works with a fat32 partition!)
2 - Created a second partition (space left) as EXT3 were the files packed in ext3.tar.gz were extracted to
3 - Start LLL with FN+left shift pressed (no orange warning ever seen!) i see a little penguin and all kind of errors and loggings scrolling over the screen. So it seems that it starts the uimage from the fat16 partion.
4 - Unfortunately I always end up with the 3MX Ultra image which is install on the internal NAND/Flash
(Booting normally meaning not using SD card FN+left shift, gives the same results: 3MX ultra without errors/logging during startup)

Do you have an idea why i can't run Lenny from the SD card since it seems to boot from SD kaart and continues to load 3MX Ultra installed on the LLL instead of Lenny on the ext3 partition?
Thanks in advance for your reaction!
JD1971

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 05:19:59 PM by JD1971 »

wicknix

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2010, 06:35:45 PM »
JD1971: If it's booting into 3MX it just means you aren't holding the fn+left shift keys long enough. Once you see the "INIT: version 2.86 booting" message on the screen, you can release the buttons. Not holding them long enough boots from internal nand.
Here's the breakdown on the boot modifier keys: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/letux-400/page/Operation/

Cheers.

T_Nut

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 08:00:55 PM »
Hi wicknix
Them errors was with wifi turned on.i taken LLL apart to see if dodgy connections. by the time i had seperated the wires
two of them came off i hardly touched them !! looks like dodgy wires at the moment.
Hopefully santa will bring me a new soldering iron my old one broke.
until then i cant do anything about the LLL. I will let you know when fixed.
Merry Christmas to every one. have a good one
Many Thanks
Andrew

JD1971

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 12:36:19 PM »
@Wicknix
First of all thanks for helping me out on starting Lenny!
I indeed needed to keep FN and left shift pressed longer.
Still something that is strange to me is the fact that this SD boot only works if uimage is stored on a FAT16 instead of FAT32 formatted partition! With FAT32 partition I never saw a penguin holding FN+left shift, but started the internal flashed 3MX Ultra! Maybe this has to do with my TRENDAC in combination of the V70 flashed kernel (but I am not sure about that). So maybe other TRENDTAC "dudes" might experience the same.

Something else now:
I have the same problem (error message during scanning) as T_nut with the wireless setup. Here is what I did:
- tested wireless via Wireless LAN app under 3MX ultra and this works fine
- start wifi-config and adjusted the config via GNU Nano according the wpa_passphrase output.
- turned Wifi ON (option 11)
- did Scan (option 5) but each time I get the following error (same as T_nut, but I am sure that mine built-in wifi dongle works fine with 3MX)

eth1 ERROR while setting interface flags: No such device
eth1          Interface doesn't support scanning

Do you have clue?

Thanks in advance!
John

wicknix

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 07:15:14 PM »
Hmmm. When you turn wifi on (11) do you see a message that says something like "udev changed device eth1 to eth2"? If yes, then you'll have to edit the files in /usr/share/netconfig and change eth1 to eth2 in all the scripts. I only say that as i noticed it when i installed lenny to nand yesterday. If that is not the issue, then i am stumped. I have 3 different brand names here, and it works on all 3.

Cheers.

T_Nut

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 08:34:30 PM »
Hi wicknix
No i didn't see any udev messages.some of us must be in the percentage that it does not work for.
What are the commands to cofigure wifi from command line see if we can do it that way.
I wont be able to test till after xmas when fix LLL wifi wires.
Many Thanks
Andrew

wicknix

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2010, 08:48:39 PM »
echo 1 > /proc/jz/wifi-power
ifconfig eth1 up
iwconfig eth1 mode managed essid YOUR_ESSID key YOUR_KEY
iwconfig eth1 essid YOUR_ESSID
dhclient eth1