Author Topic: 3MX Ultra3 released.  (Read 14146 times)

wicknix

3MX Ultra3 released.
« on: June 03, 2010, 05:30:41 PM »
Here it is. The final release of 3MX for awhile. Lots of nice additions added. Read the 'help' file in the menu for tips/hints/bugs. Sorry its on filefactory for now. I dont have FTP software on the work pc's.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/b1ffcea/n/Recovery_3MX-Ultra3.img

Cheers

JD1971

Re: 3MX Ultra3 released.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 06:07:47 PM »
Dear Wicknix,

Thanks a lot for this "latest" release!
Your enormous effort is worth a lot to lll community and can't be described in words.
So many many many thanks and hope to see you in the Lenny afterlife :).

JD1971

jakfish

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 08:45:39 PM »
Downloaded and installed fine.  I'll obviously do much more thorough feedback but right now I see that abiword spell is grayed out in the menu.  Hitting F-7 will produce "spelling is complete," but no actual errors are detected.  I checked the info file of my abispell and I see that the files are installed in U3.

What handle do I jiggle to get spell to play nice?

Jake

Edit: just for yucks, I installed the aspell package and lo and behold, spell check was there, ungrayed.  But your files were already there.  Very strange.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 02:05:29 AM by jakfish »

wicknix

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 07:23:30 PM »
Jakfish: Odd indeed. Glad it now works though. :)

JD1971: Thanks, and i'd move right past Lenny. Its already old (sid/squeeze are the latest) and too bloated. I'd much rather stick with embedded linux. :)

Other than spellcheck, everything seem alright in U3? Either way it's the final release of 3MX for the 2.4 kernel. Just like to know if i missed anything.

Cheers.

jakfish

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 10:27:58 PM »
I've had a chance to put U3 through its paces, and the spell check is the only problem so far.

From my amateur perspective, it seems that the abispell is partially installed.  There are some files, but not others.  I had to do a full installation of Aspell-En-v02-beta.xap, but with no other accompanying dependencies, and all is well.

I really like the new icons in ROX and I'm glad to have PuTTy.

I haven't found any bugs other than the standard madplayer bug.  If, for instance, you're running the command in terminal: "madplay -z /SD/SD_1/mp3/*" you get a skip or pause in the playback when doing other stuff, even switching windows, unless you first run Media Player and then shut Media Player down.  Once that's down, running madplay in terminal works without complaint.

The revamped bon echo loads faster, Contacts now works, and I thank you yet again for a phenomenal OS.  I use this machine exclusively when out of the house.

Jake
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 10:31:16 PM by jakfish »

Hugh

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 06:13:39 AM »
Fantastic ! Downloading now, thanks very much

Cheers :)

Hugh

FezzFest

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 07:18:28 AM »
Hmm, just got a "Recovery failed" error (although 7zip says it's fine). Maybe it's just my LLL dying, I don't know.
But I'll try again today, it's very nice to have a "stable" OS in dualboot with the devOS.

EDIT: Up and running now. It looks better, FTP added to "Servers" menu and even more Internet-tools.
Again a great release, wicknix :)

EDIT2: XAP-install still not added, also Dosbox is still on v0.65 (while 0.74 is already in the repo's and works fine).
Still great release though ;)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 09:27:14 AM by FezzFest »

wicknix

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 04:15:15 AM »
I knew i forgot something. Just cp /bin/add-removesh /bin/xap-install   Do not use mv as add-removesh is needed by the package installer.

Cheers.

kloak

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 12:27:18 AM »
I'm sorry i've been away awhile, and flaky about this device, i got sucked into hardware modification and just went with a more solid hardware platform (Asus lol)...Anyway....I have figured out VoIP, and by proxy skype....It's very easy to do SIP.....and its even eaiser to bridge SIP with skype, You'll need another computer running skype remotely with some mods but it's still a solution, I've got to reassemble my LLL, One last thing.....have we the latest linux kernel with this update? I'll hop back into this and throw up some packages if there's cause, Using the HUB included with my touch sensor, I've added a Bluetooth adapter and extra wireless adapter internally. I've not bothered with the software for any of this because of the kernel issues, but if anyones remotely interested anymore hit me up. I mean if this OS is not the latest linux kernel I guess the hardware stays shelved :-(

khos

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 06:41:32 PM »
I downloaded the file and get "Recovery failed". I tried 3 times already... is the file faulty?

wicknix

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 07:27:59 PM »
It should be fine. I flashed my 2 units with it, and the few that have posted have it working. Might just be a bad download? I do believe its up on 3mx-linux.co.uk now also in case you're having a hard time with file factory.

Cheers.

MikeyGMT

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 01:54:38 PM »
Worked for me, but I had to use another machine to download from Filefactory, which was not too friendly for my LLL.

Installed nicely, noticeably faster responses from apps. 
Excellent: Thank You Wicknix

MikeyGMT

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 11:45:26 PM »
Hi ...
This may seem a dumb noob question. It's to clarify what is the recommendation for installing 3mx Ultra3 on the CnMBook. I'm happy to repost if preferred.

I'm chuffed to beans with 3mx Ultra3, it's working really well. Whilst reading this in another thread, I saw a comment about flashing the firmware to v70.

http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,858.0.html

When I boot, I see the v66 image. Should I have flashed the firmware to v70 first?
I had just assumed that was a quirk of the system.   

Should I have upgrade to .70 and installed 3mx Ultra3 on top?

I am thinking I an answering my own question or getting muddled completely. :) I had not appreciated the subtle but important difference between the firmware.zip (the kernel - on the CnMBook website) and the 3mx Ultra3 (the distribution). The above thread also mentions Ard,s kernel too... My assumption was the firmware/distribution were the same.

Many thanks

Mike

wicknix

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 12:23:03 AM »
If you dont need huawei 3g modem drivers or backlight control the v66 kernel (or firmware as some people/websites call it) is fine. All that v70 does is adds a more stable huawei 3g driver. Ard's kernel ( http://projects.kwaak.net/twiki/bin/view/Epc700/KernelBacklight ) makes it possible to dim/brighten the lcd backlight (very handy). However his kernel has a very ugly skytone boot logo.

The distribution would be the default CElinux it came with, Debian Etch, or 3MX. The kernel (firmware) is written to its own partition, as is the distribution on its own partition. There is no particular order to install them as they wont interfere with each other. I switch between a few different kernels quite often for different needs.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Cheers.

MikeyGMT

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 10:06:37 PM »
Great explanation. Dont need either feature specifically, and I am up and running, 
Thank you Wicknix