Author Topic: Charging a CnM without the charger?  (Read 6208 times)

Elizabeth C

Charging a CnM without the charger?
« on: May 26, 2010, 01:20:31 PM »
Hello everyone.

I was given a CnMBook with no charger and the power socket snapped off but still inside the case.
I soldered the socket back to the board, checked it with a multimeter and put it back together. I then searched high and low for a plug to fit the power socket but couldn't find one anywhere.
To power up the laptop I've been removing the battery and charging it directly from an unregulated 9v 300mA charger. This works but isn't ideal.
I did the 105 mile round trip to Maplin's with the laptop to get a charger or a DC plug but I felt like the employees had never even seen a girl, never mind one that was asking questions. I even told them I wanted a regulated 9v PSU with 1.5 - 3A to fit the socket but they were useless!

So my questions:
I've used an unregulated 9v charger for a short time but will this eventually damage the laptop?
Does anyone know where to get a charger or a DC plug that fits? (Not going back to Craplin's)
Should I just solder 2 flying leads to the board and use a standard size socket with a 9v adapter?

Thank you

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

higgybees

Re: Charging a CnM without the charger?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 12:52:39 AM »
Hi Elizabeth, I ended up with my cnm the same way damaged socket and no charger. I solderd fly leads on the board and conected them to a more standard socket and covered it in tape and glued it to the back edge. I use both a multivoltage regulate supply set at about 9v and a 9v supply off an old freview box. I did have to change the polarity of the power supply by setting the conector or by cutting the plug off and swapping the wires around using the little white conectng blocks. When its chargeing I get two red lights and the green light bulb symboled one. The red lights go off when charged. Hope this helps. Fred

popski3125

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 09:49:29 AM »
My son broke the charger (!) for one of our OneTs. I now use a plug-in multivoltage charger - it was on offer in Maplins for a couple of quid and came with a whole set of different plugs. This allows me to charge my netbook and also run my portable CD player.

Elizabeth C

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 05:12:20 PM »
I thought I should update my original post as I have resolved the charging problem.
I ended up soldering flying leads to the board, drilling a hole just to the left of the old power socket hole (more room there) and fixing a new power socket in place. No wires or anything are showing and I even found a rubber grommet to fit in the old hole.
As for the power supply itself, would you believe I found my old Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K after 25yr, still looking like new in it's box with countless games, 'Input' magazines, the Kempston joystick and the power supply with an output of 9V DC, 1.4A.
I never thought I would be using Spectrum hardware again but it powers the CnM Minibook very well.

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

higgybees

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 06:09:44 PM »
Glad you got it sorted out. Think I will try your solution on mine and hide the wire. Fred