Author Topic: Android porting Project....Begins now!  (Read 4304 times)

kloak

Android porting Project....Begins now!
« on: May 23, 2010, 01:06:48 AM »
L.3.A? (L x 3 + A = Little Linux Laptop Android) or L.A.L or L.A.N (Little ANDROID Laptop/Netbook) ect....
Whatever it should be called....Is really unimportant, The point is...it's possible to now attempt to to patch together a LLL release of Android for use on these devices. There's evidence to suggest as posted elsewhere on this forum there's a active, nearly completed 2.6 port that works on our devices.

JZ4730 MIPS 2.6 kernel project link:
http://projects.goldelico.com/p/letux-400/

With this, It's now possible to start gathering information and resources from other device sites on making android work without any problems relating to keymapping, And adding support for pointer devices like the touchpad. Since it's built off the 2.6 kernel I'm assuming adding drivers and modules for HID devices is pretty straightforward(Including adding touchscreen sensors and USB controllers to tie the wifi adapater into the hub, as well as add 2 more usb devices), Without a touch screen I know people worry about not being able to point, I've found ways to simply add that function to android on the community site. For some of the more exotic button maps it will also make sense to create a custom keymap to expanding Fn+KEY controls, or make use of Arrow keys during capslock on. It's not hard to get creative. The simple point is: The devices have hit a dead end for now as far what they can do while pretending to be linux laptops.....Why not see what they can do when treated like PDAs (Since thats pretty much where all the parts are from anyway, Off the shelf pda components..) Android runs on much less than we have.....much much less, Imagine for a second those cheap chinese smartphones.....So the real question is going to be, what's the newest version of Android that can be installed on this once the groundwork is laid in? In the posts below this, I'll try to list off any useful links and related progress updates, I'll also be trying to list off current challanges facing the successful port, and possible solutions. please do the same if you're interested.

1234s282

Re: Android porting Project....Begins now!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 01:42:12 PM »
Fantastic! :D

Its very late here now but im going to spend all of tomorrow getting the 2.6 kernel onto my Elonex One :D

Id love to see Android on this and will help in any way I can

Regards
1234s282

FezzFest

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 06:43:25 PM »
Indeed, pointing support is easy to implement, no worries about that. I think we should try porting 1.5 or 1.6 first. It seems easier to port 1.6 than 2.1 (Eclair). Then we can eventually go to 2.2 with a lot of new features (much faster, upgradable components,...).

But first we have to wait until the kernel port is completed. At the moment, there are some problems with yaffs2 (filesystem) and sound, and VGA doesn't seem to work with default settings either. In 2nd stage, we will have to port the drivers for SD/USB-host-support (I don't know how many of it is already implemented) WiFi, etc.

1234s282

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 12:19:03 PM »
There is a kernel for 2.6 at http://projects.goldelico.com/p/letux-400/ but i cannot work out how to get it on there and have wrecked the partitions on my SD card attempting it!

kloak

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 12:48:44 AM »
Fezz is 100% correct, We'll have the most luck with 1.5 or 1.6 due to the hardware limitations of the devices, If we get to 2.2 that would be wonderful! It may be wise to get a handle of a newer tabletPC/Netbook build ment for this chinese hardware, They always have USB host support for bluetooth, cams, gps dongles, and wi-fi adapters and even 3g sticks....Seeing how they do it might give a clue, I might pickup one of those tablets they have floating around that come with Android/Windows CE 6/ubuntu ....They go for about 200ish if you want one with decent power.

FezzFest

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 08:24:04 PM »
I've been experimenting with Android ROM building on my Windows Mobile device (xda-developers). Looks like it should be doable getting Android up & running on our LLL's.

Every day kernel development is getting further, and with kernel 2.6.31.3 (the new development kernel) it will be actually possible on kernel-level to get it going (zydas wifi bug fixed, android runs only on kernel 2.6.25 or higher).