Author Topic: 3MX Ultra - Accesing console only  (Read 4137 times)

jiml

3MX Ultra - Accesing console only
« on: March 02, 2010, 01:06:08 AM »
I am very happy with what 3MX Ultra provides but have a requirement to access my LLL in console only mode (trying to teach myself about bash shell scripting). I have worked out that using the following command gives me what I want "killall -TERM Xfbdev" but it seems to me to be a nasty hack.

Is there a more elegant way of dumping X and going to console mode.

Also how can I config it to use the UK keyboard layout within the console, xmodmap only works within X.

Jim!

wicknix

Re: 3MX Ultra - Accesing console only
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 01:56:02 AM »
Easiest way to get to console is let Ultra boot. Then use ctrl+alt+f3 -f5 to bring you to virtual consoles. Use ctrl+alt+f2 to go back to desktop. If you want more than those consoles edit /etc/inittab and add a few more.

Without recompiling the kernel you're stuck with the crummy keymap in console unfortunately (which isn't the greatest kernel keymap as its missing a lot of Function keys).

Cheers.

jiml

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 02:45:55 AM »
OK great, ctrl+alt+f3, much more elegant. Without a UK keymap makes it useless for my purposes. So I guess I'll have to try the re-compile kernel route.

As I've never compiled a kernel in my life, that'll be a new challenge to look forward to.

Jim!

wicknix

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 05:26:29 AM »
Or if you're not up to it, just use XTerm. Same thing as console except it's running in X. :)

Cheers

jiml

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 06:49:38 PM »
Thanks for your feedback. I checked out compiling option on http://projects.kwaak.net/twiki/bin/view/Epc700/CompilingAKernel but it was all jibberish to me. Was going to give up but then decided to simply to google and google and google, after various attempts I found nothing of help but on one obsure page it happened to mention "loadkeys" so I googled that, which led me to finding it in the debian package database.....

So the result is;

Copied loadkeys from the mipsel "kbd" package to /bin
Copied the /usr/share/keymaps/i386/include and /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty directories from the mipsel "console-data" and removed unused keymaps.

added loadkeys uk.kmap to the #set keymap section of /etc/init.d/start

Works a treat!

Jim!

wicknix

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 07:52:45 PM »
Nice find! I totally had forgotten about 'loadkeys' doh!  ::)

Cheers.

Hairyloon

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 11:13:51 AM »
Copied loadkeys from the mipsel "kbd" package to /bin
Could I please trouble you for a link to that?
Copied the /usr/share/keymaps/i386/include and /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty directories...
Sorry for being stupid, but copied them to where?

wicknix

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 04:41:45 AM »
http://packages.debian.org/etch/kbd and copy them to that exact location. :)

Cheers.