Author Topic: Newbie Alert! Elonex ONEtplus firmware?  (Read 7205 times)

nigelmercier

Newbie Alert! Elonex ONEtplus firmware?
« on: March 23, 2010, 01:39:04 AM »
This is a repost of a question in the Beginners Board, as it probably is more appropriate here:

I've just bought an Elonex ONEtplus (LNX/NB/ONEtplus/N5008BLK). I'm a complete novice to Linux, and to this device, but I'm regarded as a PC guru by my friends - although they are probably wrong

First thing I did was a hard reset, then I got the latest Recovery Image from Elonex. After that I discovered that there was an updated firmware (V70) on the CnM Lifestyle web site. So I think I'm up-to-date (assuming these work OK together)

[UPDATE] I've since discovered 3MX Ultra! But I still have a question:

I noticed that the firmware came with a new boot image (as a png). I modified this after I installed the firmware, then tried to do the three-key-shuffle (Shift/FN/F1) to re-load the firmware with the new picture. Didn't work. Can this boot image be modified, or is the png a red herring?

wicknix

Re: Newbie Alert! Elonex ONEtplus firmware?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 02:58:02 AM »
The boot logos (images) are built into the kernel (firmware). You can't change them unless you rebuild the kernel with your modified boot logo.

I personally would like to see the Ard's backlight kernel with no boot logo. I'd like to see the kernel/boot messages instead.

Cheers

FezzFest

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 06:58:10 PM »
@wicknix: I think you need an extra patch to do that. I think they are currently redirected to some port on the device.

nigelmercier

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 10:43:03 AM »
I'd like to see the kernel/boot messages instead.

Hi Matt,

You are 100% geek! I mean that in a nice way; I'm about 90% ;D It took a great effort of will for me switch on the BIOS logo on my Windows PC, after years of watching the POST. Even more effort to turn off the display of file extensions and hide the hidden and system files.

However, the other users of my LLL (it will be kept on my boat) are all humans, and would prefer to see a nice picture of the boat on boot up, perhaps with a reassuring message saying "Loading ... Please wait 60 seconds ...".

<GeekMode>
Out of interest, is the firmware the equivalent of the BIOS on a PC? If so, are there any config pages?
</GeekMode><GeekStandby>

FezzFest

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 05:46:50 PM »
There is no such thing as a BIOS on these machines.
And I'd like to see the boot messages too. Maybe we can create an option so you can choose.

Lochban

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 05:43:57 PM »
Not shure if this is the right thread but dose anyone know whether there is a more recent firmware for the elonex one T+ im using V66 acording to the starup screen any help finding an update would me much apreceated

FezzFest

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 02:27:12 PM »
There is a V70 at the CnMBook website, but I warn you: the bootup screen is awfull :P