Author Topic: How to activate wifi?  (Read 12611 times)

Big Rufus

How to activate wifi?
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:40:59 AM »
Hi guys,
I have searched until my eyeballs are bleeding but can not find a solution to what I feel is my simple problem. I am a completely inexperienced linux user. Got my young daughter a Skytex SX-E700 for Christmas. It is a classic LLL with built in wifi. I upgraded to 3MX Ultra in an attempt to give her a little more internet usability. We are loving the new OS by the way, thanx Wicknix! My problem is when I open the wireless manager I get this error message:

"Can not found any WIFI device. Please confirm that you have a WIFI device (either built-in or USB WIFI)".

I have read enough to know I need to activate the wifi adapter. However, I have no idea how to go about it. Could anyone explain this to me so my daughter can get back on the web?

Thanks

wicknix

Re: How to activate wifi?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 03:28:36 AM »
Strange, it should automatically be enabled when you click the wireless manager icon. You can tell if it did as the 'active wifi' button will be grayed out. If it isn't, click it. Did it work fine with the default OS before your flashed 3MX? I've never heard of that machine before, but after some googling it seems to be the same as the rest of these machines. I guess we could try a few things....

Open Terminal and type "lsmod | less"   (without the quotes) and use the arrow keys to scroll up/down and q to quit back to terminal prompt. Look for zd1211b. That's the wireless driver. If you see it the driver is loaded. If not type "insmod zd1211b" (without quotes) and try the wireless manager again.

If that doesn't work try this..
In terminal type:
echo 1 > /proc/jz/iwifi   (turns on the wifi stick)
Rerun wireless manager.

If that doesn't work, maybe try to reflash Ultra 1 more time. Maybe something went haywire on the first installation. It's doubtful but worth a shot.

If that still doesn't work, maybe skytex changed to a different brand of wireless card. In that case you'd have to reinstall your default OS (my alpha400 came with a cd with backup recovery.img on it) and copy the wireless driver to an sd/usb card so you can copy it to Ultra after reinstallation.

Good luck. :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 03:30:10 AM by wicknix »

Big Rufus

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 11:08:37 PM »
Strange, it should automatically be enabled when you click the wireless manager icon. You can tell if it did as the 'active wifi' button will be grayed out. If it isn't, click it. Did it work fine with the default OS before your flashed 3MX? I've never heard of that machine before, but after some googling it seems to be the same as the rest of these machines. I guess we could try a few things....

Open Terminal and type "lsmod | less"   (without the quotes) and use the arrow keys to scroll up/down and q to quit back to terminal prompt. Look for zd1211b. That's the wireless driver. If you see it the driver is loaded. If not type "insmod zd1211b" (without quotes) and try the wireless manager again.

If that doesn't work try this..
In terminal type:
echo 1 > /proc/jz/iwifi   (turns on the wifi stick)
Rerun wireless manager.

If that doesn't work, maybe try to reflash Ultra 1 more time. Maybe something went haywire on the first installation. It's doubtful but worth a shot.

If that still doesn't work, maybe skytex changed to a different brand of wireless card. In that case you'd have to reinstall your default OS (my alpha400 came with a cd with backup recovery.img on it) and copy the wireless driver to an sd/usb card so you can copy it to Ultra after reinstallation.

Good luck. :)

Thanx for the reply Wicknix,
Tried the first thing you suggested and couldn't get the scroll keys to work correctly (it just scrolled through what I had input and put on last line). So then I tried typing insmod zd1211b as suggested and got this response "module zd1211b already present" or something to that effect. I am assuming this means that the module for the wifi driver is in the 3MX Ultra OS as it should be.
Then I typed in command to turn on the wifi stick as suggested. Retried wifi manager.....no go. At this point I figured I had a different card in this machine. I went ahead and loaded 3MX 4 first and tried the wifi...no go. Then reloaded Ultra....no go.

My assumption from this is that everything about the Skytex is compatible with the new OS except for the wireless card. (maybe?). Here is my current position, I guess. I do not have the original OS and this unit did not come with a recovery disc. I thought of using the recovery OS here but obviously the wifi driver for it would not be correct either. To answer your question, yes, the wireless worked fine before reformatting and going to new OS. Although it did seem to have limited range (from reading here I think that is normal).

So, I guess, do you have any idea about a wifi driver(s) I could try in order to get this working again? Is there any way I can use the root access terminal to find out what card is in the machine?

Thanx in advance for your time!

Mado

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 10:55:18 AM »
I have also a problem with WiFi, athough mine is not as serious as that of BigRufus. My Epc700 also doesnt automatically connect to the internet. Everytime i have to contact manually. This is not so bad, but WiFi only works after i have worked some time with my wired network. Then i can take the ethernet cable out and wifi works. But only after this procedure. Is there anybody who can tell me what causes this problem? I have a WPA/PSK network with static Ip-addresses and MAC security. (the ethernet and the wifi have different IP-adresses and Mac adresses also in my router) Everything checked and correct.
Thanks for the trouble!

wicknix

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 06:21:42 PM »
Big Rufus: Yes try this in terminal.
dmesg > /root/dmesg.txt
leafpad /root/dmesg.txt
Look through the output of the text file. You should eventually see something about the brand of wireless card you have. Also the 'limited range' seems hit or miss for people. My router (netgear) is upstairs and 2 rooms away (about 150 feet) and i still get really good signal.

Mado: Have you tried with an open wifi network at all, like a coffee shop, just to see if wireless works fine that way? It should. I'm thinking your current router setup is just too complex for the limited driver/software in the LLL to figure out. I'm using plain WPA/PSK  (and open wifi hotspots) just fine on mine (as are most people from what i've read).

Cheers

Big Rufus

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 10:00:12 PM »
Big Rufus: Yes try this in terminal.
dmesg > /root/dmesg.txt
leafpad /root/dmesg.txt
Look through the output of the text file. You should eventually see something about the brand of wireless card you have. Also the 'limited range' seems hit or miss for people. My router (netgear) is upstairs and 2 rooms away (about 150 feet) and i still get really good signal.

Cheers

Okay,
Seems like maybe I am making a little head way after being pointed in the right direction by wicknix. I'm hoping he'll help a little more maybe since I am so clueless concerning Linux. After running the above terminal code and searching through the text I find it is a Ralink wifi card.

Manufacturer: Ralink
Product: 802.11 bg wlan

After a brief web search I find Ralink has 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n, and only one 802.11bg card I can find. The 802.11bg is the Ralink RT 2501. Here is a page I found about its driver on:
http://en.opensuse.org/HCL/Network_Adapters_%28Wireless%29#Ralink

Ralink
Chipset   Type     Bus   openSUSERelease   Driver   Works with network    Version specific remarks
                                                                     Unencrypted WEP WPA

RT2501 802.11bg USB          11.1             RT73                                   Ralink firmware package
                                                                                                       required-autoinstalled by
                                                                                                       YaST

So now am trying to figure out how to load this driver and firmware package into my LLL. Any further help much appreciated wicknix!

Edit:
Also found it could be a Ralink RT2571. These are the only two bg cards I could find. (RT2501, RT2571) Please take a look at this page wicknix, as I think it might have the key to my problem but without having more experience with Linux I am hesitant in trying to incorporate this driver fix without consulting someone more knowledgeable:

http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Downloads

And here is the relevant page from Ralink's website that covers both driver and firmware:

http://eng.ralinktech.com.tw/support.php?s=2

I was going to attach the driver and firmware zip files for you but can't seem to attach any files to my post...

Thanks in advance wicknix. I know you just developed this OS for your personal LLL and decided to share it. I much appreciate all your volunteer help!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:35:24 PM by Big Rufus »

wicknix

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 04:52:22 AM »
Keep an eye on this forum as another user has the same issue: http://www.littlelinuxlaptop.com/forum/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=54.0#postid-169

An easier solution might be to make a new post asking users of the surfone or skytex who still use the default OS to upload the ralink driver somewhere rather than trying to compile it. I'll keep scouring google and see what else i can dig up.

Cheers.

Big Rufus

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 12:09:21 PM »
Keep an eye on this forum as another user has the same issue: http://www.littlelinuxlaptop.com/forum/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=54.0#postid-169

An easier solution might be to make a new post asking users of the surfone or skytex who still use the default OS to upload the ralink driver somewhere rather than trying to compile it. I'll keep scouring google and see what else i can dig up.

Cheers.

Thanx for all the help wicknix,
I guess I am missing a mental connection since I am unfamiliar with Linux. This link I gave:

http://eng.ralinktech.com.tw/support.php?s=2

:has the downloadable driver and firmware. With those two in tow what more do I need to get this up and going? I'll start learning how to make a kernel if that's what I need to do. But, if someone could upload the driver from the original OS on their machine how does that help me anymore than downloading the one off the site. I hate feeling stupid....

Mado

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 05:43:09 PM »
Hallo Wicknix, thanks for your answer (and the OS :-) I will try your advice.

wicknix

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 03:02:18 AM »
Digging a little deeper i found these:

http://packages.debian.org/etch-backports/firmware-ralink   (binary firmware)
and
http://packages.debian.org/etch/rt2500-source  (rt25xx source)

Perfect. Right from debian etch's repository, which the (mipsel) packages are binary and library compatible with the default OS and 3MX. Now we just just to find somebody willing to compile it for you. I don't have the ingenic 2.4 kernel sources or the ingenic cross compiler needed to do it as my setup for building packages is different.  :(

Cheers.

wicknix

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2010, 08:03:10 PM »
But, if someone could upload the driver from the original OS on their machine how does that help me anymore than downloading the one off the site. I hate feeling stupid....

The drivers you linked to are source code. It has to be compiled with the celinux kernel sources and ingenic toolchain in order for it to work. It's not an actually 'binary' driver download, and if it was it wouldnt be built for mips (the cpu arch used in these machines) , but rather x86 (typical desktop/laptop cpu) in most cases.

If someone uploads the ralink wireless module the hard work is already done. :)

Hope that clears that up a little bit.

Cheers.

Mijzelf

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2010, 09:48:17 PM »
I compiled the module, but I don't know if it will work. Some member of a structure was filled, but that member was not available in the kernelsources, so I skipped it. Further 2 pci buffer allocation(?) functions were called, but those functions were not available either. I hope it won't cause problems. Module is here

Big Rufus

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 02:40:15 AM »
But, if someone could upload the driver from the original OS on their machine how does that help me anymore than downloading the one off the site. I hate feeling stupid....

The drivers you linked to are source code. It has to be compiled with the celinux kernel sources and ingenic toolchain in order for it to work. It's not an actually 'binary' driver download, and if it was it wouldnt be built for mips (the cpu arch used in these machines) , but rather x86 (typical desktop/laptop cpu) in most cases.

If someone uploads the ralink wireless module the hard work is already done. :)

Hope that clears that up a little bit.

Cheers.

Thanx for the explanation. That clears it up in my head anyways. I just wish I wasn't at the bottom of the learning curve as I generally like to do things myself. I do appreciate all the help.

Big Rufus

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 02:42:17 AM »
I compiled the module, but I don't know if it will work. Some member of a structure was filled, but that member was not available in the kernelsources, so I skipped it. Further 2 pci buffer allocation(?) functions were called, but those functions were not available either. I hope it won't cause problems. Module is here

Thank you Mijzelf. If you wouldn't mind could you walk me through the install so I could try out your module? I downloaded it and put it onto a SD card. When I try to unpack it I get an error and it unpacks an empty folder. I have no idea how to get it from the SD to the machine. Thanx in advance!

BR

wicknix

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 03:30:32 AM »
Copy the rt2500.tgz to SD card. Then copy it somewhere on your machine. In terminal type: tar -zxvf /path/to/rt2500.tgz  That should leave you with rt2500.o . Copy rt2500.o to /lib/modules/drivers (easy to do using midnight commander installed in Ultra). Then type: insmod /lib/modules/drivers/rt2500.o to load the driver.

Try rerunning the wireless utility. You may still get an error as MNA has posted about a missing /dev/wlan0 . If that's the case we just need to create the device node with mknod. Keep us posted with any findings. Also see his post in this thread: http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,773.msg5635.html#msg5635

Cheers.