Author Topic: new life for an elonex one t  (Read 2007 times)

billibin

new life for an elonex one t
« on: January 20, 2010, 12:55:42 PM »
Like the majority of owners we were attracted by the "educational" side of these machines which was why we eagerly paid our deposits and eagerly waited for months untill their arrival. But a year on how many of these "mini laptops" are there laying at the bottom of a cupboard somewhere?
Likewise untill recently the machine that we bought for our daughter that quickly  became a useless extra weight in her school bag, her school only seemed to teach microsoft o/s based or microsoft applications and scarcely a word for linux let alone the version installed on these machines.
I was hoping to make some extra cash by selling ours on ebay and had left it on the side after I had cleaned off the stickers etc that my daughter seems to leave on everything she comes in conact with, when I next saw it my wife was using it in the kitchen on the web and that is where it has stayed since before christmas. It has now being used more than it ever was before, as a web browser for the kitchen.
what we have found is that we are using none of the other applications installed and ideally we would like to be able to cut down on these applications as all we need is a web browser,e-mail (although i am a gmail user), image viewer,wordprocessor and a filemanager.
I would like some help on the following-

can I strip down oiginal o/s of Its applications  or is there a "basic" os i can install that will allow me to do the above. many thanks bill

utd_grant

Re: new life for an elonex one t
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:56:59 PM »
I don't think there's much point in removing any of the applications that you don't use - it won't speed up the machine or anything. However, if you wanted to consolidate all your most-used apps to just one tab of the display, there's instructions on how to do that on this forum (somewhere !).