Author Topic: Battery and Power switch  (Read 3346 times)

amsfitz

• Defenatly too good looking to be me
Battery and Power switch
« on: October 27, 2009, 05:25:59 PM »
Does anyone else have this problem? When my OneT is unplugged and switched off the battery drains completely.  just want to know if i have a faulty battery, or if it is the power switch that is at fault.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:32:52 PM by amsfitz »
OneT+  user since march 2009

linux skill level nill

Unhban

• Thinks....
Re: Battery and power switch
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 05:33:55 PM »
I presume it's draining to nothing over a short time? A day or so? Mine does drain down, but over perhaps a week or longer.

Because of this I don't really think that the power switch actually switches the full battery volts but that the switch tells the CPU to start up.... In this case some components will be draining the battery slowly all the time, keeping an eye out for when the switch is... well.... switched!

Is the machine new or second-hand? Either, it could be a dud battery.

Unh.

amsfitz

• Defenatly too good looking to be me
Re: Battery and Power switch
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 08:10:45 PM »
It can drain the battery overnight. and was bought new .
OneT+  user since march 2009

linux skill level nill

Zill

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 11:41:25 AM »
Same problem here (from new!) with a CnM Minibook.  I only use it intermittently and so it always needs to be plugged in before use.  :(

However, as I generally have mains power available it isn't really a problem for me.  :-\

kisma

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:48:13 PM »
I have to be careful with my elonex to not hold the lid and base together too tightly
 and I have to lift it by the sides as the power switch slightly protudes and it switches itself on

deltabravo

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 04:24:46 PM »
My CNM book battery also drains down when not in use.  I even  went to the lengths of purchasing a spare battery on ebay, but this does the same.

jimux

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 10:33:27 PM »
How the battery is treated over the first few discharge cycles has a major effect on its long term capacity.  It should be fully charged for at least 10 hours and then used until it fully discharges for at least the first 3 charge/discharge cycles.  Don't use it permanently connected to the mains until at least after the 5th discharge cycle, and then allow the battery to fully discharge at least once a week.

The problem is that if batteries are permanently kept fully charged they loose some of their capacity or to put it more technically they reduce their internal resistance.