Author Topic: BWBasic Interpreter  (Read 2747 times)

Artus Irbe

BWBasic Interpreter
« on: September 21, 2009, 07:15:22 AM »
It says its an Interpreter for BASIC. Does this mean you can create programs for the LLL and interpret them on the LLL?

If so, it opens up a whole lot of possibilities!

Mijzelf

Re: BWBasic Interpreter
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 07:39:59 AM »
Who says?

Anyway, you already got bash, which gives you the possibility to write shell scripts, which are at least as powerful as interpreted basic. Have a look here.

Artus Irbe

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 07:53:42 AM »
Oh the CnMLifeSTyle webpage, it has it listed. Surely if you used BASIC you could do GUI applications, AFAIK Bash is terminal?

I'm a bit of a nounce, but commanding in basic is meant to be relatively easy.

Mijzelf

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 08:37:36 AM »
I don't think BWBasic is graphical. A bit googling shows that it's an open source GWBasic clone, which was text-only. (Except if you accessed the pixels directly, but I don't think that will work in X)

jimux

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 02:57:08 AM »
Oh the CnMLifeSTyle webpage, it has it listed. Surely if you used BASIC you could do GUI applications, AFAIK Bash is terminal?

I'm a bit of a nounce, but commanding in basic is meant to be relatively easy.

Linux shell scripts can be considered as executable code and called in just the same way as any other program. They automatically handle the mechanics of execution, including running a background shell which executes each command. 

I once made a living programming in MS Basic (QB, PDS7, VBA) but consider shell scripting more intuitive once you get into a Linux mindset.

Our machine provides the 'bash' shell and also two other shells; a slimmer shell called 'ash' and a baseline shell called 'sh'.  'ash' and 'sh' are provided by 'busybox' whilst 'bash' is an external tool.
You can develop graphic applications in shell script, there are some excellent examples in my favourite reference on the subject at http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/