Author Topic: All well and good!  (Read 6033 times)

PeteMRU

All well and good!
« on: September 14, 2009, 12:11:27 PM »
hi.

Well I've read just about everything on this blog and it's good, very good. But in the end 90% is trivia... So what (I think) we need is a subject on the main proven essentials . What I mean is, I've now put on my CnMBook just about everything that is truly useful. The WEB works as good as its going too. I've put on (from Firefox add on's) Tweak (piping) and adblock+. The U-tube thing works as well as I think it is capable off . Radio works very well in deed. (Thanks for the help on that one), Wi-stumbler, yes it will do the job and its useful. Lots of good games. The Chess game cheats!! Well it would not let me make a move that I'm sure was a good on (I lost). MC Well can only say FAB...

So were do we go from here.

Yes help were its needed and we will always need help.

How about Setting's. Its OK getting a program to work but without help on setting's its never going to work well. I know there are some very clever uses on hear and they know what they are doing. But you are aiming too high. Give us down here some insight (Setting's)

Now for the more adventurous of us. I see Overclocking!. A good point. The little thing will run faster All be it when plugged in. Extra speed is good. If you can. Sort it and have your name in lights.

Stopping people fumbling and into using the thing is what its all about.

How about a sort of starter pack. ie. how to make small program tweaks (Safely)

Even Basic programing. This mini book can do it and it helps pass the time at train/bus station, airports.

Surly IMO.IM (Skype) Must be useful. We have the program, Just need a version of Flash!.

Finely can I say thanks for all your help in getting mine running well. Worth every penny.

Pete 

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:41:04 PM by PeteMRU »

Leven2e

Re: All well and good!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 06:42:37 PM »
I am happy if you are fairly satisfied with it!  ;)
The Hun.

PeteMRU

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 07:00:26 PM »
ho Rats.

Just when I was thinking it was up and running along comes another disto... Think though I'll leave it a week or two before starting all over again. Is this Retro.img a stand alone image.ie: a new OS..

Leven2e, you will never be out of a job.

Thanks Pete

wicknix

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 07:14:07 PM »
Retro is a modified default OS. I added many libraries and programs to support more sound types, sounds in pidgin and xchat, installed extra software, better looking theme and other tweaks.

If you want something more 'true' to a linux desktop try 3MX-rc3.1. However i will be uploading rc4.0 in the next few weeks so you may want to wait a little bit. :D

More software found here also: http://3mx.taita.co.uk  (most works on default OS)

Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 07:15:51 PM by wicknix »

PeteMRU

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 07:33:42 PM »
ho goodness me WicknIx. I'm only 63!. I'll be putting Retro on my mini CnMBook.. I'm a bit old now to take on Linux. I did try though. It was some 20 or so years ago. I ran a Atari ST as a mail box. the second port was the midi. The mod was with a MAX232. It worked ok So not behind the door only a little long in tooth.

I'm still quick on the uptake though. If I see a routine I'll work it out... Just need pointing in the right direction....

See, I did say there were some smart chaps on here

Thanks

Pete G4MRU
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:08:24 PM by PeteMRU »

PeteMRU

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 04:31:16 PM »
HI.

Right, OK...

I've installed the Retro. Nice.

Some questions though.. What is "GEANY"  A starter please..

What is "ELINKS"  A starter please..

They will do for now.....

Doom works but I've no control over it. But even that will keep the kids happy. U-Tube is not working .

I do like the Cplayer though simple but good. ta..

Pete

wicknix

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 08:30:58 PM »
Geany is an IDE (development environment) but also works nicely as an advanced editor for numerous file types.

Elinks is a very fast text based web browser that supports css, javascript, frames and ssl (secure sites).

VideoOnline (youtube player) isn't a working version. It requires the update and registration. Still a crap application IMHO. Better to just install 'video download helper' firefox plugin instead. It lets you download youtube vids, then watch them in media player. It's free and works nicely.

You may have to map the keys in doom, can't remember if i did, and if i did i'm sure it was my own key mapping vs the default.

Cheers.

PeteMRU

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 09:49:04 AM »
hi.

Yes I could use them one day I'll keep them..  Next.

News/rss. Yes I think I know what that is but were do I get the feeds!

keys.  Do not need the French/US. Can they come off!.

Chat IRC, Again, I should know that. Bring me upto date please

Do like the Napstar, yes good..

All in all, I'm worming to it..

Pete

PeteMRU

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 04:33:14 PM »
Hi.

You know the diti tune at the beginning, could that not be a small chime. Loading up. Just like Mic soft.

Just a thought...

Pete

PeteMRU

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 08:29:22 AM »
Retro OS

I've run this for a week now. So I thought a REPORT:-

I do not think it runs as fast as the standard OS. But it is bigger.

The wallpaper is a bit too harsh, but cannot keep alternative. On restart it resets to pre set.

Keyboard, Why do I need to set that up every time I turn on !!! Its a real pain.

The start up jingle would be good with a 6 note chime.

The close down page/screen is smart, very good.

The file structure is a mess. That needs cleaning up.

Help file is very good.

Its a little unstable.

But I like it. Looking forword to Mk 2

Pete

« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 08:31:27 AM by PeteMRU »

jimux

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 10:31:41 AM »
You have to put the wallpaper in /share/pixmaps/ as anything on an SD card or USB stick is not available at the time when it tries to load it.

wicknix

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 09:31:05 PM »
Retro OS

I've run this for a week now. So I thought a REPORT:-

I do not think it runs as fast as the standard OS. But it is bigger.

The wallpaper is a bit too harsh, but cannot keep alternative. On restart it resets to pre set.

Keyboard, Why do I need to set that up every time I turn on !!! Its a real pain.

The start up jingle would be good with a 6 note chime.

The close down page/screen is smart, very good.

The file structure is a mess. That needs cleaning up.

Help file is very good.

Its a little unstable.

But I like it. Looking forword to Mk 2

Pete

Retro is the default OS, just has added extras. Speed shouldn't have changed since nothing (major) is different.

Wallpaper fix posted above. Been discussed on forum before.

Keyboard starts with US key mapping because i live in the US, and since i made retro that's the way it is. You can change the default key mapping to use whatever you want. It's been discussed on the forum before.

Startup jingle you can change to whatever you want so long as it's in .wav format. Been discussed on the forum before.

How is the file structure a mess? It's a normal linux file system. Nothing messy about it.

It should be no more unstable than the default OS, since again it is the default OS. It still has the quirks the default OS had though.

There will be no release 2 of retro. Also discussed in forum before.

3MX and Retro aren't for everybody. Some like them, some don't. I'm just giving people more options to play with. If you're happy with it then great, glad to hear it. If not, there is always the bland default OS.

Cheers.

PeteMRU

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 03:34:53 PM »
hi Wichnix.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Yes I've sorted out the wallpaper. But in the end, I'll keep the default. ha ha

I did not know that you live in the US, that answers that. I can live with it.

It did feal as though it is slower. I suppose its down to expectations. You expect it to be slower so it is !!

All games play and with no locking up. Kids love it.

The files do look different. Not quite  the same as in the old OS. Could this be down to the version of MC !.

Pity though you are not going to do more work on it.

So I must thank you for doing such a good job. Wonder what offerings Google will bring. They will have to pull out all there stops seeing the bench mark has been set so high.

Thanks

Pete

wicknix

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 07:32:46 PM »
Yeah retro was just whipped together out of pure boredom one night. It's my take on what the default OS should have been as to me the default was lacking in certain areas. Like the default theme i thought was just downright hideous.

These machines aren't blazing fast, but honestly for being clocked at 335mhz they handle most everything pretty darn well

I'm still planning to release 3MX 4.0 sometime soon, and still have the urge to do a complete new distro from scratch built with open embedded. Just need more time. So while retro was a 1 time deal 3MX and beyond is still living. Just being a a 1 man operation i'm surprised how much i've managed to offer since March. Xenium (too bad it was never finished) was the first alternate OS for these and it sparked my interest to sort of pick up where Lee left off and create something even better.

Cheers.

priddles

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 12:09:50 PM »
I see what you mean about VideoOnline (after I put let Skytone know my MAC address & it started 'working')!!!!  ::)

I just returned a wonky Ubisurfer (& got a CnM minibook). Did you know that the Ubisurfer has a very basic (text based & easy to use) Youtube player that actually works!!!! Perhaps it should be available somehow for the rest of us? ::)