Author Topic: Machine locking up  (Read 10892 times)

Freddie43

Re: Machine locking up
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2009, 11:45:53 PM »
OK, finally got the correct file, editted it, rebooted several times, but it just sticks at the shutting down screen when I power down from the red button.

- so I guess I'm going to have to get used to switching off with the power button!

Any ideas about the slow start up? It is just over a minute at the moment - used to be 20-30 secs as I recall

jimux

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2009, 08:15:57 AM »
Do you use big SD Cards or USB memory sticks?  By default the box checks the storage media on the way up.

Freddie43

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 04:09:45 AM »
>jimux. Interesting idea. I use a 2Gb SD card, but removing it doesn't seem to reduce the start up time.

>Mijzelf. Thanks for your Reply #26. Afraid I haven't yet had the time to try it out, but I have bought another SD card for it!

jimux

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 11:15:20 AM »
Freddie,
I think the time has come to find out exactly where your machine is running slow.  This is done by including diagnostic lines in the scripts.

The main boot script that it is safe to look as is /etc/init.d/rcS  This mounts the file systems and initiates the desktop, so is the best place to start. The file systems are mounted by the code below (on 3MX anyway and others will be similar) so if we add some user variables to datestamp the processes then we can see how long each takes.

MYSTART=$(/bin/date)
# mount filesystems
/bin/mount -o loop /proc
MYGOTPROC=$(/bin/date)
/bin/mount -t devpts /dev/pts
MYGOTPTS=$(/bin/date)
/bin/mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb
MYGOTUSB=$(/bin/date)
/etc/init.d/mount_extend &
MYGOTEXTEND=$(/bin/date)
source /etc/init.d/modules

Then for ease of use write yourself a little script called, say, /sbin/mystart.sh

#!/bin/sh
echo 'started ' $MYSTART
echo 'proc loaded ' $MYGOTPROC
echo 'pts loaded ' $MYGOTPTS
echo 'usb loaded ' $MYGOTUSB
echo '2nd Gb loading ' $MYGOTEXTEND

Run the script from a terminal to examine the timings, and add similar lines elsewhere to look at other parts of the start process.  Note that I have used environment variables as at the start of the process there is nowhere to write user files.  Once you have the extended flash drive loaded you can write to this using lines like
echo 'got to this point ' $(date) >> /Extend/Extend_1/mylog.txt
which will add a line to a file.  But note the ampersand (&) at the end if the command to load the extended drive.  This means carry on with the script without waiting for this line to finish processing so you would need to remove the ampersand to get a true timing for the completion of this step.

Hope this helps.

Freddie43

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 12:46:47 PM »
>jimux. Fascinating stuff - that's just the sort of thing I used to have to do back in the bad old days of assembler. Give me time - I'm rather busy fighting Tesco's attempt to suck the lifeblood out of a little market town!