Author Topic: Planetarium software  (Read 3571 times)

Stevel

Planetarium software
« on: August 20, 2009, 11:02:43 AM »
Has anybody got a planetarium program running on the standard OS or 3MX, or even the debian port?

There are loads available for linux, but I cant find too many for mipsel with a .deb available, only kstars, which requires KDE and I don't know if that'll work 'out of the box'.

This may be my first attempt at compiling for the cnmbook if not.

Thanks

Steve

KneeOn

• "The Baby of LLF!"
Re: Planetarium software
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 08:38:47 AM »
What about the specs for the machine? Will they be able to run any software like that? and the limited disk space? Unless you symbolic link it to an SD cardd and keep the SD card in when you want to run it... ???
"Wow baby i was booorn! With a fast fuuuuse!"
"I wanna go fast!"
"Tango With Added Tango... You've been Tango'd!"

This has been my first experiance with linux, the LLL. Now i have installed it on the laptop that came with M$.!

Leven2e

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 09:54:54 AM »
you just can't use this kinda software on these machines.
The Hun.

Stevel

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 11:10:19 AM »
I can't believe that the computer can't run it, after all there is software of this kind running on the lots of less powerful hand helds, and there's even a java phone version.

When I get up the courage I'll have to try compiling one of them.

jimux

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 12:30:46 PM »
I seem to remember this sort of software being around in the 80s running on what today would be considered very low spec machines, including some running as interpreted BASIC.  It would probably need tweaking from the versions around then to bwbasic but with a swap file installed it would be fast.  I'll have a dig through some old floppy disks.

Stevel

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
Thanks jimux,

Messing with a basic program would be more my technical level than compiling from scratch at the moment, although I want to try the latter at some stage.

Steve

jimux

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 03:03:36 PM »
This may take longer than I thought, I've got to find a machine with a floppy drive.  Meanwhile have a look at  http://www.skyandtelescope.com/resources/software/3304911.html for a host of BASIC code astronomy programs or http://www.stellarium.org/ for a compilable planetarium.

KneeOn

• "The Baby of LLF!"
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 06:19:25 PM »
All programs that are planetarium programs automaticly spring to mind a google earth style program!  ::) My generation eh?
"Wow baby i was booorn! With a fast fuuuuse!"
"I wanna go fast!"
"Tango With Added Tango... You've been Tango'd!"

This has been my first experiance with linux, the LLL. Now i have installed it on the laptop that came with M$.!