Author Topic: Midnight commander  (Read 4712 times)

crylex

Midnight commander
« on: September 16, 2008, 01:58:15 PM »
Hi

For those that want to play with the Linux at a lower level, I would strongly recommend midnight commander, run from the xterm, both available here

http://www.xs4all.nl/~jostht/epc/

Chris

jasuk70

Re: Midnight commander
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 02:43:30 PM »
Cheers for that. I've just installed and I've also got the ssh from that link which works a treat too.

Jas

cnm_venturer

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:44:21 PM »
ZTE MF622 Modem

I am a complete newbie to linux.  If I download midnight commander to my cmn miniBook where will I find it and what will it let me do.
I got this the other day, with apologies to Jim, but do not have a clue how to use it on my cnm miniBook - any guidance would be appreciated.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=665332

Re: ZTE USB Modem Help

Okay scrap the problems, Here is how to do if for people out there (none of this is my doing really, I've just played around with the information out there)

First you need to set up the ZTE MF622 as a modem rather than a usb drive. This is done by inserting the following script.

ACTION!="add", GOTO="ZTE_End"

# Is this the ZeroCD device?
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="2000",
SYSFS{idVendor}=="19d2", GOTO="ZTE_ZeroCD"

# Is this the actual modem?
SUBSYSTEM=="usb", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0001",
SYSFS{idVendor}=="19d2", GOTO="ZTE_Modem"

LABEL="ZTE_ZeroCD"
# This is the ZeroCD part of the card, remove
# the usb_storage kernel module so
# it does not get treated like a storage device
RUN+="/usr/src/usb_modeswitch-0.9.2/usb_modeswitch -d 1 -v 0x19d2 -p 0x2000 -V 0x19d2 -P 0x0001"

LABEL="ZTE_Modem"
# This is the Modem part of the card, let's
# load usbserial with the correct vendor
# and product ID's so we get our usb serial devices
RUN+="/sbin/modprobe usbserial vendor=0x19d2 product=0x0001",
# Make users belonging to the dialout group
# able to use the usb serial devices.
MODE="660", GROUP="dialout"

LABEL="ZTE_End"

Make this in gedit and save it in etc/udev/rules.d and make sure the file name ends in .rules e.g. sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/ZTEMF622.rules

Now you need to set up the dialing mechanism. This is done using wvdial, what you need to do is create the following wvdial.conf file if you are using the ZTE in England with Three

[Dialer Defaults]

Init2 = ATZ

Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0

Stupid Mode = 1

Modem Type = Analog Modem

ISDN = 0

Phone = *99#

Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0

Username = user

Dial Command = ATDT

Password = pass

Baud = 460800

That file is saved in etc/wvdial.conf. So you put in the terminal sudo gedit /etc/wvdial.conf then paste the dialer defaults code into that and save.

Then reboot with the modem plugged in form the begging of the reboot. Activate the modem by typing sudo wvdial in the terminal. If all is well you should be on the internet. Note: if the modem light is red then it's not going to work you need to unplug it plug it back in. It should then go green. You will need to reboot in order to get it working again.

Hope that helps

Jim

Re: ZTE USB Modem Help

Thanks for this thread and JimmyI in particular. My minutes old ZTE-MF622 is now connected and running well under Debian on an Eee.

Using the same process above but with the small addition of adding the wvdial package.

Sadly the coverage where I am is 'so so'. Its good to know it is usable though for when I am on the move again.

Thanks again

deltabravo

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 07:33:05 PM »
Hi

For those that want to play with the Linux at a lower level, I would strongly recommend midnight commander, run from the xterm, both available here

http://www.xs4all.nl/~jostht/epc/

Chris

\
Could someone give me a hint on how to use midight commander via xterm

Leven2e

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 09:21:13 PM »
Open XTerm
Type MC
Press Enter
The Hun.

Unhban

• Thinks....
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 01:10:57 AM »
And if you want MC in colour! Type mc -c

I like Midnight Commander, but if you want a, how-can-I-say-it.... a slightly more modern approach, there is an add-on for the browser (Bon-Echo (Firefox v.2)) used in the Elonex called FIREFLY, that turns Firefox into a file manager (but it isn't as fast as MC. MC is the real Linux way of doing things)....

Within the browser click TOOLS, then ADD-ONS, then when to the Mozilla site search for FIREFLY.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 01:18:28 AM by Unhban »

deltabravo

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 02:07:34 PM »
Many thanks - Sorted