Author Topic: Are ISPs tightening up on sending emails?  (Read 3786 times)

Freddie43

Are ISPs tightening up on sending emails?
« on: August 01, 2009, 09:40:52 AM »

Just when I thought I had got it sorted - sending emails via WiFi hotspots and friends WiFi by using 'relay' - it looks like the ISPs may be changing the rules

Examples:

a) Orange

My brother in law is with Orange, and I have been happily sending email via his WiFi using relay - until yesterday - when it announced that it would only accept email from Orange accounts!

b) Vodafone

I have had occasional refusals of Vodafone to let me send emails from my Vodafone broadband dongle - see: http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,491.msg4834.html#msg4834

Has anyone else experienced changes recently?

wicknix

Re: Are ISPs tightening up on sending emails?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 06:19:18 PM »
I stopped using ISP specific email over decade ago. Too much hassle. I switched over to yahoo webmail years ago (its free) and everything has been fine. No issues sending/receiving mail no matter where i am, what ISP i'm using, what pc i'm using etc etc.

Artus Irbe

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 09:54:48 AM »
I have a mix of mail boxes, Hotmail because it comes with MSN messenger, Yahoo because its a secondary address, and i can use it for stuff that will probably end up spamming me, but that i want to registar for/with (mostly game/forum sites) and Facebook for friends. Facebook is free with some mobile tarrifs/contracts so its like having msn on my phone with out using godawful MSN mobile.

Freddie43

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 11:08:09 AM »
Sorry! Wasn't I clear?

I rather like doing my email via Sylpheed - it is much quicker and simpler than doing webmail, and I can take it all home and add it to my main machine and handle it offline. Broadband here in rural Suffolk is not reliable and I don't really want to trust my personal stuff with Gmail etc - you don't know what they do with it!

Leven2e

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »
yeah,they read them and  make money for themselves,using your ideas.
Also,it must take quite a time sending emails using web-mails,and perhaps Sylpheed has a wide variety of features that Gmail won't handle.
Plus it may be too easy to make it possible to let ANY computer in the world to access your work-related letters or classified data from ANYWHERE.
Isn't it what netbooks are designed for?

Whiskers

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:28:10 PM »

Just when I thought I had got it sorted - sending emails via WiFi hotspots and friends WiFi by using 'relay' - it looks like the ISPs may be changing the rules

[...]

Some ISPs block 'port 25', which is the conventional standard for SMTP.  But many email servers allow connection via another port, to get around that.  Port 587 often works.

Artus Irbe

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 06:49:27 AM »
Oh i see, Freddie, fair enough! If i could get my web mail to go through slypheed then i would! But i can't :(

And now i think of it, the LLL is a bit... too slow loading up these freemail sites like yahoo and hotmail.

Leven2e

webmail
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 08:09:48 AM »
Isn't it faster using the mobile versions of the freemail providers?
I have posted a few links to those,if you are interested: http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,57.msg4174.html#msg4174
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:20:46 AM by Leven2e »

Whiskers

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 11:06:33 AM »
Oh i see, Freddie, fair enough! If i could get my web mail to go through slypheed then i would! But i can't :(

And now i think of it, the LLL is a bit... too slow loading up these freemail sites like yahoo and hotmail.

Fastmail's (user configurable to some extent) web interface works well with Bon Echo, and the free account includes IMAP which works well with Sylpheed, but there's no SMTP unless you pay.  You can of course 'relay' outgoing messages 'From' a fastmail address using another SMTP server that does permit relaying.

GMX.com has a very bloated webmail interface that doesn't work at all on the LLL, but POP, IMAP, and SMTP, all work fine with Sylpheed.  Their SMTP server does not allow relaying, and does impose a limit of 11 "recipients" per hour.

Freddie43

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 07:25:46 PM »
Thanks Whiskers - Port 587 certainly fooled Orange!
Sorry about the delay but I don't get to try it very often..

Artus Irbe

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 07:40:37 PM »
Yeah, i do use those Levi, but with a 50 second wait for FF to open, Slypheed will probabbly be faster and you don't have to stay online to read them, because you can save emails local, write out replys and send when your next online :)

I love that list, and tried to add some more but it didn't let me. Class work mate!