Author Topic: Will this SD card work?  (Read 4923 times)

mrdeano

Will this SD card work?
« on: July 31, 2009, 03:44:57 PM »
http://www.directfoto.co.uk/shop/product/Integral-Secure-Digital-Card-1GB.aspx

If not could someone show me some SD cards that will. I haven't got much money so I want to get this right the first time round.

Tank

Re: Will this SD card work?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:04:25 PM »
I am using a 2.0GB SanDisc and has worked well each time, dont forget to Format it for Fat or it will not work, these downloads are great, have a go
Tank

waldgrun

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 08:16:56 PM »
It seems to me that it's pot luck if your card works or not with our little machines
this might help
http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,59.0.html
Mine you the question perhaps should be has anyone any experience of Integral SD cards?

Leven2e

Flash memory card
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 08:39:01 PM »
I don't want to upset anybody,but in my opinion any SD card would work . I have quite a few laying around, some of them are really old and I never experienced any problem.Key point is making sure they are formatted FAT16 for software and  MBR updates.
mrdeano ,the card you asked about is far too expensive,I hope you don't wanna buy it there!!
I got this from amazon:
   Transcend - Flash memory card - 4 GB - Class 6 - SDHC
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:34:50 AM by Jay »

Unhban

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 10:34:42 AM »
Yes Waldgrun, I've used both 1GB and 2GB Integral SD cards to update my Elonex OK....

Unh.

jimux

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 02:33:58 PM »
Any SD card should work, I use 2Gb ones from my local supermarket.  The real problem is formatting it to FAT16 and making sure you properly shut it done on your desktop machine before removing it.
If you are using a Linux desktop machine then some flavours of linux do not offer a FAT16 option in their GUI disk managers, but VFAT sometimes works.

I guess the obvious way would be to format on the notebook itself, but they do not have a gui interface, and you have to download Xterm and know the command line tools to do it.  WHen Iget time perhaps I'll write a shell script to do it. - once I've worked out how to create an icon to call it.

mrdeano

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 03:10:04 PM »
Good news people!

I have found a Maxell 1gb SD card laying around in the house and it worked beautifully.
I have tried 3mx 3.1 and I didn't really like it. It was incredibly slow! I tried loading iceweasle and it took a good 2 minutes for it to boot up.
I searched around the forum and everyone said that it was normal for the first time. So i rebooted and tried again. It was still very slow.

So I am back to the original OS for Bon Echo. I would defiantly switch to 3mx again if there was a possibility that I could have Bon Echo running at original OS speed.

wicknix

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 04:07:57 AM »
You could install 3MX rc1.1 if you prefer bonecho and its speed. Alot of people still like rc1.1 because it is very snappy.

Retro also uses bonecho and is IMHO much better than the default OS in looks and speed and extra software.

3MX rc3.1 is a bit slower, but thats due to upgrading/updating a lot of software and libraries. It's the price you pay for newer/more/better software. :P  Though there was a reason it came with 4 web browsers. Elinks is blazing, dillo is blazing, netsurf is so so and iceweasel eh not horrible, but not quick.

Cheers.