Author Topic: Emulation of the Elonex Desktop under QEMU  (Read 12341 times)

dan1123

Re: Emulation of the Elonex Desktop under QEMU
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 10:34:32 PM »
press alt-3 to see the console (or alt-F3, not at home at the moment, its in the batch file), start vncviewer (press listen), then type elonex_ start into the console.

Argh, it was Ctrl-Alt-3 to see the console.  I started and stopped it half a dozen times before I looked in the file.  :P

dan1123

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 10:46:37 PM »
I have updated my blog with a new post, that includes pre-cooked QEMU images.

http://blog.mottershead.me.uk/blog/ElonexONEt/_archives/2008/10/3/3913506.html

These images are hosted on my personal website and are big so please do not abuse the bandwidth.

P.S. If anybody can help me with a file upload site to host these images. I would be much obliged. I tried a few and they just do not seem to work, with large files.

I found one minor error in your run_elonex script.  The geometry should be 800x480 instead of 640x480.

Jay Turner

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2009, 02:21:23 PM »
I'm really confused. Can somebody explane this to me?
Elonex OneT + Software hacks + 4Gig SD card

dan1123

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2009, 07:07:57 PM »
I'm really confused. Can somebody explane this to me?

Step 1: Get TightVNC from here: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/vnc-tight/tightvnc-1.3.9_x86_viewer.zip
Step 2: Unzip and double click on vncviewer.exe
Step 3: Click on "Listening mode"
Step 4: Get qemu from here: http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/~kazuw/qemu-win/qemu-0.9.0-mips.zip
Step 5: Unzip qemu into some directory like C:\qemu-0.9.0-mips\
Step 6: Get hda, hdb, and kernel files from the top of this page: http://blog.mottershead.me.uk/blog/ElonexONEt/_archives/2008/10/3/3913506.html
Step 7: Unzip each file into the qemu directory
Step 7: Open a command prompt, go to the qemu directory and type: qemu-system-mipsel -L . -initrd initrd -kernel vmlinux-2.6.18-5-qemu -hda hda.qcow2 -hdb hdb.qcow2 -append "root=/dev/hda1 console=ttyS0"

You should now have a blank qemu window

Step 8: Press Ctrl-Alt-3

The window should now have lots of text.  Wait for a login prompt

Step 9: login as root with password root
Step 10: Type run_elonex at the prompt

You should now have a VNC window pop up with a squarish version of the Elonex desktop.

Bonus step:  Edit the run_elonex script in /root/bin/run_elonex and change the -geometry value to 800x480

Hope that helps

Jay Turner

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2009, 10:08:58 PM »
ok, and this will run any actual elonex  (and mips) programs withing my x86 windows?

dan1123

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2009, 10:49:29 PM »
ok, and this will run any actual elonex  (and mips) programs withing my x86 windows?

Yes, with the caveat that emulation is never perfect and some errors may occur.  Getting data in and out is another problem in Windows.  The disk images cannot be mounted in Windows (maybe filedisk can do it?)  and there is no virtual SD card or other method of getting data in.

Jay Turner

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 12:08:37 PM »

Yes, with the caveat that emulation is never perfect and some errors may occur.  Getting data in and out is another problem in Windows.  The disk images cannot be mounted in Windows (maybe filedisk can do it?)  and there is no virtual SD card or other method of getting data in.
So its an os which you cant do anything with?

dan1123

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 07:47:20 PM »
So its an os which you cant do anything with?

Well in Linux, you can just mount the disk images.

I found a solution for windows and I am seeing a file in qemu that I added from windows, so I know it is working.

How you do it is download filedisk and create and mount some size of disk (I chose 100MB).  Then you format the disk in windows to FAT-32.  Then you add whatever files you want to the disk and unmount it.

Modify the qemu line to add a -hdc parameter with the name of your newly created disk.  Then when you boot, type "mount -t vfat /dev/hdc /mnt" and your files will show up in /mnt.

Jay Turner

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 06:00:20 PM »
ahh forget it, its too complicated for me

KanedaFr

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 12:56:25 PM »
I have updated my blog with a new post, that includes pre-cooked QEMU images.

http://blog.mottershead.me.uk/blog/ElonexONEt/_archives/2008/10/3/3913506.html

These images are hosted on my personal website and are big so please do not abuse the bandwidth.

P.S. If anybody can help me with a file upload site to host these images. I would be much obliged. I tried a few and they just do not seem to work, with large files.

Hi all

it seems the blog didn't survive to 2013
Does someone backup the images ?
It's the shame because I only notice this blog last week and planned to test it this week !
Very bad synchro :(

websjakie

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2013, 06:35:17 PM »