Author Topic: Wistumbler2 setup  (Read 2903 times)

terrykiow

Wistumbler2 setup
« on: July 27, 2009, 11:20:20 PM »
I cannot get Wistumbler2 to work on my CnMLifestyle Minibook.  I have been trying for weeks.  The wifi autodetect finds "eth1" whereas my researches so far show that the default configuration should br "wi0".   I have searched my root system and such file appears to exist.

Help please!!!! :-[

wicknix

Re: Wistumbler2 setup
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 02:10:08 AM »
No, eth1 is correct for these machines (eth0 = ethernet, eth1 = wifi, ppp0 = dialup through usb/serial, etc).

For it to work you have to start wifi first, then open wistumbler. Works fine on my alpha400.

Cheers.

terrykiow

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 08:32:32 PM »
STill cannot lock on to a wireless transmitter.  I can see the names of the hosts, but signal remains at 0 and there is no connection.

When one is asked for HOST in the setup, is there a default I should use?  Perhaps this is where I am going wrong.  Is Port 2501 OK?

Many thanks for help to date ???

wicknix

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 11:39:13 PM »
I've never used it to actually 'connect' to anything, just for sniffing while driving since the default wireless utility doesn't constantly scan like wistumbler does. Once is see a bunch of open 'hot spots' i just refresh the default wireless connection utility and connect to an open AP using that. You should still see signal strength and not just the AP names however.

Cheers.

terrykiow

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 10:52:29 PM »
Yes Wicknix, that makes sense.

I am still confused about what to enter under HOST.  Going in the system I find the hostname for the CnM Minibook is simply 0.  That doesn't work for a connection.

Are there any alternatives that can be used to Port 2501?

Many thanks for input so far.  In the meantime I will follow your guidelines.

PeteMRU

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 09:45:33 PM »
hi.

I've just installed Wi_stumbler  As I see it its main perpus is to, Well! stumble on hot spots. Cannot see it doing anything other than that. Still useful though..

So question is... has anyone got it working as it "should" if so what are the settings.

I get no signal strength, just 0.

Pete