Author Topic: New Members Say Hi  (Read 3739 times)

techno

New Members Say Hi
« on: July 09, 2009, 06:12:14 PM »
A board for new members to introduce themselves

Leven2e

Re: New Members Say Hi
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 07:36:15 PM »
so why not do it? u start. All we know u r into techno music.
The Hun.

techno

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 08:07:47 PM »
No can't stand it, just a user name.

Interested in computers in general, very much like to bypass Microsoft so Linux is of interest to me but know very little about it. Would like to try it on a netbook / small cheap laptop that i could use when traverling or away from home.

Looking for some help in selecting a Small Linux Laptop considering the UbiSurfer from Maplin but no idea if its any good. Maybe you could offer an alternative thats better?

Leven2e

acer aspire one
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 08:24:38 PM »
The Hun.

techno

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 09:27:56 PM »
Looks OK is it a better bet than the Ubisurfer Netbook from Maplins, what appeals to me on this is the free surfing for 12 months, but having said that no idea about the quality of the computer never heared of Datawind

Whiskers

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 03:51:26 PM »
Looks OK is it a better bet than the Ubisurfer Netbook from Maplins, what appeals to me on this is the free surfing for 12 months, but having said that no idea about the quality of the computer never heared of Datawind

The 'Ubisurfer' looks like similar hardware and software to the Linux CNMbook Maplin used to have (they are still offering a few 'B-Grade' specimens of that one), although the CPU is ARM instead of MIPS - and of course it has a 'mobile broadband dongle' built-in and comes with the Datawind/Vodaphone mobile broadband account.  I would expect it to be a light-weight and very portable device, suitable for occasional email and web stuff - but not for anything 'heavy' such as the BBC iPlayer or writing the next Great British novel.  Yes it runs a form of Linux, but it's such a limited machine, and the software is so heavily customised and locked down, that you won't learn much about 'using Linux' - not much more than you would from your TV digibox or broadband router, which also probably run some sort of Linux. 

The EeePC 901 Maplin are selling is a much more powerful and capable machine - and will run a normal Linux distro perfectly well, although Maplin are selling it with Windows XP pre-installed so you'll be paying the Microsoft tax even if you install Mandriva or Ubuntu or something instead.
CnMbook user since March 2009; Linux user since about 2003.