Author Topic: File transfer across a USB - USB connection  (Read 4117 times)

LittleDavid

File transfer across a USB - USB connection
« on: June 25, 2009, 09:05:03 PM »
I have a CmNBook running  V70 and a desktop running Ubuntu 9.04. I want to transfer files from the netbook to the desktop. Can I do this directly via a USB - USB cable? What software, if any, do I need? How do I pick up the connection in Ubuntu? Or am I pushing the technology too hard. Would Ubuntu 8.04 be any better?

Leven2e

Re: File transfer across a USB - USB connection
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 09:40:41 PM »
I have just been thinking the same...

wicknix

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 03:07:08 AM »
It should be possible. The kernel does come with the usb serial driver. I haven't tried myself though. I'd suggest just setting up a ftp/telnet/ssh server on your desktop and transfer the files that way. Quick and easy.  ;)

Cheers.

LittleDavid

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 08:22:28 PM »
Thanks for the response. but I need much more than that.  I've installed SSH on the desktop, and can start it, but where do I go then? Do I need anything on the CmNBook? - I don.t get any refeerence to the USB in file manager. Shoiuld I be setting up a network connection? How? Do I need to request anything from the host? etc., etc. etc!  Sorry but I,m no expert on communications.

wicknix

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 04:14:46 AM »
You'll need both machines connected to the network if you're going to use ssh (or ftp or telnet). Start ssh on the desktop then in xterm on the cnm machine type something similar to this:

scp /path/to/the/file/i/want/to/transfer/file.extention root@your.ip.address:/root

This will send the file 'file.extention' to roots home folder on the desktop.

If you're not a console junkie you'd probably be better off setting up an ftp server on the desktop and installing/using gftp on the cnm as its graphical and easy to use.

Cheers.

Unhban

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 12:05:38 PM »
Have a look at reply #7 here, it may be of some use too:

http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,233.msg1346.html

Unh.