Author Topic: UBISurfer Netbook with GPRS Mobile  (Read 22208 times)

duttydea

• You wont know untill you search, then ask!!
UBISurfer Netbook with GPRS Mobile
« on: June 11, 2009, 04:31:47 PM »
Maplin are now selling a new version of the Linux minibook.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=261613

it seems to have a built-in GPRS ( I think its just a vodafone dongle built in like the wifi)

Im waiting for tech support to call me back!!

will post more info as i get it!!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:17:30 PM by Jay »

wicknix

Re: UBISurfer Netbook with GPRS Mobile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 06:50:28 PM »
Ewwww. 64 meg of ram only?  ::)

duttydea

• You wont know untill you search, then ask!!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 07:22:30 PM »
Lol!! I know!!

I was more interested in the built in GPRS and the "Maker" is in partnership with Vodafone
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 07:31:56 PM by duttydea »

Whiskers

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 03:11:37 PM »
<http://www.maplin.co.uk/Media/PDFs/UserManual_UbiSurfer_10June.pdf> (52 pages) is interesting.  This one is ARM-based, and uses Linux and a suite of programs that looks very much like the CnMbook's although the 'logoff' icon now works more like the Windows 'Start' icon, displaying a menu of applications.  The look of the GUI is more grown-up too.

Maplin don't seem to be heavily committed to the product: 
UBISurfer Netbook with GPRS Mobile Access
only £149.99 - on sale until 07/07/2009

Order Code: A37JK
Out of stock, due within 7 Days

"Datawind" seem to be the firm that already supplies Maplin with the 'Pocket Surfer' gadget, so perhaps CnMLifestyle and Skytone aren't involved in the new product - it wasn't on their web sites just now.
CnMbook user since March 2009; Linux user since about 2003.

techno

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »
A few questions on this one but first as a new user can I say what a usefull forum, like it a lot and will be revisiting.

Thinking of picking up one of these UbiSurfer Netbooks -with one year free access to the internet - 30 hours per month via a Vodaphone link

Sounds like a very good deal to me.
Well first question is, is it a good deal?
Note the low ram 64 meg will that be an issue for browsing?
At £149.99 it seems cheap if only for the 30hrs per month free access
An idea what internet access would cost after the first year?
Note it also comes with a built in word processer and spreadsheet
Datawind, never heard of them, notice this forum headers are almost all Elonex.
Looking at this one but understand there are several other browsers out there Ausu is it that also make one. Are there any recomendations, comparisons made on this site?
Is this the best value netbook for general browsing or would you recomend an alternative?

Freddie

• Programmer since the dawn of time but Linux virgin
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 09:32:41 PM »
Hi techno - welcome aboard!

I've got a CnM with a Vodafone dongle (see mails elsewhere) and it is £15 per gigabyte downloaded with no expiry date. At the moment I only use that when away from home and not near WiFi hotspots, so I am spending PENNIES !
CnM minibook, 128 MB, 2 GB SSD, kernel V70, default Debian Linux OS.
Vodaphone K3565 TopUp and Go Mobile Broadband when away from home

techno

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 09:46:18 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Freddie

Thats what I am looking for cheap internet connection when away from home.

What is CnM ?

Re the Vodafone dongle how much did that cost to buy?

techno

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 09:51:46 PM »
Looking for someone to give me a good reason not to buy this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=261613&DOY=4m7

Apart from the fact they say they are out of stock that is  ;D

£149.99 and 30hrs a month internet access still looks like a bargain, to good to be true? But can't see the catch?

techno

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 09:58:36 PM »
Found it

http://www.cnmlifestyle.com/

Looks good simlar spec to the Maplin and low memory does that give any problems?

Leven2e

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 10:01:20 PM »
You could by an Acer One for this price,but with huge HDD,faster proc. ,etc
The Hun.

techno

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 10:09:39 PM »
You could by an Acer One for this price,but with huge HDD,faster proc. ,etc

Don't need the huge HDD, faster proc may be of use but what about the free internet access that seems to make the Maplin one a bargain or am I missing something? Can you see anything about the Maplin one that makes it a bad buy?

Freddie

• Programmer since the dawn of time but Linux virgin
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 05:52:14 AM »
At the risk of boring everyone who has read my previous posts... (techno, you need to do some searches on this forum)

I bought a 'used' CnM minibook from Maplin, but they had not reloaded it and there were a number of problems so I returned it.

I then bought a 'Grade A' refurbished Acer Aspire One (Linux + SSD) which is lovely, but heavier and has a clumsy power supply and a hopeless forum. Also it won't work with my Vodagone dongle.

Meanwhile I kept an eye open on eBay and eventually found an 'as new' minibook in my price range. OK it is slow and doesn't like me typing fast, but I love it - light and compact and has a great forum. I take it everywhere and keep in touch via WiFi hotspots and my Vodafone dongle - although there are issues with sending emails (various posts on that - not all overcome yet but you can always fall back on webmail!)

And of course being SSD (solid state disk) it is pretty rugged so no hard disk to crash!
CnM minibook, 128 MB, 2 GB SSD, kernel V70, default Debian Linux OS.
Vodaphone K3565 TopUp and Go Mobile Broadband when away from home

techno

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 09:45:16 PM »
Had a good look round the internet and this forum think we will be visiting Maplin at the weekend.

Maybe I didn't post my requirements well. I have a powerfull computer that does everthing I need where I need to do it at home. When away all I need is email, something that will load a forum like this and an average website with no video. Don't want Microsoft want Linux but not that interested in the workings so it can be locked down as long as it does the simple tasks I need it for. Cheap internet access no contract is very key. The new maplin machine "Basic usage (30 hours per month) is included for the first year, and requires no additional fees. Basic usage for the second year would cost a maximum of £29.99 for the whole year at 30 hours per month" Heavy users can opt for unlimited access for only £5.99 a month"

Think I have talked myself into it, here is Datawinds press release http://www.ubisurfer.com/html/Press_release.htm

Unless it looks bad not seen one in the flesh yet and the pictures are not to good think as soon as they are in stock I will be having one  8)

utd_grant

• This is not me (sorry to disappoint !)
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 08:18:28 AM »
It sounds like the Ubisurfer fits your needs perfectly. Please keep us posted on this forum once you've used it for a while - there are likely to be others here interested in an all-in-one mobile solution. You can find my take on the Elonex ONEt after 4 months' use here.
Elonex ONEt: user since Xmas 2008.
OS Version: ELX-V07 + extras
Ubuntu: user since May 2008.
Windows:  user/programmer since the dawn of time. :)
Linux Level: working towards 'Intermediate'.

Unhban

• Thinks....
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 09:43:54 AM »
Hi techno. That sounds quite a good deal if there's no hidden problems with the internet side (sounds like you're convinced and happy with the deal anyway! ;) ). Yes the minibook is fine for email and general browsing. I've had my Elonex since it came out last August and just to give you an idea of how mine has been used it's had all the new distros tried on it, and been changing files to suit what I want with the desktop, with help from this forum of course, to how I wanted it to run....

But now I've had the added advantage of being able to put it back to exactly the original OS as a mate who lives in North Africa is back here for six weeks and will be using it for.... just as you're going to do... email and general browsing. I got a 3G dongle off Ebay, a Huawei E220 which works perfectly with the Elonex OS, as where he'll be staying has no landline.

So it just shows that these little machines can be changed to run exactly how you want them to individually, i.e. original OS or a play around with the innards using other OSs available on this forum, if you fancy that sort of thing and want to know a little about Linux.

Enjoy!

Unh.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 09:50:03 AM by Unhban »