Author Topic: WiFi chips  (Read 4593 times)

FreddieLAZ

WiFi chips
« on: June 09, 2009, 05:59:34 AM »
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone took time to pull their *book appart and look for a WiFi chip.
Mine has Atheros AR2524-AQ1C chip, there was another notebook that I was offered with Samsung SMG-2100P.

Basically, I'm interested in the driver support for these...

Thanks,
Roman

utd_grant

• This is not me (sorry to disappoint !)
Re: WiFi chips
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 09:01:01 AM »
I think your first port of call should be this page.

Happy hunting !
Elonex ONEt: user since Xmas 2008.
OS Version: ELX-V07 + extras
Ubuntu: user since May 2008.
Windows:  user/programmer since the dawn of time. :)
Linux Level: working towards 'Intermediate'.

Whiskers

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:56:14 AM »
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone took time to pull their *book appart and look for a WiFi chip.
Mine has Atheros AR2524-AQ1C chip, there was another notebook that I was offered with Samsung SMG-2100P.

Basically, I'm interested in the driver support for these...

Thanks,
Roman

Not sure what you are trying to find support for.  Linux in general 'supports' Atheros wifi network interfaces well, using the independent "MadWiFi" software. 

Whatever the wireless chip inside the CnMbook is, it seems the OEM software supports it well enough ;))  But I would expect difficulties if you try to swap any of the hardware in the CnMbook for something different. 

I have no experience of using a Samsung wireless network interface with Linux.  There doesn't seem to be any easily traced information about "Samsung SMG-2100P" on the web - but I think Samsung and Atheros collaborate, so it may just be a re-branded or licensed Atheros design.  Was the other notebook a Samsung-branded computer?
CnMbook user since March 2009; Linux user since about 2003.

FreddieLAZ

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 04:37:57 AM »
To Whiskers:

Basically, I'm buying a set of these notebooks to resell from manufacturers or assemblers (however you want to call them) to resell them. Some offer Atheros, some offer other chips. People on Sales side have no idea about what chip models are in these babies and just call out "Samsung 802.11 b/g" or "Atheros 802.11 b/g". Whereas I want to know more so that I could look up their their tech specs...

Basically, I cracked open the sample that I have and found out the chip model for Atheros and got the tech specs. I agree - I couldn't find jack about Samsung model that they quoted me. No it wasn't Samsung branded unit, just another excellent Chinese no-name.

To: utd_grant

Yeah, I've seen this one before, but there was no info about the chip that they are using. I'll hit up the person directly see what comes of that.

Thanks!!!

Whiskers

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 12:16:25 PM »
This seems to be the original maker's page for the 'Little Linux Laptop' machines we have with various other brands on them.  You could ask them if you want more detailed information, I suppose.

The firmware upgrades and additional software from the various brands (eg <http://www.cnmlifestyle.com/>) seem to make no distinction between different hardware versions of a given model, so it's not unreasonable to suppose that even if the maker of an individual component might vary, the technical specification will be at least 'compatible' for what the original computer builder wants it to do.
CnMbook user since March 2009; Linux user since about 2003.