Author Topic: Printing to HP deskjet 2280 via wireless network  (Read 1896 times)

benneps

Printing to HP deskjet 2280 via wireless network
« on: June 05, 2009, 12:26:03 PM »
Hi, I have a problem printing to the above printer via wireless.  I am using the print server on a Buffalo linkstation NAS.  I seem to be able to connect to the server via Cups but that's as far as I get.  I have a feeling that I need a ppd file for the printer.. (I have tried both HP deskjet options in cups) but on the HP site there is only a hpijs download for this printer which is a Run(?) file.  If anybody has any suggestions I would appreciate it....

regards....

Phil

Whiskers

Re: Printing to HP deskjet 2280 via wireless network
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:57:48 PM »
That printer seems to be officially known as "HP Business Inkjet 2280" rather than a "Deskjet".

I don't know anything about that printer, but if you go to <http://openprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=hpijs> you can find it in the drop-down list of models marked 'Select printer' and then you can click on 'Generate PPD file'.  I have just done that using the option to 'Display the PPD file' (ie read it instead of just downloading it) and the comments at the start of the file include "You may save this file as 'HP-Business_Inkjet_2280-hpijs.ppd'".  To get the file in usable form, 'download' it rather than display it of course.

It looks as though the correct place to save such files on the CnMbook et al is in /etc/cups/ppd/

I've never set up a printer on the CnMbook - nor any printer on a wireless network - so it will be interesting to lern how you get on  :))

benneps

Re: Printing to HP deskjet 2280 via wireless network
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 07:26:46 AM »
Hi, thanks for the reply... The printer is a HP deskjet 2280F printer/scanner.  I have tried to load in a ppd file for a similar printer using the browse feature of cups.  I dont think it works correctly.... I guess the ppd files have to be loaded into a particular directory.

Phil