Author Topic: Are Maplins pulling the plug?  (Read 4704 times)

Metradio

Are Maplins pulling the plug?
« on: May 30, 2009, 06:19:12 PM »
Just did a look up for the Cnm Minibook on Maplins web pages and there is no longer a reference to the Linux Minibook, only the Windows CE version, strange!!

Freddie43

Re: Are Maplins pulling the plug?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 07:01:24 PM »
Umm...
I looked at one this afternoon
Still the same box, 128Mb RAM, but 4Gb SSD instead of 2Gb
I must admit I'd missed the 'Windows' bit - however would they get it to run in 128?

Metradio

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 07:11:18 PM »
The shops should still have plenty of stock..
The spec on the Windows CE version can be found on the CnM Lifestyle site:

http://www.cnmlifestyle.com/

g3wyw

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 11:35:47 AM »
Note also that the CE version runs on an ARM processor, so presumably no immediate compatibility for INTEL applications but what really go me was no USB support at all!

Paul

Whiskers

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 01:16:52 PM »
Note also that the CE version runs on an ARM processor, so presumably no immediate compatibility for INTEL applications but what really go me was no USB support at all!

Paul

<http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=257308&source=1>:
3x USB for mouse / keyboard connection only (no external Hard Drive, USB memory stick or Optical Drive support)
Hmmm. 

I can see uninformed customers being as confused and frustrated by that and the limitations of WinCE as they were by the MIPS Linux machines.  Interesting that Maplin's web site is also promoting the (WinXP home) EeePC901; perhaps they are moving into the 'subnotebook' market in a serious way?  If so that could be very interesting.  PC World need some competition  ;))

When I bought my CnMbook from my nearest Maplin, the sales person took some convincing that I really did understand that 'it isn't Windows' and 'it can't do all the things a real laptop can do' and 'we won't give you a refund if you just don't like it' - so I suspect they'd had some negative feedback previously.  (They seem to have sold out of the MIPS machines now).

Lochban

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 03:32:14 AM »
the vershion of windows intalled on the CnMminibook is windows CE a much cutdown vershion its been around for a lonnnngggg time ( same kind of age as Win98) though it may be older than even that .

rodonn

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 10:14:03 AM »
Rodonn's rule of using an OS - Never use one that's named for an expression of discomfort (wince), for a debilitating, chronic illness (ME)...

Whiskers

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 11:39:39 AM »
the vershion of windows intalled on the CnMminibook is windows CE a much cutdown vershion its been around for a lonnnngggg time ( same kind of age as Win98) though it may be older than even that .

I think you're right; I still have an old PDA that runs WinCE and dates from when I was using 98SE on my desktop computer.  (I haven't used it for a long time).  There are cheap mobile phones around now that can do more.

Unhban

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 01:11:29 PM »
I bought a SatNav (Navman 530) and found that its OS was CE. Not knowing anything about it I managed to get down past the SatNav stuff to the OS and then found, as above, it was so old it wasn't much use. C'est la vie!

But at least it ran the SatNav side OK!  ;D

Unh.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 01:20:13 PM by Unhban »

Freddie43

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 05:24:48 AM »
Looking on the bright side - your CnM has just increased in value
- two used ones recently sold on eBay for £87, another for £91, and a new one went for £94...

and then - I can't believe this - a 'used' CnM just sold on eBay for £185 !!!

see: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200348636830

I bought my 'new' CnM on eBay a few days back for less than a third of that...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 02:29:08 PM by Freddie »

Anthony

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 02:13:17 PM »
I bet its another case of a buyer not reading the description properly and just looking at the pretty picture. They are most likely thinking they have bought a full size laptop

Leven2e

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 08:03:22 PM »
How wrong they are and how disappointed and frustrated they will be...