Author Topic: Which operating system - Poll  (Read 12859 times)

rodonn

Re: Which operating system - Poll
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 06:38:41 PM »
It doesn't deliver what it does 'badly' -  Bon Echo works, Abiword works, gnucalc works, it connects to 99% of Wi-fi, and with the right drivers added handles 3g modems better than Xandros (tying to find the Xandros Huawei drivers is a little like finding the Holy Grail)
Overall, if people expected more they either can't read specs, or we missold the box.
my mother is dead impressed with how it handles prboom... and mum isn't easily impressed (she's 82)

LilYoda

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 10:21:50 PM »
Did a search to find a link to wicknik's retro, but couldn't find it.  Could anyone point me in the right direction please? (No, not towards the door, thanks)

wicknix

blackberry

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 06:44:36 AM »
Standart OS:
1.Wi-Fi - OK.
2.CDMA - OK.
3.PDF-OK.
4.Video(320x240)- OK.
5.e-mail,IM,chat,word,excel,bon echo -OK.
But I removed the standard operating system, because there is no console! Use Debian(wicknix).

Mado

• Zijn Wij Dat?
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 01:46:46 PM »
I use Wicknix's MX 4 Utra and I am very happy with it.
I bought my Trendtac Epc 700BL from my grandson. He was disappointed that this little machine couldn't do what he expected, (what do you expect from a laptop that costs 50 euro's?) But I liked the little machine (I am a gadget freak).
It's my first experience with Linux, but everyday I learn something. Most of all I have learned that the glitches of the machine are not the machines glitches, but mine  :)
Back on topic: before with the default OS, I couldn't use pidgin, the bon echo didn't have the download helper etc. It was basically a children's laptop. Now I have a full fledged laptop that does almost everything I want from it. I still have to show my grandson what he sold to me. I think he will be sorry  ;D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 03:40:55 PM by Mado »
Trendtac Epc 700BL Black 128 MB RAM, 2 GB SSD, kernel V70 Skytone bootscreen, MX 4 Ultra OS.
ZTE MF628 HSDPA USB Modem (which i can't use with my Trendtac :-( )

MikeyGMT

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 09:02:30 PM »
Have been away from my CnMBook for a while. So I upgraded 3mx to RC4 from RC2, which is much improved, thanks to wicknix :D Next try the new Ultra. As others have already mentioned, the shipped OS was a bit junior school, but the kids wont play on it without flash games, and that's not the fault of the OS, Flash has taken over the web and has got to fat and lazy. Which gives me a chance to learn more Linux too. Brilliant  ;D.

Anyway, good work guys, thanks.

wicknix

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 02:34:23 AM »
If you think rc4 is an improvement, skip right past it (it's quite old and a little too bloated and still has quite a few quirks) and toss Ultra3 on it. I don't think you'll be disappointed with it. Much improved, smaller, faster, a newer working pidgin (fixes broken msn and yahoo) with facebook chat plugin added, and a bunch of other goodies.

Cheers.

MikeyGMT

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 12:31:35 PM »
Hi Wicknix,
I've been trying to download Ultra3 over the last couple of days now. The download kept timing out on the 3mx site and on my CnM the download from filefactory kept telling me my time expired so trying to download using my Puppy box. Ooo ... it's finished!  :o Going to Play now.
Mike