Author Topic: Which operating system - Poll  (Read 12336 times)

Jay

• Administrator
    • Unofficial Elonex One / Onet User Blog
Which operating system - Poll
« on: May 30, 2009, 04:52:31 PM »
Time for a vote:  Let the forum know which operating system you prefer to use.

rodonn

Re: Which operating system - Poll
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 12:23:28 AM »
Since I use a lot of PDF stuff, the default is my current weapon of choice, but I've used Wicknix' packages to add GCC and Python to the mix for my own tinkering pleasure. I've also applied the 'increase the concurrent tasks' hack, and some other patches and tweaks... but really, I only need to browse, write, do simple calcs, email, access PDFs, and tinker with C (and maybe python...)
I'd *like* to use 3MX, but it would need the PDF reader, and to lose some bloat. I think the form of 1.1 RC was more to my taste, since it had a minimal overhead, while adding significantly to the tool set, andhad a clean look and feel.  While RC3.x is excellent, it seems a little 'busy', and overloads the system at times. I also like Pidgin, the lack of which put me off RC3 somewhat...
I'm looking forward to trying the 'Classic' Remix...

None of the above should be regarded as an unconstructive criticism of Wicknix's sterling work, just a view into how I found the different  options, and how I work with the wee beastie...

mewtwo

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 01:19:19 AM »
Debian.   ;)

Whiskers

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 01:38:04 PM »
Currently the default system seems to suit me best - although I'd like to be able to use a decent usenet program too.  But I've tried 3MX rc2 and been impressed by it, and I've played with using other window managers in the standard OS instead of the default version of Matchbox. 

I intend to give Mewtwo's Debian package a trial, and I await with interest Wicknix's future offerings too.  I'm not familiar with Debian, but I do like the 'real Linux' features such as highly developed package management and large software repositories - and independence from a single source of software.
CnMbook user since March 2009; Linux user since about 2003.

Zill

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 02:54:13 PM »
Default works fine for us... my wife uses it when she is away from home for email and browsing.  Although I know the default functionality can be extended, we would prefer to use a desktop for more elaborate apps.
These really are great little PCs (if you don't expect too much from them!).

utd_grant

• This is not me (sorry to disappoint !)
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 10:39:18 AM »
I opted for Default (on the Elonex ONEt), having tried all three releases of 3MX at various points.

I dunno, for some perverse reason I just kinda like the idea of having a limited set of apps that (mostly) 'Just Work'TM without tweaking, yet still allow me to actually do useful things when out and about.

Elonex ONEt: user since Xmas 2008.
OS Version: ELX-V07 + extras
Ubuntu: user since May 2008.
Windows:  user/programmer since the dawn of time. :)
Linux Level: working towards 'Intermediate'.

Lochban

• Not me sadly im auld n fat but there ye go :D
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 03:22:14 AM »
Id confess to having tyed 3mx & while its an inpressive piece of work its not somthing i could use day in day out as i do the defalt O/S im looking foward to tying the new DEfalt remix soon as i can find a copy to DL
:)
Regards Lochban

looplu

• oh i hate celebrities so no pic :(
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 02:00:48 AM »
default ahead?

that's unbelievable

3MX is amazing , it's like taking a course in programming , hours of fun ....

if god wanted us to see the morning, he would have put it on later in the afternoon zzzz

utd_grant

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 08:33:55 PM »
I guess a lot depends on whether you want your LLL for just 'doing stuff', or whether you get a kick out of customising and fine-tuning it.

rodonn

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 10:19:52 PM »
Depends... I'm an inveterate tinkerer. The Default is a lot more of a challenge to tinker, since a lot of the time you're on your own. The OS version of being dropped naked on the planet in Alien with nothing but a fruit knife with a broken handle!

utd_grant

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 08:37:45 AM »
The OS version of being dropped naked on the planet in Alien with nothing but a fruit knife with a broken handle!

:D

Seriously, there's not a lot of things you'd want to do on the LLL which the default OS won't let you do - wi-fi connectivity, web surfing (and you can use elinks for a faster, trimmed-down experience), e-mail, chat, video replay, MP3 replay, internet radio, flash games, native games, PDF reader, word processor, spreadsheet, etc. all work pretty solidly out-the-box.

OTOH, there are a number of subtle broken things in all the alternatives I've tried and I can't see any significant boost in performance for things like video replay. That's why I personally stick with the default for now. YMMV.

Neverbe

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 03:59:33 PM »
Where can i find the Devian release for Cnm?

Leven2e

Debian download link
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 07:50:07 PM »
u can download it here:
http://www.filefactory.com/file/ag515a8/n/Recovery_DebianEtchX11-wicknix_img

Could you please use the search pane provided on the top of the page,this is how I found it too.
Thanks,
Levi
The Hun.

worge

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 02:40:35 PM »
Default remix. ex defalult. ex 3mx? ex default.
Had the old "wifi" problems with 3mx. Remix has most of the programs I had been trying to add. It is the one described on the box.

KneeOn

• "The Baby of LLF!"
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 03:44:28 PM »
I had my stint with 3MX 1, 1.1, 2.1, 3 and 3.1 so as far as the LLL goes, i'm a bit of a 3MX veteran!

I've also migrated to WIcknix Retro distro, which i'm going to play about with seeing what i can see. ^^J 

Interesting to see why people brought this, compared to the LLL can deliver.

"Wow baby i was booorn! With a fast fuuuuse!"
"I wanna go fast!"
"Tango With Added Tango... You've been Tango'd!"

This has been my first experiance with linux, the LLL. Now i have installed it on the laptop that came with M$.!