Author Topic: switching OS elonex onet to Windows CE  (Read 9746 times)

Lochban

switching OS elonex onet to Windows CE
« on: May 15, 2009, 07:27:16 PM »
hi dose any one know if its possible to install Windows CE on to an elonex one t ? ( i was thinking the vershion that comes with the maplins CnMbook) any one know if its possible ? any help would be gratly apreceated.
thanks guys :)

wicknix

Re: switching OS elonex onet to Windows CE
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 11:28:26 PM »
Not legally, no. As with any M$ product you have to pay for licensing fees. You'll find many of these same rebranded notebooks with wince installed but for about $50 more to cover licensing costs.

Now if somebody did a ROM dump of say an old razorbook (the new razorbooks use an arm cpu not mips) you could possibly do it, but you'd also need some way of reflashing the linux boot loader to the windows ce loader. Not really an easy task. Even if you could do it, its totally illegal anyway. Better off just buying the CE version from buy.com for $149.99 (price dropped drastically as of late). Though from what i've read the CE version has major issues. Read this forum thread: http://www.hpcfactor.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13850&posts=56

Cheers.

Lochban

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 09:57:51 PM »
Thanks for takeing time to help me out with this as i suspected its more greef than its wworth im content using the standard os now its upgraded to the latest vershion now if only there were an outlook type mail client that did msn live mail id be content
thanks again for the help. :)

rodonn

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 10:25:25 AM »
I'm not certain this is possible, but Thunderbird has a calendering and task manager plug that gives you the functionality. The addon is called Lightning... again, no guarantees it'll play as a MIPSEL plugin, but...
I've not seen Thunderbird compiled for MIPSEL, but maybe it's among wicknix(sp) packages.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 10:34:19 AM by rodonn »

rodonn

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 10:38:04 AM »
Don't know why the last post was flagged as spam, but here goes.
IF you can find a MIPSEL package for Thunderbird, then the Lightining add-on adds M$ Outlook style functionality.
It's available from the Thunderbird add-on site.

rodonn

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 11:28:11 AM »
and ~I also found this
http://www.ingenic.cn/eng/productServ/kfyd/WinCE/pfCustomPage.aspx
May god ha' mercy on us all...

Lochban

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 09:00:30 PM »
hi Guys thanks to all that took time to anser this post much apreceated ill look in to the thunderbird thing though im not shure if there is a vershion of thunderbird for the LLL with out switching to the 3MX O/S.
anyways thanks again to all for the help.

mewtwo

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 01:35:44 AM »
Thunderbird is rather bloated, I'd recommend sylpheed.

rodonn

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 11:43:27 AM »
Does it support Lightning or some other Outlook-style calendar?

FreddieLAZ

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 07:17:29 PM »
While working on buying a lot of XBurst based laptops the manufacturer offered an option of installing Win CE. However they would have had to use a different WiFi chip, not Atheros but Samsung. But it would have been possible.

So I think someone is making a note of that WinCE support available from Ingenic. As a matter of fact, I'd be interested in offering my customers an option of choosing between WinCE and Linux.