Author Topic: Why Does Linux Have to Be So Complicated?  (Read 7899 times)

phil8715

Why Does Linux Have to Be So Complicated?
« on: April 17, 2009, 11:29:06 PM »
I'm trying to install certain applications such as Pidgin, Skype plugin and Facebook plugin without success.

What am I doing wrong? I'm downloading the applications, then I go into downloads in file manager,extract the files, when they're extracted I try to open them but all I get is a question mark icon with the file name underneath.

Why is Linux so complicated to use? With Windows you just download the files, unzip them if you need to, install the file then run it. Why doesn't Linux just use one executable file or have all files needed packaged into one program?

Also is there a version of Windows like for example Windows CE or Windows Mobile 6.5 I can put on as an ulternative to Linux on my Cnm Minibook?

Can somebody please give me step by step instructions to installing applications?

I'm total novice with Linux.

wicknix

Re: Why Does Linux Have to Be So Complicated?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 11:39:21 PM »
You cant just go install anything you find on the internet with these netbooks. They dont have the standard x86 cpu (intel/amd etc). The plugins you found were not built to run on mips cpu's. Thats like trying to take the windows version of pidgin and trying to run it on your arm9 powered mobile phone. It just doesn't work that way.

You can A) set up a cross compiler for mipsel and build applications, or B) wait and see if somebody else does it.

Currently very few people are building or packaging applications for these netbooks. Whats available and working is listed in a thread on this forum. Those applications are simple to install via the package manager.

Cheers.

Whiskers

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 12:08:59 AM »
I'm trying to install certain applications such as Pidgin,

You already have Pidgin - labelled Xip Chatting, but it is Pidgin.

Skype plugin and Facebook plugin without success.

What am I doing wrong? I'm downloading the applications, then I go into downloads in file manager,extract the files, when they're extracted I try to open them but all I get is a question mark icon with the file name underneath.

Why is Linux so complicated to use? With Windows you just download the files, unzip them if you need to, install the file then run it. Why doesn't Linux just use one executable file or have all files needed packaged into one program?

Also is there a version of Windows like for example Windows CE or Windows Mobile 6.5 I can put on as an ulternative to Linux on my Cnm Minibook?

Can somebody please give me step by step instructions to installing applications?

I'm total novice with Linux.

As Wicknix said, these Little Linux Laptops are far from normal personal computers of any sort; they are very limited machines, with a limited selection of programs compiled for them.  As more users who like doing that sort of thing get around to it the selection will increase, but it will never compete with what's available for Linux on 'full sized' machines.  The method for installing programs in these machines is also unique, quite different from any other Linux system I've used - generally, installing stuff on Linux is far easier and more convenient than it is on Windows, in my experience.  (And if you stick to using what others have already compiled for them, it's pretty easy on these little machines too).

The only 'official' programs available for dowload are on the websites provided by the people selling the machines - eg the Downloads page at <http://www.cnmlifestyle.com/>.  There are also some 'unofficial' packages from generous users such as Wicknix.

utd_grant

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 02:06:21 PM »
Many distributions of Linux are pretty close to Windows in terms of ease of use. I currently run Ubuntu and Puppy Linux on my home desktop and laptop (though Windows XP is generally the OS of choice in our house). Debian-based distros (like Ubuntu) have a fantastic method of installing new software called 'apt-get' (on the command line), or its GUI-equivalent Synaptic. It's basically a huge catalogue of pre-built software for that specific distro/processor.

So if I wanted to install the Audacity sound editor on my x86 Ubuntu machine, I'd fire up Synaptic, search for Audacity, tick it and click on 'Install' and a few seconds later, it'd be available on my menu, ready to go !

Unfortunately, the LLL has no such equivalent and as Wicknix says, you can only hope that someone's taken the time to build an app for the system already (not a trivial task, by any means). In saying that, I'm very pleasantly surprised by just how much extra stuff there is already available for us to download and play about with.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 02:12:33 PM by utd_grant »

alsaf

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 02:23:48 PM »
There has be a few comments like this. I feel the expectations that folk get when they use the LLL does not live up to what the manufacturer's of these machines promise. To me the LLL is somewhere between a personal data assistant and a netbook.  If you install Wicknix's 3MX, which gives it more functionality and ease of use than the original OS, then it isn't that bad.   

I think you will have to realise that there is a bit of a learning curve to get used to it.

phil8715

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 11:39:34 PM »
I've tried installing 3MX but i just can't get it to go in. I keep getting can't find recovery file, and I never get beyond that. I also want Gnash 9 (flash player 9) but I don't even know where or how to install it. To me Linux is a throwback to the 80's where you have input 20 millions lines of code and it might work or it might not.

Why can't Linux be like Windows and have applications ready to run? I know my cnmbook is restrictive but I thought it would have least had the most uptodate flash player installed.

I admit I want to use it for things like downloading BBC iplayer content and downloading it onto my Creative Zen Media Player. Can anybody please supply me with a packaged flash player, or make it ready to install?

If I could strip the operating system and install a light version of windows I would and there was a comment about having to buy Windows I wouldn't mind mine that, at least I would be able to do the things I can do on my desktop.

I have seen the cnm lifestyle applications and games but theres not many,is there other sites where I can get packaged software?

utd_grant

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 12:18:41 AM »
Sorry Phil, but you're just asking way too much of the LLL. You'd be better selling it on and buying a Windows XP netbook like an Acer Aspire One or an EEE-PC. Seriously, this little machine just isn't powerful enough to meet your specific requirements.

Whiskers

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 03:01:12 PM »
There has be a few comments like this. I feel the expectations that folk get when they use the LLL does not live up to what the manufacturer's of these machines promise. To me the LLL is somewhere between a personal data assistant and a netbook.  If you install Wicknix's 3MX, which gives it more functionality and ease of use than the original OS, then it isn't that bad.   

I think you will have to realise that there is a bit of a learning curve to get used to it.

Just what do the manufacturers promise for these machines, which they don't deliver?  When I bought mine from Maplin <http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=225532> I had to convince the sales assistant that I understood just how limited the things are and that they aren't 'just like a normal Windows computer'.

If people have expectations that these machines can't fulfil, perhaps that says more about those people than it does about the machines.

Whiskers

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 03:09:37 PM »
I've tried installing 3MX but i just can't get it to go in. I keep getting can't find recovery file, and I never get beyond that. I also want Gnash 9 (flash player 9) but I don't even know where or how to install it. To me Linux is a throwback to the 80's where you have input 20 millions lines of code and it might work or it might not.

You're exaggerating.  A lot. 

Why can't Linux be like Windows and have applications ready to run?

"Linux" (meaning computer systems based on the Linux kernel) mostly are more fully provided with applications ready to run, than Windows is.  Look at Mandriva, Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, SuSe, etc.  But those systems are wa beyond the capability of these little machines.

I know my cnmbook is restrictive but I thought it would have least had the most uptodate flash player installed.

I admit I want to use it for things like downloading BBC iplayer content and downloading it onto my Creative Zen Media Player. Can anybody please supply me with a packaged flash player, or make it ready to install?

[...]

If those things are what you wanted your new computer to do, why didn't you make sure that you bought a new computer that could do them?