Author Topic: 3 E220 Huawei & CNM Book.  (Read 6186 times)

Emmadw

3 E220 Huawei & CNM Book.
« on: April 16, 2009, 07:41:01 PM »
Hi
I've been trying to get the E220 Huawei dongle working & haven't managed it. When it didn't work initially I've did the following.

1: Followed the instructions on http://194.150.201.35/cnmlifestyle/downloads/recoveryimage.htm - to go right back to the start (so, started by installing the uimage1.zip to get back to v64.

2: Then updated the firmware - so it's now v70.

3: Next, used System update to get any other updates.

4: Then downloaded E220-R3-1201(20080825).info & E220-R3-1201(20080825).patch & ran that.

5: Plugged the dongle in. Got an error message: "The device of USB modem was not found, couldn't connect".
The lights were flashing on the dongle, as they generally do.

Other trouble shooting.
Tried all 3 USB ports.
Tried disabling the wifi (though from reading here, it seems to be more likely that the dongle will affect the wifi than the other way round.
Tried with the power supply in & out.
Tried re-starting a few times.

The dongle's working fine on a PC. The original firmware was 11.117.08. (can't remember the rest of the numbers)
Updated it to 11.117.09.00.00. - still works on the PC - but not on the CNMbook.

Any further suggestions??

Unhban

• Thinks....
Re: 3 E220 Huawei & CNM Book.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 09:27:11 AM »
From what I'm remembering from several posts on exactly this subject.... the answer is that v70 has the patches already applied and by adding them again you screw it up.

Have a search, I think it was Wicknix who proferred the answer.....

Unh.

Emmadw

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 10:12:18 AM »
Thanks, I'll try uninstalling them.
The only refs I could find to not needing them were with regard to it & 3MX (e.g. this thread ) - but maybe it also applies to the un-3MXed version.

P.S. Can you just remove it, or is it better to restore again?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 12:38:47 PM by Emmadw »

alsaf

• Cnm Minibook Mucking About
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 02:59:18 PM »
Emmadw

It's been a while since I used the default OS and I just realised that I have an E160 rather than an E220. 

If I recall correctly, if you have the right patch installed (you may have to install all 3 of them) then the wireless contect app auto-loads when you plug in the dongle. If you try to click on the wireless connect icon before it autoloads you get the error saying that device is not found.

I always connect my dongle in the USB port that is first one on the left hand side.

Emmadw

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 05:44:37 PM »
I'm mystified ... I've re-reinstalled the v70 software; have installed the patch as advised. I've left it for over an hour to find itself ... but still no luck :(

I'll try moving to the 3MX instead ...

alsaf

• Cnm Minibook Mucking About
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 08:20:25 PM »
That's a bit strange.

It may be best to install 3MX as according to the other thread, two other users have confirmed that the E220 works with it.

Emmadw

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 05:57:27 PM »
Well well well...

Not quite sure *what* I've done ... but,

Installed 3MX - which went fine - bar the fact that the Wifi didn't work at all (it showed me the networks - but when I tried to connect to one it just hung. A few posts here made me think that I was one of those 7% unlucky ones who couldn't get it to work ( it had worked fine on Wifi WPA as the default OS)

The dongle wasn't working either.

So, I decided to use the Recovery image ... on the off chance, I shoved the dongle back in . And it worked  :o :o

Wifi's working; Dongle's working ... so I'll stick to the default interface for time being I think.

I don't think that I've now got the patch for the E220 installed (from the cnm site, but I've forgotten - as I've installed it several times & almost died of boredom waiting for it to notice a dongle was attached. Today, it noticed in seconds. I'm happy!

(Now, to figure out if I can persuade the thing to work on the OLPC I've got!!!)

Emmadw

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 01:01:50 PM »
just for reference ... it's now showing as v64, rather than v70 ... which I'd not noticed before. Had I, I probably would have upped it to 70 before trying the dongle.

So, not quite sure what I've done to get it working, nor which patches I've got installed, but it's working, so I'm not adjusting it!

brian

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 09:14:22 AM »
ok so im having the same sagga here !

i started with the e156g modem from 3 (no luck there) gave me the error timed out,link down

i contacted 3 and received the e220 modem ! this is giving me the same error message

im on v70 with the cnm mini book i have tryed 3mx restored to the defult os

any help would be awsome !

(tryed all drivers etc)