Author Topic: Mobil broadband credit  (Read 27031 times)

waldgrun

Mobil broadband credit
« on: April 15, 2009, 02:01:42 PM »
I will post my question here, as I shortly intend to purchase a Pay as you go mobil broadband dongle, can anyone kindly tell me if I have to use any credit purchased within a set time period or does it remain live until you have used your allowance?
( I just can't get my mind around suppliers websites) Many thanks

Metradio

• Help and support for the Motorola HT600E and MT600E ex Police hand-portable radios, for re-use and ham radio frequencies..
Re: Mobil broadband credit
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 06:32:39 PM »
AFAIK Vodafone are the only ones that do not have a set time in which to use up your allowance..

Mike
Mike Burgess
www.ht600e.com
Information on the Motorola HT600E and MT6000E..

CnMBook, unlocked e160g and e169g mobile broadband dongles, trying out the different networks for coverage and speed etc..

waldgrun

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 07:18:11 PM »
Thanks Mike,
                will I think have to have a rethink, I use my notebook mainly on holiday
and only want a dongle when I can't find free wi-fi!

alsaf

• Cnm Minibook Mucking About
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 07:57:56 PM »
Hi waldgrun

Are you from UK?

If you are, T-mobile has a good pay as you go deal which offers a 1 day, 7 day or 30 day pay as you go without any contact. You can switch between the alternate day plans as you please.  While the prices are not a good compared to other networks, the freedom you are given especially when you are not tied in to a contract with the other networks, makes T-mobile an appealing choice.

I've never used wifi hotsposts as there is none in my area but if you are only looking for occasional use of the supplier broadband, it costs £2 a day. You only pay for the days you access the supplier broadband so you don't pay for the days you don't use it on. If you were planning to use it for longer, you would send a text to T-mobile saying for either 7 or 30 day use, after that you would send another text specifying length of use.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:02:33 PM by alsaf »

sharpo

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 10:05:58 PM »
I spent ages trying to work out the best payg broadband, decided on Vodafone K3565 at £39, including 1gb of data and no time limit.

A few e-mails and web pages when out & about over several days only clocked up about 36p worth of data from the 1gb, so it will be many months before I top up with another 1gb (£15)

Sharpo

CnM Minibook, v70, bought April 2009
Vodafone K3565 usb "dongle"
Intended use, e-mail & web access away from home.
Knowledge - none, but I got it set up OK

waldgrun

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 07:48:58 AM »
Once again thanks for replies, and yes here in the U.K.

Unhban

• Thinks....
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 02:11:29 PM »
Just seen on moneysavingexpert.com that 3 mobile are doing an offer of a £30 dongle for £4.95 until 31 May. Have a look here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-mobile-broadband#cheapest

and go down to  Don't want a contract? You can Pay As You Go too

Unh.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:28:21 PM by Unhban »

looplu

• oh i hate celebrities so no pic :(
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 11:08:57 PM »
the best deal at the moment has to be "three" mobile BB for pay as you go, although it's timed (30 days) you get a 3Gig bandwidth for £15 , that's 3x more than allowance than orange/vodafone for the same cash... and as for Tmobile forget about it , that like works out to £60 a month if you use it every day.

compare this:
with "three" mobile bb, 7 Gig allowance pay as you go costs £25 (month) , my mate forks out to BT £25 with a £13 line rental fee for a 20 Gig allowance .

as far as i can see the only reason not to chose "three" at the moment is that you don't use mobile BB a lot and you want the credit to stick. (not timed on vodafone)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 11:11:32 PM by looplu »
if god wanted us to see the morning, he would have put it on later in the afternoon zzzz

Unhban

• Thinks....
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 10:38:49 AM »
Cheers for that looplu. I'm getting to the stage where I need to decide. I got a Huawei (pron. who-are-we?) E220, unlocked, with a free 3 sim off of Ebay for £40.00 incl. P&P. The seller included a note saying that you can get unlimited bb from 3 for a fiver when following his instructions. Not got to that stage yet, but sounds good to me! (if true!)

The problem is that 3 is limited, as you said, to 30 days, so not true PAYG, so will look at Vodaphone too.... But a mate who has a LLL has tried his 3 dongle and finds it doesn't work with the Retro distro, yet does with the original OS. He's back from working abroad at the end of the week so will try mine then with Retro and his signed-up E220 dongle. As you can imagine I have a possibly rough passage ahead!  :o

Unh.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 10:41:11 AM by Unhban »