Author Topic: Minibook & K3565 pay as you go Vodafone broadband dongle  (Read 28108 times)

sharpo

Minibook & K3565 pay as you go Vodafone broadband dongle
« on: April 03, 2009, 11:36:56 PM »
I have one of the above usb mobile broadband devices which works well with my 17" laptop.

Just bought a Minibook from Maplin but cannot connect using the dongle, I get the message "Time out, link down"

Searched the internet & it seems this is an unanswered problem. No mention of it in this forum, so just thought I would ask if anybody has any ideas.

I have followed the set up instructions from CNM lifestyle site, but it doesn't actually cover a K3565.

Any helpful suggestions welcome.
Sharpo

CnM Minibook, v70, bought April 2009
Vodafone K3565 usb "dongle"
Intended use, e-mail & web access away from home.
Knowledge - none, but I got it set up OK

sharpo

Re: Minibook & K3565 pay as you go Vodafone broadband dongle
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 12:24:57 AM »
Solved my own problem, in settings it should be pp.internet instead of internet.

Can't believe it was that simple to get it to work.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 12:27:12 AM by sharpo »
Sharpo

Metradio

• Help and support for the Motorola HT600E and MT600E ex Police hand-portable radios, for re-use and ham radio frequencies..
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:11:06 AM »
Solved my own problem, in settings it should be pp.internet instead of internet.

I suspect the the APN settings for Vodafone might be:

Contract:  internet
PAYG: pp.internet or pp.vodafone.co.uk

Mike
Mike Burgess
www.ht600e.com
Information on the Motorola HT600E and MT6000E..

CnMBook, unlocked e160g and e169g mobile broadband dongles, trying out the different networks for coverage and speed etc..

Unhban

• Thinks....
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:18:14 AM »
There's settings for all the different companies here:

http://www.filesaveas.com/gprs.html

Unh.

Metradio

• Help and support for the Motorola HT600E and MT600E ex Police hand-portable radios, for re-use and ham radio frequencies..
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 12:22:42 PM »

Mike

After having a play with a Vodafone PAYG broadband SIM I find that the only acceptable APN address is:

pp.vodafone.co.uk

Mike Burgess
www.ht600e.com

CnMBook, unlocked e160g and e169g mobile broadband dongles, trying out the different networks for coverage and speed etc..

sharpo

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 03:24:36 PM »

Mike

After having a play with a Vodafone PAYG broadband SIM I find that the only acceptable APN address is:

pp.vodafone.co.uk

Just tried both settings - mine will only work with pp.internet. That is with either 3G or GPRS.

Strange how different settings work for different people!
Sharpo

Metradio

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 04:58:21 PM »
Just tried both settings - mine will only work with pp.internet. That is with either 3G or GPRS.

Strange how different settings work for different people!

Flipping well is!!! Have treble checked with both the E160G and E169G and only the
pp.vodafone.co.uk address works for me, pp.internet just times out..
Might be worth a sticky saying that if one does not work try the other..
Mike Burgess
www.ht600e.com

mikem1

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 10:20:56 AM »
Thanks guys just used pp.internet on my CnM notebook connected firrst time, shame tech oeople at CnM didnt know that???? ;D

Metradio

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 07:39:36 PM »
Think I have figured out why there is a difference in APN addresses -
The pp.internet setting seems to be used for SIM cards originally supplied with the Vodafone PAYG dongle and the pp.vodafone.co.uk setting is required for aftermarket PAYG SIM cards, that you would use in an un-locked dongle that was originally purchased for use with another provider..

Mike
Mike Burgess
www.ht600e.com

utd_grant

• This is not me (sorry to disappoint !)
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 08:44:04 AM »
Good work, Mike ! Very enlightening and insightful.
Elonex ONEt: user since Xmas 2008.
OS Version: ELX-V07 + extras
Ubuntu: user since May 2008.
Windows:  user/programmer since the dawn of time. :)
Linux Level: working towards 'Intermediate'.

Dave M

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 05:43:20 PM »
I got my minibook connecting fine with the K3565 PAYG dongle - just followed the advice above. Changed the OS to 3MX rc3.1 for a few days and then recovered back to the original OS. Now I can't get it to connect at all, it keeps timing out. Dongle works fine on my laptop and has plenty of credit on it - any ideas?

Ooops forgot the drivers what an idiot.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:57:31 PM by Dave M »

waldgrun

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 05:21:22 PM »
Having read various threads, I feel this is the right one to post my question(s),
last week I purchased a  Vodafone K3565 Top Up & Go dongle as a Birthday present for the other half, and with our combinded brains have not been able to connect. Both our machines are running the standard O.S. on kernel V70 so the drivers should be in place. I have followed the instructions on the  CnM Lifestyle website and tried all permutations of the Access point names. Could the problem be the phone number given by Cnm as *99# ?
 Still I haven't yet been able to get the dongle to connect using our main machine!

Anthony

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 02:18:30 PM »
That phone number works OK for me

Freddie

• Programmer since the dawn of time but Linux virgin
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 08:54:27 AM »
Does this thread cover the Vodafone K3565 'Top up and Go'  (1Gig 'never expires') ?

I just bought the dongle a couple of days ago. Alas I fell foul of the Access point name 'pp.internet' problem, but finally got that sorted and it turned out very useful around London and on the train.

BTW I found it worked fine in the rearmost slot on the right hand side, although I now see they recommend 2.5cm away from the skin, so I may have to review that.

But now come the questions....

1) Is there any way of finding out how much allowance we have left while on the CnM? - I couldn't find anything. Presumably I could transfer the stick to an XP machine and find out, but sadly at home in rural Suffolk we have no 3G coverage, so that is a non starter!

2) Is there any way of finding the signal strength? That would be handy.

3) Is there any way of sending email from the CnM email program with it, or do I have to use webmail? Presumably the stick has an address, but how to register it with a vodafone address?

4) How do I receive SMS? The instructions speak of a SIM card being secreted in the stick but no way I could get it out to find the number

Footnote: Since posting this item I have discovered that the dongle covers GPRS as well as 3G - you just need to connect to the CnM via cable in the rearmost slot as waldgrun discovered. So I was able to register via an old XP machine and can now view my balance and make top ups via my Vodafone account webpage - read later post.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 05:20:44 AM by Freddie »
CnM minibook, 128 MB, 2 GB SSD, kernel V70, default Debian Linux OS.
Vodaphone K3565 TopUp and Go Mobile Broadband when away from home

Whiskers

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 01:20:53 PM »
[...]

3) Is there any way of sending email from the CnM email program with it, or do I have to use webmail? Presumably the stick has an address, but how to register it with a vodafone address?

[...]

This will depend on the email service you are trying to use.  Collecting and reading should be OK with your usual email service, unless access to it is restricted to your usual ISP internet connection only. 

Sending emails will require the use of an SMTP server that allows you to 'authenticate' using a username and password - and which allows 'relaying' if you want to send emails 'from' and email address that isn't provided by the same service as the SMTP server.  It looks as though Vodaphone have an SMTP server of their own for this purpose.

You could set up an SMTP-only 'account' for the Vodaphone server in the CnMbook email program, and use that when sending emails while connected using the Vodaphone connection.  If the Vodaphone 'help' page linked to above doesn't get your email working, then Vodaphone are probably the best people to ask for the technical requirements - then you can ask in this forum for help with configuring the CnMbook to meet those requirements.
CnMbook user since March 2009; Linux user since about 2003.