Author Topic: Maplin Minibook - 3MX-rc2 desktop  (Read 3615 times)

Robski17

Maplin Minibook - 3MX-rc2 desktop
« on: April 02, 2009, 09:04:32 PM »
Hi There,

I hope you can help me with this query.....

I purchased a Maplin mini-book sometime last year, I have been using it for recovery of e-mails and surfing though Bon Echo can very slow. I have been waiting for a user group just like this to spring up, hopefully with upgrades. The 3MX upgrade is extremely tempting. So far I have downloaded the software formatted two different SD cards to FAT copied file over, gone through F3 procedure, recovery screen pressed enter, and file could not be read. Copied file over to a USB stick, file can be seen, unfortunately all that happens is a whole line of dots and nothing else, install should take 10 to 15 mins, have left this on overnight, just in case and still nothing. Have tried renaming file to Recovery_Image.img and still no success. Where or Where am I going wrong !!!!

I am wanting the 3MX upgrade particularly as netstumbler is on it. Currently I have my minibook set up to access my home network wirelessly with WEP 128 key encryption. This is absolutely fine, but unfortunately I cannot access any other AP's without getting error messag invalid IP address, which isn't very helpful when I am out and about.

Any assistance you can provide - will be deeply appreciated. Particularly a walk through of all steps to install 3MX. I understand other maplin notebook users have installed it with success - someone please, please help !!!!

Thanks for listening

Leven2e

WiStumbler 2.2
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:41:07 PM »
How about installing WiStumbler? can be found here:  http://www.littlelinuxlaptop.com/software/Wistumbler.htm

Artus Irbe

Re: Maplin Minibook - 3MX-rc2 desktop
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:50:21 AM »
Hmmm... try following my guide and see how it is then.

http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,483.0.html

You have a CnM book... I just press F3 on my Elonex. Also, this is going to sound very patronising, but are you holding down teh right keys? Because it is possible to hold shift or Ctrl instead of Fn.

Sam

Unhban

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 10:26:10 AM »
Jay... this is happening a lot, where newcomers are just not searching first but asking the same questions over and over again, it's getting tiring. Seagull has done a perfectly valid Guide, and there are countless discussions on putting 3MX on the minibook. And the search engine on this forum is very good....

Could we have sticky on the Beginners Board saying in big letters...

Search First, Ask Second!

Robski17

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 08:04:21 PM »
Hi,

I understand your frustrations, but I haven't been ignorant. I have gone through everything I can file re-install. I have given up on SD cards (have formatted to FAT not (FAT 32), have gone through three different makes and sizes - the computer cannot see them). I have had more success with USB drive, gone through to recovery page, it sees USB press Enter for recovery, looks promising lots of dots, and then more dots, and more dots, and more dots, - and nothing !!!

Have renamed file, with no success I just don't understand where I am going wrong !!!

PeteMRU

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 07:47:28 PM »
Hi.

Can someone clear up please. Will Wistumbler work on the standard OS or is it only for the 3MX..

TA.
Pete

Leven2e

WiStumbler 2.2 on defo OS
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 08:10:42 PM »
yes it will.  You can download it from here (for example) : http://www.littlelinuxlaptop.com/wistumbler-2-2/#more-109   :o

PeteMRU

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 08:26:11 PM »
hi Leven2e

Thanks for that. I'll install it now.... It must be said this cnmbook is really under stated its far better than people are led to believe.  I'm trying to get this IMO (Skype) to work It needs a flash player though... It will not work without it. ...YUM ....TAP.G3...RPM....DEB..

Or best to just forget it for now...

Thank you , your a good en..

Pete