Author Topic: Software Listing (Discussion)  (Read 15155 times)

Leven2e

IceWeasel
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 02:45:07 PM »
IceWeasel works on my default system,however no add ons can ve installed on,also can't change any settings at About:config.
Error messages are kinda empty.Keeps saying "null" and you are happy,if you can close them.
The Hun.

wicknix

Re: Software Listing (Discussion)
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 12:35:38 AM »
There must be some missing or outdated libraries on the default OS then. As you can install add-ons, configure with about:config etc in iceweasel from within 3MX. As for elinks, it should work. The only 2 deps it has are openssl which i believe the default OS already has, and ncurses, which i also believe it has. You could try 'links' as its basically the same and see what the results are. Seems odd that some of these same apps work fine for some, and not for others on their default OS's. Though i have noticed slight differences in different recovery.img's. For instance my stock alpha400 recovery was laid out a bit different than the elonex recovery.

Cheers.

Leven2e

Google Presentation (PowerPoint)
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 09:21:44 PM »
Is there an application that supports powerpoint (.ppt) files?

Thanks,

very good  :-\ question...
When I clicked on a .pps (PowerPoint) file in Bon Echo,the browser automatically offered and opened it in Google Docs. Not very fast,as you would expect..
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 09:24:37 PM by Leven2e »
The Hun.

manxbradfordian

Re: Software Listing (Discussion) - Elinks
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 08:25:08 PM »
I tried links and it worked fine. Then tried elinks again and it appeared to work fine at first too and then didn't again.  It had me baffled for a bit as I couldn't get it to work at all and then occasionally it would for an odd site.  In the end it appears to be that if you load a site in links and then open elinks you can then go to the same site you just viewed in links.  But no other sites work, you can then go to another site in links ad if you close and re-open elinks it will then work in elinks but the first site will no longer work!  Odder still, all pages on that site will work in elinks even if you didn't view them in links.  Obviously the programs have no interaction other than the fact that they presumably use the same or similar calls to connect to the pages.  I furthur tested that BonEcho seems to have the same effect as links - i.e. the last site you opened in BonEcho works in elinks after restarting elinks.  This led me to believe it might be DNS related so I tried navigating by ip address in elinks - that works fine for everything! (although obviously not very useable when you want to follow external links on pages and some sites need the host name).  I thought I  found now that every site I browsed by IP address in elinks now works if I use the domain name corresponding to any of those IP addresses but not any site I didn't visit by IP address. However when I tried to close and reload elinks then again it all stopped working other than the last site visited in links and while using IP addresses on their own worked fine, using the corresponding domain name did not.  So I've come to the conclusion that the issue is DNS related with elinks and most be down to some difference in the call it makes to connect to websites or the call it uses to resolve DNS - i'm assuming that whatever call elinks uses has a bug in the default OS, but I may be wrong.

moniker

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 08:06:54 PM »
I'm considering buying one of these notebooks, but need to know if I can compile things with 3mx first. Some work I do requires dropbox, the source of which is available... it in turn requires  GTK, Glib, Nautilus, and Libnotify. Are there suitable development packages available within 3mx to compile these programs?

wicknix

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 01:09:35 AM »
Short answer, yes and no. Gcc is installed in 3MX-rc3.1 (as is perl, python, ruby and tcl/tk), but i've only included the libc6 header files which is enough for simple 'hello world' type programs (to save space). If you were to download all the required .deb packages from a debian etch mipsel repository you could then extract them to the root of the filesystem and have a fully working development suite on the LLL. You'd need make, automake, autoconf, and libtool for sure, then any -dev packages. Such as x11-dev, gtk-dev, glib-dev, jpeg-dev, png-dev sdl-dev etc etc etc to build anything usefull.

FYI, if you need something as heavy as nautilus, this machine is not for you. Spend $50 more and get an eeepc.

Cheers.

Sprocket

• Happily running from one crisis to another.
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 10:13:08 PM »
Hiya, apologies if this sounds too noobish, but, well, I am kinda.
I got 3mx working wonderfully well on my cnm, but when I tried one of the little hello world type programs out of a book I kept getting an error. It seems that it's lacking G++ support...Could someone please tell me how I sort it out? Or if I can, even. I don't want to re write Killzone2 or anything, I'd just like to have a little bash  ;) at learning C++ (Since that is the book I have, and I'm a cheapskate).

Your help would be greatly appreciated.  ;D

wicknix

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 04:01:01 AM »
This may not sound too easy, but it really isn't that hard. If you need to add g++ you can do this. Using the LLL w/rc3.1 go here: http://packages.debian.org/etch/g++-4.1 and download the mipsel version of g++. Also grab the libstdc++6-4.1-dev package. The other files/dependencies are already in 3MX-rc3.1.

Now the easiest way, is to open midnight commander (mc) and navigate to where you downloaded these 2 files. Now highlight g++ package and hit enter. Mc will let you browse the package without extracting it. Now in the other pane of mc make sure you are at the root of the filesystem ( / ). Switch back to the open package and just copy over the contents inside g++/data.tar.gz. Do the same for libstdc-dev. Reboot and you're good to go.

Cheers.

Sprocket

« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 08:50:57 PM »
Thanks, mate.

I'll let you know how I got on. :)

Sprocket

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009, 09:15:46 AM »
g++-4.1_4.1.1-21_mipsel.deb      That the one?

I ask because mc doesn't seem to be able to do anything with it.

I get this error- usr/lib/perl5.8.8    usr/local/share/perl5.8.8   and more
, all seeming to relate to perl.

Am I missing a package? or have I messed up?

(sorry about all this, I won't need my hand holding forever promise).