Author Topic: Software Listing (Discussion)  (Read 15156 times)

Unhban

• Thinks....
Software Listing (Discussion)
« on: March 30, 2009, 11:11:56 AM »
This is where any app. etc posted in the topic Software Listing (Links) can be discussed.

Wicknix has just posted a few additions to his packages, one being naim - a console client for AOL Instant Messenger (AIM), AOL I Seek You (ICQ), Internet Relay Chat (IRC), and The lily CMC. This looks quite cool and its website is here:
http://naim.n.ml.org/about

Unh.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 02:21:48 PM by Unhban »

KneeOn

• "The Baby of LLF!"
Re: Software Listing (Discussion)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 01:11:05 PM »
what is the fxsm emulator? have i missed something... it sounds like a games emulator... any information would be appreciated.
"Wow baby i was booorn! With a fast fuuuuse!"
"I wanna go fast!"
"Tango With Added Tango... You've been Tango'd!"

This has been my first experiance with linux, the LLL. Now i have installed it on the laptop that came with M$.!

duttydea

• You wont know untill you search, then ask!!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:42:32 PM »
The post on trendtac hyves seems to think it will work!!

When launching from console what error does it give!!

I'm sure on the post it talks about libraries.

Will have a look when I get home

Unhban

• Thinks....
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
fmsx seems to be to do with running MSX games ROMs. Read the message by Ruben posted at 23.39 on page 6 here:

http://trendtac.hyves.nl/forum/2703996/KO7q/ALL_ABOUT_THE_3MX_DISTRO_BY_MATT_O/#searchhyver=&show_reactions_1=6&hub_threadlist_1=1&__state__=1

DuttyDea... worth adding the description to your Links post?

Unh.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 03:25:55 PM by Unhban »

ak87

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 05:36:31 PM »
Is there an application that supports powerpoint (.ppt) files?

Thanks,

Leven2e

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 07:55:16 PM »
Is there an application that supports powerpoint (.ppt) files?

Thanks,

very good  :-\ question...
The Hun.

davemoore

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 07:59:53 PM »
Easiest way I have found to "support" .ppt is google docs upload to google docs and it can handle ppt files and display them - don't make them too complex though! Only other way I could find is OpenOffice but there isn't (as far as I can find) a MIPS version?

duttydea

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 08:16:06 PM »
What about Flash!!
http://www.ispringsolutions.com/download.html

Its not entirely free (Banners!!),

but maybe this could be an option!!

Unhban

• Thinks....
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 06:50:57 PM »
Hey Dutty! Just a little confused about the .3MX extension of some file downloads in the Software Listing (Links) thread. I presume this means this file has only been tested with the 3MX distro and not the original LLL OS?

And to get it into the Software Installer program on the LLL you need to change that extension to .xap ?

But then.... isn't a .info file needed too,  to install the .xap file, or have I missed a trick?  :o

Unh.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 06:54:02 PM by Unhban »

duttydea

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 07:15:50 PM »
Hey Dutty! Just a little confused about the .3MX extension to some file downloads. I presume this means this file has only been tested with the 3MX distro and not the original LLL OS?

And to get it into the Software Installer program on the LLL you need to change that extension to .xap ?

But then.... isn't a .info file needed to install the .xap file, or have I missed a trick?  :o

Unh.

The .3mx extension was an edit / addition by Wicknix in RC3.

When using xap-install the file name of the old .xap file was either too long or had invalid characters ???  :-[ resulting in an error!!

I think a result Wicknix has modified the .mkxap file and produced the new .mk3mx file creating a shorter file name and a new extension of .3mx!!

I don't think there has been any change to the way the file is packed or anything just renamed to fit the way 3MX works.

I Use mk3mx http://www.freeshells.ch/~wicked74/alpha400/packages/3MX-rc3/mk3mx when packaging .deb files for LLL as a result!!

Not to sure on the Default OS or RC1.1, I only use RC2.1 and now RC3 but think you can still use the instructions from Wicknix on http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,346.msg2203.html#msg2203

If you REALLY need to install packages in rc2, there is still a way to do so. You just wont be able to uninstall them. Just copy the .xap (.info not needed) to the root of the system ( / ) using mc (you'll know your in the right directory when you see all the system folders and the flash_eraseall file). Then extract the package by using this command ' tar xvf example-package.xap '. Thats it. Package installed. Now delete the .xap file from the / directory.

Wicknix is the best person to ask about the changes and reasons.

Cheers, Hope I Helped!!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 07:25:52 PM by duttydea »

wicknix

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 09:23:55 PM »
Yea i guess i shouldve said something about that.. heh. The old naming scheme from the original mkxap script failed with xap-install because of the 'invalid characters' in the file name. Namely the ( ). I also wanted an easier way for people to understand what works in 3MX rc3 only and no other previous version of 3MX or default OS. Besides i thought it'd be cool to have a 3MX specific package extension just like debian has .deb, redhat has .rpm etc etc.

The .info is not required to install .xap or .3mx packages with xap-install as that script simply extracts the package. Renaming .3mx to .xap will let the default os/rc1.1 installer see the package, but i can almost guarantee those apps wont work as both the default os and rc1.1 dont have the required dependencies installed to make them work.

Duttydea, keep em coming! Takes a load off my shoulders.  ;)

Cheers.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 03:14:10 AM by wicknix »

duttydea

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 09:12:50 PM »
I am updating jwm-backup.

After chatting with Unhban I have decided to make the following changes:

• mkxap & mk3mx Compatible? with some help
  • Will now backup /root
  • Dedicated Backup Folder (lll-backup).
    Will be created if doesn't exist.
  • All files backed up will have their correct folder paths.
    Example: jwmrc will backup to /USB/USB_1/lll-backup/etc/jwm/jwmrc
  • Will now backup your pixmap folder (/usr/share/pixmap)
  • Unhban suggested that I include Iceweasel's Favorites. I don't know where they are stored!! ??? 
  • He also suggested backing up the wifi setting: I seen them before but cant remember where they are!

I cant really think of anything else!!

Can you?!!  or do you have any suggestion?

Cheers Guys

wicknix

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 01:16:05 AM »
Thats a good start for a backup script. Iceweasels bookmarks etc are in /root/.mozilla so backing up /root already takes care of that. :)

Now here are a few suggestions, though it might be a lot of work making a script with these functions added.

Backing up directly to USB/SD is not really a good idea unless the USB/SD card is formatted ext2/ext3. The reason being is that fat/fat32/ntfs file systems cant handle 'long file names' so it'll rename or shorten filenames. That could potentially create lots of problems. Secondly fat/fat32/ntfs file systems automatically change every file's attributes and marks every file as an executable.

Now there is an easy way around that however. Just have the script backup everything you want backed up, but have it copy them to say /tmp, then have it tar or zip them into a backup archive, then have it move the backup to a USB stick or SD card. Once the files are safely tarred or zipped the contents are safe from the issues i mentioned above.

You could easily make an .xap or .3mx package also. Using MC make a directory in /tmp called backup. Now copy /root to /tmp/backup. That leaves you with /tmp/backup/root. Now mkdir /tmp/backup/etc/jwm , then using mc copy /etc/jwm/jwmrc to /tmp/backup/etc/jwm. That leaves you with /tmp/backup/etc/jwm/jwmrc. Now copy the mkxap or mk3mx script into /tmp/backup. Then cd /tmp/backup and run ./mk3mx my-settings-bkup root etc   ...you now have created an .xap or .3mx installable backup file. :D  You can then safely delete the backup folder in /tmp after you move the .xap or .3mx backup package to your usb/sd card.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 01:28:06 AM by wicknix »

Felix

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 08:37:53 PM »
Can someone compile tinyhoneypot and the snes emulator plz.. thx.

P.S: I tried and failed miserably, epic fail..  :P

@ wicknix I just got what you meant by "editing it all by hand.."  :o
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:40:00 PM by Felix »

manxbradfordian

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 11:29:40 AM »
Tried elinks and iceweasel uploaded by wicknix on the default OS and neither appear to work?  elinks loads fine but times out trying to connect to any website (BonEcho works fine).  Iceweasel comes up with an error when loaded saying "The application you start encounters error" and never appears.  I assume that these are caused by missing or older versions of some dependencies which are presumably present on 3MX.  It certainly seems as if the problem with elinks should in theory be a simple one - with whatever it uses to make the connection to the server - although I know that getting things to compile and work correctly on these devices is rarely simple!  Not sure if installing any other applications would contain what they need to work - has anyone else tried them on the default OS?  I've installed rdesktop and vnc fine (which were a great addition to these devices so thanks wicknix).