Author Topic: Huweai E220 working on 3MX?  (Read 13963 times)

alsaf

• Cnm Minibook Mucking About
Re: Huweai E220 working on 3MX?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 07:06:02 AM »
wicknix

If I recall, when I tried editing the blackjack settings last week, I got an error saying that /dev/ttyUSB0 was locked by another process. I think this was caused by the 3G connect program supplied with the drivers auto-loading  when the dongle is mounted. I noticed the same thing happening when I installed the default OS as it only worked when you let the 3G connect program auto-load rather than clicking on the icon. The time-out error that a lot of folk are experiencing may be caused by this!!!

duttydea

I haven't tried wifi yet as I have the 3G dongle and I don't think there is any free wifi hotspots in my local area.

duttydea

• You wont know untill you search, then ask!!
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 11:34:02 AM »
duttydea

I haven't tried wifi yet as I have the 3G dongle and I don't think there is any free wifi hotspots in my local area.

Thats Cool,

Just wondered if your wifi is still being detected.

I was gonna buy a E220 (Maplin) but have no use for it if i cant get it working on my LLL!!!

Wicknix:

Is there a command that can be used to tell you if a modem. "ttyUSB0" or "ttyACM0" is connected?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 12:33:04 PM by duttydea »

alsaf

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 05:05:14 PM »
I think I have a wireless route lying about somewhere, If I have some spare time I'll dig it out and try it although I'm not promising anything as I don't want to be bogged down trying to fix a feature that I won't really be using.

As to the device name, as the E220 is a generic model, it can't see it not being /dev/ttyUSB0. You can find out by typing in terminal:

ls /dev/tty*

This will display all devices that begin with tty. It should be one or the other.

Also remember, you will have to change the details for your mobile network  and it's DNS addresses. I think somebody posted a website with the DNS addresses of all the major UK networks.

Edit: Wireless does not work. I typed in the command iwconfig which displays details of wireless connections set up and there is none. I was thinking, this might actually work without the need for the E220 drivers. Can someone please give it a try and confirm if this is true.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:51:30 PM by alsaf »

wicknix

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
You should not need to reinstall the e220 drivers. They are already included in 3MX. Whatever they changed in the new e220 drivers seems to knock out the wireless drivers. I would suggest not reinstalling the latest e220 drivers. It shouldn't be needed.

alsaf: Yeah its a good possibility that the new drivers lock /dev/ttyUSB0 or that the new software or whatever is included in the package is more than likely is conflicting with something. 3MX-rc1.1 is the only release mostly compatible with skytone, cnm etc patches/drivers. All later releases more than likely are not as 3MX changed and moved far beyond in terms of software/drivers and library upgrades.

Cheers.

nspur

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2009, 03:33:42 PM »
You should not need to reinstall the e220 drivers. They are already included in 3MX. Whatever they changed in the new e220 drivers seems to knock out the wireless drivers.
I can confirm that this is the case. However without the E220 driver from CnM being installed my E220 isn't recognised. But then with the CnM drivers there's a timeout and no connection.

I can't get alsaf's solution to work because my system doesn't have a ttyUSB0 device and I don't know why not. If it did, I'm sure that solution would work.

alsaf

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2009, 07:05:19 PM »
I re-installed 3MX and tried the blackjack script, without installing the E200 patch,  but it did not work.

I installed the E200 patch but it did not work. I then installed apMobileConnection & driverModem-v70 patches and the blackscript script worked.

As with nspurs comments, installing the 3G patches knocks out wireless.

alsaf

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2009, 11:04:57 PM »
Good news and bad news.

First the good news, The reason why wifi is knocked out is because the E220 installs a file which excludes the wifi Kernel modules from loading which causes the error. To fix this:

Open Terminal
type mc then press Enter
goto folder /etc/init.d
goto file modules
Press F4
Move down to Line 34 which says drivers/usb/acm.o"
Remove the " so it says drivers/usb/acm.o
Press Enter
add the following lines:
    net/dm9601.o\
    net/zd1211.o"
Press F10 to save and exit
Reboot LLL.

Wifi is reinstalled.

Lastly, the bad news. I had reinstalled 3MX to see if there was a particular 3G patch that works but I have installed the 3 patches and the blackjack script does not work. Like nspur, I don't have /dev/ttyUSB0 when I connect the 3G dongle. There doesn't seem to be any logical reason why it works one time but doesn't the next.

Edit @: I managed to get the blackjack script working again. I've ran the wifi program and I don't get the error message. I've modified the howto with extra instructions:

http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,474.msg3475.html#msg3475
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 11:25:49 PM by alsaf »

wicknix

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 12:28:24 AM »
Just for good measure i made a device entry for ttyUSB0 in the upcoming rc3.1 release. Hopefully with any luck that is all thats needed. I had to add ttyACM0 manually back in rc2 to get my cell phones modem recognized, so i hope this works for you all.

Cheers.

nspur

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 01:36:45 PM »
Open Terminal
type mc then press Enter
goto folder /etc/init.d
goto file modules
Press F4
Move down to Line 34 which says drivers/usb/acm.o"
Remove the " so it says drivers/usb/acm.o
Press Enter
add the following lines:
    net/dm9601.o\
    net/zd1211.o"
Reboot LLL.
Wifi is reinstalled.
http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,474.msg3475.html#msg3475
Thanks for the tip. To get wifi working I had to insert
/net/dm9601.o\
/net/zd1211b.o\  note the b suffix
and I inserted these lines in the middle of the driver declaration section rather than at the end.

Also thanks very much for the update on getting the E220 family to work, which it does. I've found that the best way is to flick the 'phone icon (after which it said either "no USB0" or "USB0 locked by ...") and then click the Enable Huawei Driver menu item and because the script behind the phone item re-runs on failure you do get a connection fairly quickly.

alsaf

Re: Huweai E220/E160 working on 3MX?
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 11:18:04 PM »
Thanks nspur for the info. I've updated the workaround with your details.

I installed the new version of 3MX but it does not have /dev/ttyUSB0.  I got the Major number of ttyUSB from /proc/devices and created it with the following command:

mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0

Unfortunately it comes up with the error can not open file. I'll google around tomorrow to see if there is additional steps required to setup a device file. It would be great if you could get the 3G working without the rigmarole of having to load patches and all the other stuff.

Incidentally, I've just noticed that the 3G dongle I have is an E160, not sure where I got the E220 from.   
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 07:32:08 AM by Jay »

jiml

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 10:54:32 PM »
The detail below worked for me (rc3.1 Final with E220) without adding any drivers ... So well done "alsaf".

Ongoing it would be cool if 3MX used something like 'umtsmon' for 3G dialling.

btw the last two lines;

net/dm9601.o\
    net/zd1211b.o\

were already there, although as

net/dm9601.o\
    net/zd1211b.o"

I just left them alone.

Jim!

finally got the E220 to work on 3MX. The steps to do this is as follows:

Install apMobileConnection patch
Install driverModem-v70 patches
Install E220 patch

Open Terminal
type mc then press Enter
goto folder /etc/ppp/peers

Click F4 on blackjack
Edit the first line to say /dev/ttyUSB0
at line 8 that starts with user, enter the username you use
at line 9 that starts with password, enter the password you use.

Press Cursor to move to blackjack-chat
Press F4
At line 9, enter your Access Point Name (all you are doing is replacing the second string in quotes to whatever it is for your network. T-mobile is general.t-mobile.uk). For example, this is mine:
OK 'AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP", "general.t-mobile.uk"'
Line 11 may need to be amended if your phone-number is not *99#. If so, replace this with the phone number for your network.

goto folder /etc/ppp
scroll down to resolv.conf
Press F4
add the Primary and Secondary DNS server address for your mobile network in file.

goto folder /etc/init.d
scroll down to modules
Press F4
Move down to Line 30
Press Enter to produce a blank line
add the following lines:
    net/dm9601.o\
    net/zd1211b.o\

Reboot LLL.

Insert modem

When wireless connection wizard appears, enter settings as normal, using GPRS as connection type. Click on connect and wait until time-out error.

Click on the telephone icon which is the last one at the top of the screen. A window will open and if all goes well you will get a connection.

If clicking on the telephone icon does not work, load wireless connection wizard again. Click on telephone icon. Hopefully this should work.

Edit: note from npsur: I've found that the best way is to flick the 'phone icon (after which it said either "no USB0" or "USB0 locked by ...") and then click the Enable Huawei Driver menu item and because the script behind the phone item re-runs on failure you do get a connection fairly quickly.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 10:56:19 PM by jiml »

cy8erpunk

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 03:12:19 PM »
Try as I might, I am still unable to get my Huawei dongle to work. I've tried editing the blackjack scripts, but everything I try keeps telling me it can't detect /dev/ttyUSB0 I've applied all the CnM patches, and edited /etc/init.d/modules to re-anable wifi, but nothing is working.

Are there scripts that run when "Data/Cell connect" initialises? Perhaps these need to be edited to get it to recognise the dongle?

cy8erpunk

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 04:11:16 PM »
Had a poke around, and the program called when you click on "Data/Cell connect" is "ppp-wireless" I've also had a poke around in the /etc/ppp/ folder to see if the problem might be in there, still no joy. Mines is the E169G and works fine under the default OS, if that helps.