Author Topic: Badge and Power Switch problems  (Read 3066 times)

Alek

Badge and Power Switch problems
« on: March 26, 2009, 08:10:59 PM »
I seem to be unlucky when it comes to "small" hardware problems :-(.

I have tried to erase "paw marks" from the top of my LLL by rubbing it on my jumper and caught one of the sharp corners of the little white parallelogram badge, which says "CnMbook TM", and peeled the corner away from the lid (about 5 mm of the badge length). And now the thing will not stick back down. That is, it sticks for about a couple of minutes but then comes up again. Has anybody had any experience with this? Does anyone know what glue you can use to mend it? I am always a bit weary with plastics because some of them tend to react funny with various glues (like go matt, go porous, melt).

The other thing is that my Power Switch has stopped working on the first press. I need to press it about five or six times (including holding it down on some occasions) before even the two little green leds on the front edge come on.

Should I just take the thing back to the shop and exchange it for another?

Richard2112

Re: Badge and Power Switch problems
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:10:49 PM »
Mine came without a badge, just a shallow recess, so I would suggest just taking it completely off and gently removing any remaining glue!

I think the switch thing is just getting the time pressed right, but I'm new to this machine so don't really know.

Whiskers

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 11:15:14 PM »
Mine came without a badge, just a shallow recess, so I would suggest just taking it completely off and gently removing any remaining glue!

I think the switch thing is just getting the time pressed right, but I'm new to this machine so don't really know.

The 'on/off' switch on mine needs to be held down for 'a heartbeat' to power the machine up; a quick press and release does nothing.  I assumed that was a deliberate design feature to reduce the risk of an accidental power-up draining the battery.
CnMbook user since March 2009; Linux user since about 2003.

Metradio

• Help and support for the Motorola HT600E and MT600E ex Police hand-portable radios, for re-use and ham radio frequencies..
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 06:12:28 PM »
I seem to be unlucky when it comes to "small" hardware problems :-(.

I have tried to erase "paw marks" from the top of my LLL by rubbing it on my jumper and caught one of the sharp corners of the little white parallelogram badge, which says "CnMbook TM", and peeled the corner away from the lid (about 5 mm of the badge length). And now the thing will not stick back down. That is, it sticks for about a couple of minutes but then comes up again. Has anybody had any experience with this? Does anyone know what glue you can use to mend it? I am always a bit weary with plastics because some of them tend to react funny with various glues (like go matt, go porous, melt).
(...)

Double sided Selotape adhesive tape works well..

Mike
Mike Burgess
www.ht600e.com
Information on the Motorola HT600E and MT6000E..

CnMBook, unlocked e160g and e169g mobile broadband dongles, trying out the different networks for coverage and speed etc..

dartdrinker

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:56:12 AM »
My Maplin MiniBook yesterday started (or rather failed) to be quite unreliable on the power button. It also tended to lock up on exiting the browser. I found that when I eventually got it booted by multiple presses of the button that removing all the add-ons from Bon Echo brought it back to health. Pity as I quite liked the forecastfox function, but the time to load the web pages is now much quicker, even with adblock removed.

Also you perhaps need to completely remove the badge and make sure its flat before re-sticking it