Author Topic: Onet+ wireless router for ADSL  (Read 3476 times)

Brianb

Onet+ wireless router for ADSL
« on: March 19, 2009, 09:52:21 PM »
Hi Guys,

I have an Elonex Onet+ and I'm considering buying a wireless router to access the internet (BT ADSL landline).  Access speed is not too important, no video or music downloads, no games, just boring browsing.  At £29.99 (Novatech), complete with USB adapter, the Philips CKA5720 (good brand) seems a good buy.  Adverts commonly say that it works on Windows XP and Vista (perhaps to reassure those who might doubt it) and that installation is easy with the installation wizard, which also sounds like a Windows environment.  Does anyone know definitely whether the Philips CKA5720 will work on a Onet+ and whether setup is straightforward.

Brianb 

genericname1

Re: Onet+ wireless router for ADSL
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 06:26:38 PM »
I can't say i've used it with that specific router but should work fine, might be a good idea to cnnect it with a cable for the initial configuration. shouldn't need the usb adaptor either as has built in wireless.

Leven2e

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 07:09:49 PM »
yeah,the OS is not relevant since it will be set up via the browser.Alternatively set up on an XP or other machine.The wifi dongle is not required anyway.
The Hun.

Unhban

• Thinks....
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 10:57:19 AM »
If you're going to connect it to your PC via the USB adaptor be warned.... these things using USB can take a lot out of your PC in the way of speed, hangups, etc. as I well know. The normal method is to use an Ethernet card in your PC if it doesn't have an Ethernet port as standard, and use a RJ45 cable to connect to the Ethernet port on the modem/router. Then, the PC sails along....

This is expecially true with Linux distros where Ethernet is always the normal route.

The above might sound off topic but I feel is worth knowing.....

Unh.

Brianb

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 10:02:14 PM »
Hi guys,

Many thanks for your replies.  I'm making progress and learning a lot.

Brianb