Author Topic: swap drive on SD-card ?  (Read 15235 times)

jimux

Re: swap drive on SD-card ?
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »
B aefore we finally close this subject may I add:-
I, and many other, have run a swapfile on an SD card on Linux satellite box for 2 years without serious problems.
Linux lets you have multiple swap files/partitions.  If in doubt create a set of small (20Mb) swap files and use a batch file to mount them so they are always in same sequence.  Probably only the first one or two will get used, and a failed 20Mb file on a 2Gb card is no big deal.

jimux

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2009, 12:02:09 PM »
B aefore we finally close this subject may I add:-
I, and many other, have run a swapfile on an SD card on Linux satellite box for 2 years without serious problems.
Linux lets you have multiple swap files/partitions.  If in doubt create a set of small (20Mb) swap files and use a batch file to mount them so they are always in same sequence.  Probably only the first one or two will get used, and a failed 20Mb file on a 2Gb card is no big deal.

jimux

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2009, 12:52:51 PM »
And, absolutely finally, with 60 Mb of swap files (3x20Mb on SD/SD_2 -     a 2Gb SD in 2 partitions) the machine is transformed.    I tend to leave BonEcho open with a few tabs and loading Midnight Commander under Xtermwas painfully slow.  It is now virtually instantaneous.
A free command shows 716 bytes of swap used.  Not a lot but enought to stop needing to shuffle data about.
Moving the mouse over the desktop has also lost that slight sluggishness.

21 Aug - Update:
I have been using swap files for 2 weeks and have seen as much as 21Mb used when Bon Echo is open with 4 tabs plus xterm plus software installer.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:50:01 PM by jimux »

T_Nut

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »
Hi all
managed to get swap file working on sd card now .how do you edit the file it goes into
and which one so it will start on reboot. half way there just that last bit
i would be gratefull for any advice on how to do it.
many thanks
Andrew

EDIT process moniter says swap is on is the swapfile ment to auto mount on 3mx ultra 3
or not .if so why not working getting very annoyed now spent 7hour try to get this to work >:
still a newbie .need a howto on this for newbies
Many thanks Andrew
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 06:07:06 PM by T_Nut »
A linux Newbie. unemployed and getting bored