Author Topic: Am impressed..  (Read 5144 times)

Metradio

Am impressed..
« on: February 28, 2009, 11:30:20 PM »
Purchased a Minibook from Maplin in Slough today and must say I am impressed, with the installed V70 firmware it detected my E160G mobile broadband dongle on the '3' network and after entering the network connection info from the www.cnmlifestyle.com site it connected and ran no problem.. I also tried the wireless connection to my Orange Livebox mini which is set up for WPA2 security, after pairing the Minibook to the Livebox and entering the security key this also connected and ran with no problems.. ;D

Mike

Wildheart Baby

Re: Am impressed..
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 02:05:19 PM »
It looks like you managed to get one of the mini books, that is doing what it should be.

I think you might upset some of the other members around here though.

Metradio

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
It looks like you managed to get one of the mini books, that is doing what it should be.

Do you think I should take it back ??  ;)

Mike

Wildheart Baby

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 05:48:02 PM »
Nah, you just seem to be luckier than some of the others.

ThatWikiGuy

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 06:43:23 PM »

Do you think I should take it back ??  ;)

Mike
Sorry, Mike, no offence intended but "Waaaaaa, my laptops too good, i'm going to take it back."

Artus Irbe

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 10:27:17 PM »
Now come on mike,

Wheres the fun if it works like it should? i think you should sit on it a few times, loosen the keyboard, f*** up the OS using mc and use the most tedious methods possible to make things fun! :D

And since this site is full of complaints, keep it on the quiet that you got a goodun, cos we will lynch you for it :D
were nice like that!

Metradio

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 10:05:45 AM »
Thanks for the replies :)

Mike

MikeyGMT

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 12:10:29 AM »
I treated myself to a new CNM Book just after Christmas. Pretty impressed too, it has to be said! And all for the price of a weekend on the beer. It recognises my old Wireless B WiFi router. Picks up USB data sticks easily, battery isn't too bad really. It's ok for general browsing, but kids a bit disappointed when they can't use some features of facebook, youtube or flash games, also means I can't goss to mates either.   Fingers crossed for a flash solution soon. I tried to connect it to my Nokia phone to pick up the pictures on it, but did not get far with it. So I'll try the SD card out of the video camera instead. We're taking her to Spain tomorrow so see how she works on the hotel wifi! Am going to have a good play about on it at the apartment, been so busy with work, not had a chance to use it much of late.

Not only am I impressed, I have been given a renewed interest in Linux. A few years ago, I tried to revive old banger PC's with RH9 Linux and found it was not for the feint hearted, especially for WiFi. A house move or two getting in the way of leisure time sort of killed off my interest in Linux. With the CnM, I was so impressed, gained a new momentum and found Puppy Linux. I gave it a go on an old PC which was close to meeting it's maker. It came with windows ME, miserable edition IMHO, sooo sluggish. That now has a lease of new life - it goes like a rocket with Puppy on it. I looked into home automation too recently and saw linuxMCE, which looks fantastic. Not really worked out what I am going to do with it, but will do.

I think it's great, because I've got bored of M$, and this little chap has got me interested again - Fab!

utd_grant

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 01:22:06 AM »
Puppy Linux is incredible ! I'm constantly amazed at how slick it makes old PC hardware run.

You've found the right community for these little machines. Hope you find some great tips and advice as you browse the various boards. Make sure to try out 3MX; Our resident LLL programming guru - Wicknix - has created something special there (Don't be afraid - it's easy to recover your machine to its default setup if you have any problems).

MikeyGMT

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 10:19:38 AM »
 :) I sure will have a play once I am back from hols.

I'd love to get BBC iPlayer working too... anyone had success with that. Sad as I am, on the costa's and needing the today program or moylesy! Such a brit... but I love paella, so am trying LOL

I have downloaded IP Radio, but it is demo only with 4 preset stations. I could not work out how to register it.
 :D

Leven2e

MikeyGMT

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 11:43:28 AM »
Wow! Excellent folks! I followed the Add-On tip for MediaPlayerConnectivity, I chose version 0.8.3. Went to shoutcast and now I can listen live! Fantastic. Not sure if IP Radio helped in anyway, but I would advise the newbie like me to try the above first.

I have looked at 3MX which is very impressive, I will definitely give that a whirl when I'm home again.

Much Appreciated!

Mike