Author Topic: Anti-virus  (Read 5444 times)

Greyseal

Anti-virus
« on: February 27, 2009, 08:41:24 PM »
Hi
Being new to the CnM I don't know what sort of things it does.
I want to use it for the internet. What do I have to do about virus protection etc.?
Thanks

Wildheart Baby

Re: Anti-virus
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
As it's a linux based laptop, you won't need to worry about viruses.

ThatWikiGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 07:53:27 AM »
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, that's the funniest thing i've heard all year

utd_grant

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 01:20:31 PM »
ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, that's the funniest thing i've heard all year

I don't know why you're laughing - Wildheart Baby's advice is sound.

The chances of malware finding its way onto a CnM machine which could do anything at all, never mind anything damaging, is virtually nil. Firstly, it's doubtful if it'll be targeted towards Linux system calls, and secondly it'll almost certainly be written as an x86 binary. The MIPS processor in the CnM won't run x86 code.

You're about as safe as you can be using the CnM to surf the Web.

Greyseal

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 06:57:13 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
I understand what both sides are saying.

Cheers

ThatWikiGuy

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 06:35:55 PM »

I don't know why you're laughing - Wildheart Baby's advice is sound.

The chances of malware finding its way onto a CnM machine which could do anything at all, never mind anything damaging, is virtually nil. Firstly, it's doubtful if it'll be targeted towards Linux system calls, and secondly it'll almost certainly be written as an x86 binary. The MIPS processor in the CnM won't run x86 code.

You're about as safe as you can be using the CnM to surf the Web.
i've came across software on the web that is written to runs on mips and x86 and more all in one

wicknix

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 01:01:24 AM »
i've came across software on the web that is written to runs on mips and x86 and more all in one

I hate to call you out on this, but you're barking up the wrong tree. The fact is there was only ever one virus that actually 'infected' linux. It was called bliss and it was written over 12 years ago. Dont try telling me or anybody else that you found a piece software that runs on more than 1 architecture. Thats total crap. There is and never will be a binary that can run on more than one type of cpu. It's impossible. Sure the code could be recompiled for each individual cpu type, but an all-in-one binary? Thats complete BS. I'm not trying to be a dink, but spreading false information rubs me the wrong way. Don't even try to prove me wrong, because i will win.

Cheers.

Wildheart Baby

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 04:59:18 PM »
This would be an interesting showdown.

Wicknix has the big guns.

thcrw739

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 03:22:20 AM »
Hey Wikiguy

Can you point me to one of these amazing viruses you speak of?

I'd love to try it out.

Mijzelf

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 08:26:27 AM »
I don't want to be perky, but multiplatform binaries *do* exist, within certain definitions. They are called java- or flash applets. And I know, the java or flash virtual machine is supposed to isolate this applet, so it can't do any harm, but theoretically someone could find a securityhole and write a multiplatform virus.

Having said that, I don't think the OP needs to be concerned about this. It's rather a hypothetical than a achievable menace.

Balti

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 09:31:34 AM »

I hate to call you out on this, but you're barking up the wrong tree. The fact is there was only ever one virus that actually 'infected' linux. It was called bliss and it was written over 12 years ago. Dont try telling me or anybody else that you found a piece software that runs on more than 1 architecture. Thats total crap. There is and never will be a binary that can run on more than one type of cpu. It's impossible. Sure the code could be recompiled for each individual cpu type, but an all-in-one binary? Thats complete BS. I'm not trying to be a dink, but spreading false information rubs me the wrong way. Don't even try to prove me wrong, because i will win.

Cheers.

I hate to disagree on the idea of multi architecture binaries, but it CAN be done, it needs a a knowledge of Assembler (which means this probrably shouldn't be on the newbie boards) but here's an example for ARM (used in RiscPC's, mobile phones and a zillion other devices) and 6502 (used in Apple 2's Commodore 64's and BBC Micro's).

Its also possible in ARM and X86 but I dont have the source for that to hand, since I did all this at least 10 years ago to prove a Computer magazine wrong on the same point.

The trick is to assemble a short sequence of code that is valid for both CPU's thay in one architecture translates to a jump or branch instruction, and is legal, but probrably useless in the other.

for ARM / 6502 the 4 byte Sequence EA 00 01 EA is all you need

On the 6502 it's nonsence but legal, on an arm it translates to a forward jump. you just insert your 6502 code after this sequence, and the Arm stuff at the destination of the Jump.

Easy!

Whether the same thing can be done with a Mips processor and any other depends on the instruction set, but as Mijzelf says no one in the shady world of virus writers is going to target the Minbook when there are so much easier targets in the Wintel world.

utd_grant

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009, 01:29:07 PM »

Here's a challenge for you, then:

Post a link to any piece of malware which will inject itself into a LLL and run, simply by surfing to an infected webpage. It doesn't even have to be multi-platform - it can be targetted specifically at the LLL, default OS and the default build of Bon Echo.

Until that time, it's a bad idea to tell a new poster that they're unsafe on the Web with the LLL. FUD (and mockery, for that matter) is no way to welcome more people into this fledgling community.

Artus Irbe

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009, 10:18:50 PM »
Now im no expert. So im not gonna try to explain any points im just gonna say remember that these laptops are meant to be fun.

Lets keep the number one place for these things fun in the same way.

Ignore the whole fight. Wick who is a trusted programer says its impossible to get x86 and a mips running virus but two others say it is possible. SO IGNORE THEM. TBH, so long as your a sensible browser, dont download at the drop of a hat and keep to safe sites that you trust, you should be fine! and if not theres always the good ol' recovery to perform. Screw the technical stuff! XD

utd_grant

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 09:08:44 AM »
Sensible, pragmatic words young Seagull me lad !   ;D

Leven2e

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 02:03:51 PM »
Now im no expert. So im not gonna try to explain any points im just gonna say remember that these laptops are meant to be fun.

Lets keep the number one place for these things fun in the same way.

Ignore the whole fight. Wick who is a trusted programer says its impossible to get x86 and a mips running virus but two others say it is possible. SO IGNORE THEM. TBH, so long as your a sensible browser, dont download at the drop of a hat and keep to safe sites that you trust, you should be fine! and if not theres always the good ol' recovery to perform. Screw the technical stuff! XD
very true!