Author Topic: Cnm book  (Read 2667 times)

Steve.660_

Cnm book
« on: February 21, 2009, 02:46:46 PM »
Hello hope someone can help?

I have just purchased this mini laptop

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=225532

And have tried to connect it to the internet via modem cable in the ethernet port on the back and it keeps coming back saying connect to server does anyone have clues as to why this happens?? and how i can solve this other than getting wi-fi.

Excuse the dumbness...

Thanks.

davemoore

Re: Cnm book
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 03:02:58 PM »
Hi Steve
By "modem cable in ethernet port" do you mean an ethernet cable from your adsl modem/router which has an adsl connection already established? If so I would guess that your minibook is not picking up an ip address from your router by dhcp and you may have to supply it with a static ip address.

Steve.660_

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 03:17:36 PM »
Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply i will now try and supply it with a static "ip address" it is asking for the address,netmask,broadcast and gateway all of which i have apart from broadcast what is this.
I am currently getting all my info from the network connections folder

Steve.660_

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 03:41:06 PM »
Still no luck saying cant find server??

Unhban

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 03:59:46 PM »
If you go into your adsl modem/router menu system is it showing that its found your miniboook OK?

Also, have you used that ethernet cable before, so it's been proved OK?

Just a shot in the dark when you've tried those, but when I first got my minibook back last September I had to put in the DNS IP addresses of my ISP for it to find any sites.....

DHCP should work OK if you have a valid link to your ISP, as DHCP queries your ISP for things like IP Address, VPI, VCI, etc and then sets up your minibook with the correct parameters.

I don't use an ethernet cable though but wifi, so hope something I've mentioned just helps.....