Author Topic: SD card  (Read 3382 times)

johnc321

SD card
« on: February 18, 2009, 01:02:50 PM »
Forgive my ignorance but what is an sd card? is it worth me getting one for my cnm notebook? and what are the pros/cons of using one for this notebook? i have checked wikipedia etc but has little to say in relation to my laptop, many thanks in advance.

ThatWikiGuy

Re: SD card
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 02:12:57 PM »
An SD card is a portable storage unit (much like an external hard drive but smaller).Pros; it would hold the recovery file if you muck up your laptop, they are more storage compatabily, they let you tranferre files from this to a pcCons; not all of them work (sometimes they get hot in shipping and brakes the circuits insideI would suggest getting one.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:24:47 PM by Jay »

utd_grant

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 03:00:04 PM »
If you do get one, an SD card reader for your main PC is a 'must-have'. My Acer desktop has one built-in, but you can get external card readers which plug in to a USB port from any electrical/computer/camera shop. I think you can even get them at supermarkets these days.

Another advantage of SD cards is that they hide neatly inside the laptop, whereas a USB memory stick can be a bit of a pain, sticking out the side or back of the unit.

Leven2e

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 08:48:17 PM »
Memorycard.Put your mp3s on them,or anything u need. Storage extension.
SD cards are one of the most widely used card in digital cameras too.

Unhban

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »
SD cards are one of the most widely used card... full stop. Used in all sorts of electronic equipment it is a must have, especially at the price.... here:

http://svp.co.uk/product/memory_sd_2_gig_sd_card_insd2g_integra018

If you have OS version below v70 in your minibook format the SD card to FAT16 in your PC, or if v70 format to FAT32 in your PC.

Wildheart Baby

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 06:59:37 PM »
A four gig one for eight quid.

That's a very good price, though I'm not sure if the ascent one would be any good.

waldgrun

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 10:14:32 AM »
A couple of points which I feel are worth sharing, Poundland recently had a range of computer items including plug in usb readers for SD cards, an of course you know the price already! ;D
Secondly in most cases you can also use MMC type cards, best way to describe this is an earlier form of SD card without the write protect switch. Useful knowledge if you find a cheap supply!

Unhban

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 11:13:46 AM »
Secondly in most cases you can also use MMC type cards, best way to describe this is an earlier form of SD card without the write protect switch. Useful knowledge if you find a cheap supply!

Just a warning, from a post I think a little while ago, when someone tried their card and it didn't work. It was found out to be an MMC (i.e. MultiMedia Card) card, which indeed looks very similar to a SD card (but aren't the connecting fingers differently spaced?).

Post #4:
http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,216.0.html

Post #28:
http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,5.15.html
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:18:04 AM by Unhban »