Author Topic: a few questions  (Read 4572 times)

ThatWikiGuy

a few questions
« on: February 14, 2009, 01:33:41 PM »
 ???
how easy is it to compile programs for this laptop?
 ???
how easy is it to make a distro?
 ???

Leven2e

Re: a few questions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 02:17:33 PM »
must be very easy!!  ;D

ThatWikiGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 02:49:39 PM »
yeah well i wanna get into that "buisness", i wanna learn

Wildheart Baby

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 06:02:33 PM »
???
how easy is it to compile programs for this laptop?

Once you have the development tools installed, it's fairly easy, remembering the time I programmed in c, it's just a case of loading the source code into the software and hitting the compile button.

As for distro's there was an article in linux format that took you through step by step, so I guess it must just be select the programs and apps you want to be part of it

ThatWikiGuy

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 07:56:33 PM »
Once you have the development tools installed, it's fairly easy, remembering the time I programmed in c, it's just a case of loading the source code into the software and hitting the compile button.
Were can I get these from?

As for distro's there was an article in linux format that took you through step by step, so I guess it must just be select the programs and apps you want to be part of it
Surely it can't be as easy as adding the programs, don't there have to be starup scripts and all that jazz

Wildheart Baby

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 09:17:56 PM »
Erm, the person to ask would probably be Wicknix for both questions.

Though http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Build_your_own_distro seems to be full of very useful information.

I was trying to find a tool chain that would allow you to do this, as it would be handy to have.

wicknix

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 11:08:41 PM »
Honestly i'd say 1) not easy and 2) really not easy.

If you are new/newer to linux and have never compiled anything before, i can honestly say you would get so lost and confused you'd pull you hair out. I've been do both for years, so it comes fairly easy to me. I'd have to write a book to explain it all.

A good place to start would be http://openembedded.org as OE supports x86,arm,mips and sh4 cpu's. It has extensive documentaion on cross compiling and making rootfs/userland/distros.

If you just want a mipsel toolchain for basic cross compiling use one of these: ftp://ftp.ingenic.cn/3sw/01linux/00toolchain/

Other than that, google is your friend. Again this isnt something you should try unless you have a very good understanding of how things work. Cross compiling doesnt always work and you have to edit makefiles and code to get certain things to build for other architectures.

That all being said, by all means if you figure it out and pick it up quickly, the better off we all are. I'd like to see other people get in on building applications and distros.  ;D

Cheers.

Wildheart Baby

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 12:06:13 AM »
I knew you'd be the person to ask.

I had the idea that, you would need to edit and change little things.

ThatWikiGuy

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
If you are new/newer to linux and have never compiled anything before, i can honestly say you would get so lost and confused you'd pull you hair out
Your right, i got the impression that it was just like windows program where you downlaod the x86 source from the net and press a compile button.
A full on jargon-optional tutorial nby you would be great

Unhban

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 01:16:37 PM »
Hey, That Wiki Guy! Have you never used a wiki? Bet not! :) Why ask someone to take the time and trouble to write a full on tutorial? He's even given you links!  :)

And there's always wikis :)

ThatWikiGuy

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »
Hey, That Wiki Guy! Have you never used a wiki? Bet not! :) Why ask someone to take the time and trouble to write a full on tutorial? He's even given you links!  :)

And there's always wikis :)

yeah, i used to be addicted to wikipedia (hate wikipedia now) (still love wikis).
and i didn't click on the wiki link because i didn't knwo it was a wiki couse you dont know until you clcicked on it (PARADOX - WORLD EXPLODES)