Author Topic: Windows  (Read 13265 times)

Leven2e

Elonex ONEt on Fedora Desktop (qemu)
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2009, 03:04:42 PM »
Have you seen this picture yet?It's from the trendtac hyves.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 03:07:10 PM by Leven2e »
The Hun.

Jay Turner

Re: Windows
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2009, 05:16:14 PM »
yeah come across it before but it has a problems like no battery ststus, the redness
Elonex OneT + Software hacks + 4Gig SD card

Wildheart Baby

• Is that a niner I hear.
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2009, 06:14:03 PM »
i was thinking about that but i wasn't sure it would let you use linux in it

Yep, it works just like as if you started with a new computer without an operating system.
You run it and then it allows you to install any operating system you wish

You won't be able to make use of mips based software, since you are running it inside your x86 box, unless there is a way of emulating it.
You should also know that your computer is probably five+ times faster that the mini laptop.

Jay Turner

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2009, 07:52:41 PM »
Yeah, I got a wonderful pentium 3 (best i've had) i'll get my brother to download me the stuff i need.
What about http://x.cygwin.com/ ?

Jay Turner

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 10:54:54 AM »
has anybosy here ever used http://x.cygwin.com/

Jay Turner

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 11:23:33 AM »
im testing  it out now, im lucky i got a spare windows disk if it messes it up
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 08:57:04 PM by Jay »

utd_grant

• This is not me (sorry to disappoint !)
Ubuntu Live CD ?
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 01:22:15 PM »
Be aware that you can run Ubuntu off a CD without having to install it onto your hard disk. It's best to have at least 512 Mb of RAM before trying this though, as it uses memory for its swap space. Also, it takes a few minutes to boot and detect hardware, etc. But at least it is an option for running a Linux distro on a PC without affecting the Windows installation in any way.
Elonex ONEt: user since Xmas 2008.
OS Version: ELX-V07 + extras
Ubuntu: user since May 2008.
Windows:  user/programmer since the dawn of time. :)
Linux Level: working towards 'Intermediate'.

dan1123

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 06:15:18 PM »
I use cygwin all the time at work.  It's great.  You can either have a separate X desktop to run a whole Gnome or KDE environment on, or run individual apps right on the windows desktop.  Even integration like cut and paste work between cygwin and windows.

It is a little tricky to set up (meaning you have to get all the appropriate packages when you set up), but once you have everything up, you can run a batch file and get a whole Linux desktop up.

wicknix

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2009, 01:35:38 AM »
Cygwin is ehhh, so so. If you want something REALLY cool to play with try this: http://www.andlinux.org/
Runs a full linux desktop and applications transparent with windows desktop. Its really quite neat.

Jay Turner

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2009, 02:18:41 PM »
Cygwin is ehhh, so so. If you want something REALLY cool to play with try this: http://www.andlinux.org/
Runs a full linux desktop and applications transparent with windows desktop. Its really quite neat.
Tryed Cygwin, didn't work. thanks wicknix i'll test this

MikeyGMT

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 01:12:02 PM »
I have been playing with PuppyLinux on an old banger PC, pleased because it runs like a rocket, compared to WinME it came with. Still learning my way around the system. You can run it from a stick or single cd, but you do, as previously said, need spare disc space to store your personal settings and that. Ideal for beginner like myself. Although it I have not ran it from within windows, it can read all the hard discs, so you can still access your windows My Docs, My Music etc.

utd_grant

• This is not me (sorry to disappoint !)
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 04:42:51 PM »
2nd vote for Puppy Linux over here - it really is the dog's b0ll0x (groan !). Seriously, it runs like lightning on crappy old hardware and seems to support a lot of peripherals out-the-box. I use it on my old laptop and have Ubuntu on my desktop machine, but I'm tempted to try Puppy on there, too. I wouldn't even have to replace Windows or Ubuntu - the boot file for Puppy can remain on an NTFS or ext3 disk occupied by another OS. If you don't want to interfere with any OS, then the Puppy Live CD is pretty quick to boot and detect your hardware. Ubuntu Live can take forever if you've got less than about 512 M of memory.
Elonex ONEt: user since Xmas 2008.
OS Version: ELX-V07 + extras
Ubuntu: user since May 2008.
Windows:  user/programmer since the dawn of time. :)
Linux Level: working towards 'Intermediate'.

amsfitz

• Defenatly too good looking to be me
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 04:06:32 PM »
google Kde on windows, as you can download and run applications on windows.
OneT+  user since march 2009

linux skill level nill

rodonn

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2009, 11:52:59 PM »
I've tinkered with VMplayer under Vista. The Kubuntu VM image is quite stable. I've not looked to see if my *NIX weapon of choice, PC-BSD has the VM.
That picture of MIPSEL running on Windows... is there any more detail, or do I have to dust off my incredibly bad Dutch? (I can say 'I haven't the faintest idea' like I'm a native... but that's about it...)

rodonn

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2009, 11:53:45 PM »
I've tinkered with VMplayer under Vista. The Kubuntu VM image is quite stable. I've not looked to see if my *NIX weapon of choice, PC-BSD has the VM.
That picture of MIPSEL running on Windows... is there any more detail, or do I have to dust off my incredibly bad Dutch? (I can say 'I haven't the faintest idea' like I'm a native... but that's about it...)