Author Topic: Hot-Swapping USB memory sticks.  (Read 2269 times)

utd_grant

Hot-Swapping USB memory sticks.
« on: February 09, 2009, 11:12:20 AM »
I've found I can only get the OneT to recognise a memory stick if you plug it in before switching on. If you take it out and plug it back in with power on, it disappears from the File Manager screen.  ???  I don't have this trouble with SD cards - I can swap them any number of times and they'll show up fine.

Is anyone else experiencing this behaviour ?

The external USB floppy drive I tried acted the same way. Indeed, the only USB device I've found which will hot-swap cleanly is the cheapo USB optical mouse that I bought from Asda. Everything else requires to be plugged in at power-up time.

Leven2e

refreshing
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 11:29:16 AM »
does it appear again after pushing the refresh button in the file manager?

utd_grant

Re: Hot-Swapping USB memory sticks.
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:36:23 AM »
Nope, I have to do a CNTL-ALT-DEL to refresh the desktop before it'll be seen again. I've used two different brands of USB stick. Both are formatted as FAT (not FAT32) and both exhibit this behaviour. They work fine on PC's, etc.

utd_grant

Re: Hot-Swapping USB memory sticks.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 01:36:59 PM »
Hmmm, I think I just got unlucky with the two memory sticks. They're both old designs, low capacity. I plugged in a friend's more modern 2Gb stick and it instantly mounted and bacame available through File Manager. Guess I'll just have to invest in a new stick from a reputable supplier.

Oh well. Thanks for your input, anyhow.